Font size used in postings

Ratsun I have just become aware that Ratsun is putting members on Mod Approval on posts because of using Size 18 fonts in posts.  What is wrong with this?

I had trouble reading posts before I had 3 eye surgeries and now I have to use reading glasses to read the posts do to the size of the font.

By requiring people to use the I believe it to be size 10 font  you are limiting readership to those that can correct their vision with glasses or have new enough computers that are capable of magnifying the font to be able to read it.

Why the censorship?

Ratsun is threading on violations of the disability act. 

What is your purpose?

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to play the dissability act card???? First it's one member bitching about it and he's not dissabled, his 'father' is. How is allowing one member to use a larger lettering helping him read everybody else's posts, or his father for that matter???

If you can't read your computer screen you can adjust it. Your computer is very capable of expanding the print size for easy viewing. Press the CTRL and the + key repeatdly to make suitably larger and you can read everyone's posts larger. This was explained in depth to this one member and he complied, for a while, and the mod review was lifted. He went back to the large lettering and bold print and was put on review. If his posts are reasonable sized they will be allowed. No one here is more special than the rest. That... is the way it is..

• Like 4

I for one appreciate a uniform structure to things I read. Larger fonts are the same to me as CAPITALIZING EVERY word

All browsers have a built in zoom feature. This allows you to scale up everything on the forum to a readable size no matter your vision. The offended member was told this the first time he was put on mod review.

Capture2.jpg

Why would typing your font bigger make it any easier to read anyone elses posts? 

• Like 2

I too have poor vision.  And I also am cheap, I am still using a old school CRT 4:3 monitor.  I have my browser set to make the posts take up as much width as is possible on my screen, and in fact, I have to scroll slightly left and right to read the beginning or end of a long sentence.   

If you post in an oversize font, it makes me do even more scrolling.   I like Mike keeping things uniform.  It is, after all, his sandbox we all are playing in.

• Like 2

Not sure about what member is being discussed in here ,,but.

I have been censored about many things on here but i have never been put on mod revue for posting large font,,, now that's not to say i haven't noticed some of my posts have miraculously changed font size overnight ,,, but that's about it.  Was member asked to stop and refuse too in confontational way,,, cuz that'll do it.

• Like 2

I have been censored about many things on here but i have never been put on mod revue for posting large font,,, now that's not to say i haven't noticed some of my posts have miraculously changed font size overnight ,,, but that's about it. Was member asked to stop and refuse too in confontational way,,, cuz that'll do it.

yes he was asked to stop, I saw it. member got pissy and I was happy uniformity was returned.... Ish
  • Like 3

You are going to play the dissability act card???? 

This really rubs me the wrong way Mike, he has a legitimate concern. Charlie just told you he has vision issues and you tell him he's playing a disability act card. I get it, The American Disabilities Act is reaching, but this is a SHITTY way to start a conversation like this. Being disrespectful of other members concerns and circumstance does not come off as strength, in fact it looks quite the opposite.

I can totally get behind a standard size, but can we please make it larger than 10, say maybe 14. Often zooming has it's own issues with older machines. If there's a legitimate functionality issue with larger font size, fill us in. 

BTW, if you're using a mac you can use the "accessibility" under system preferences to adjust everything on your screen from contrast to minimum font size displayed.

• Like 1

Upfront, I have been disabled for 17 years according to the government, since 18 according to my genetics. Incurable diseases and all. As a result, lost all my teeth by 32, eyesight started to suck around the same time and to top it off I can't hear worth a shit.

BUT, I am going to defend Mike on this. When a person has a "legitimate" complaint, voice it backed by the reason of failing eyesight, if needed you could even state that it is due to a disability. AFTER all reasonable methods of reasoning and discussion has failed a person may wish to bring in the ADA into the conversation.

The OP brought the ADA in as a threat from the get go, not cool in my book.

With this said, the ADA is very busy defending issues of magnitude. We as a disabled person need to make sure that we want to burden the ADA with the matter if all other options have been exhausted. Along with that, we do not want to be seen as one clothed with an ADA sandwich board sign.

• Like 2

I have very poor vision. Currently, I can't even use my left eye. With that said...

I feel it is my responsibility to find ways to work with my situation, not for the rest of the world to accommodate me.

Play the hand you were dealt, people. Make the best of it. Stop wasting your time worrying about insignificant shit like this.

Ratsun is run by a small group of folks. They do a pretty good job, IMO. (Why we keep coming back).

Damn! Almost fell off my soap box. :D

• Like 5

I can get behind all of these points, and I still think there's a better way to start this conversation that going straight for the attack. What Charlie said was his subjective observation of this situation. I didn't see it as a threat. 

I am legally blind and I'm fortunate to get help from other blind people in learning how to compensate. I too feel it's my responsibility to seek out this help, and to pull my own weight, but I'm still respectful of other people's viewpoints and circumstances. 

• Like 3

You are going to play the dissability act card???? First it's one member bitching about it and he's not dissabled, his 'father' is. How is allowing one member to use a larger lettering helping him read everybody else's posts, or his father for that matter???

If you can't read your computer screen you can adjust it. Your computer is very capable of expanding the print size for easy viewing. Press the CTRL and the + key repeatdly to make suitably larger and you can read everyone's posts larger. This was explained in depth to this one member and he complied, for a while, and the mod review was lifted. He went back to the large lettering and bold print and was put on review. If his posts are reasonable sized they will be allowed. No one here is more special than the rest. That... is the way it is..

AFAIK member is NOT disabled. If his father would adjust his monitor he could read everybody's posts.

I have been censored about many things on here but i have never been put on mod revue for posting large font,,, now that's not to say i haven't noticed some of my posts have miraculously changed font size overnight ,,, but that's about it. Was member asked to stop and refuse too in confontational way,,, cuz that'll do it.

It was explained and there was one excuse after another. It's a simple adjustment on everyon's keyboard. If you don't have it you should.

• Like 1

Press the CTRL and the + key repeatedly to make suitably larger and you can read everyone's posts larger.

Press and HOLD the CTRL key WHILE:

Either

1. Pressing the + or - buttons to zoom in or out, to adjust the screen's viewing,

OR,

2. Press and HOLD the CTRL key WHILE "rolling" the little roller on top of your 'MOUSE' forward or backward, to adjust the screen's viewing. :geek:

You feel me, now? :w00t:

Go on about, my lil mice! :hug:

Lol!!!

• Like 1