'81 4x4

Abnrml1

I'm back again and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my 720. My main concern right now is which engine to use. I want to build the truck to take moderate trails and back country roads across the country. I would like to be able to pull a small expedition type trailer (less than 1,000# loaded). I was told that the z22 would never have the power to pull the trailer so I've been thinking about building the 231 v6 that I have but then I'm hearing that the 231 is a bad engine and wouldn't last 50,000 miles.

I know that I could do a KA swap but I live in a little turd hole town and we have one wrecking yard and the next closest one is at least 40 miles. The yard here has a KA but I was told that the truck it came out of had almost 200,000 miles and he wants $600 for the long block with no guarantee. I'm on a very tight budget and I need to do this right the first time.

I have the 231 and I have .030 over pistons for it as well as a Performer intake. I know that I'll have to modify the pan so I'm ready for that but I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it? I have had this truck for a very long time and would like to keep it but if it won't do what I need it to what's the point. Thanks again for all your help.

100_3335_zpsatbjb7rw.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z22 will pull a trailer no problem. Just take a look in the "DO WORK SON!" Thread in the truck section. You'll be amazed at what people pull with these trucks and even older trucks with L engines.

Yeah, I've had at least 800 lbs of skid loader tires and rims in the back of my truck. It will pull the trailer, you just have to hold gears a bit longer.

Personally I'd use a VG30 v6 for a swap, putting anything other than a Nissan engine into a Datsun/Nissan seems a bit sacrilegious to me. Plus they came in 4x4 models and the oil pan may need less drastic mods to fit. May be a bit lighter as well. I'm not familiar with the 231 or its weight.

Z22 will pull that trailer fine. It might be a bit slow up hills, but it will pull fine. My step dad hauls around about 3k of trailer and tools daily with his z24 4x4. The z24 puts down a little more power, but not enough to mean you couldn't pull your trailer.

Vg makes a good swap option. Even the later 3.3 is showing up in junkyards pretty commonly now. Not sureabout the 231 don't know anything about it.

I appreciate the advice. I would much rather stay with the z22 and keep it as much Datsun as I can. Most of the trips that I will take will be myself and my Catahoula so I won't need anything but the truck. If I can get my wife out I would take along a trailer to make things a little more comfortable for her.

As far as tire size with the stock engine I was planning on running a 235/75 and those ugly stock rims. I would love to go with the 31"BFGs that I have but I think the 235s will work better. Guess I'll head to the engine building forum and learn about the z22.

Thanks again.

I ran 31's on my '81 and they only rubbed when turning into an uphill driveway, so not good for off road. The tires came with my truck and looked great so it didn't bother me much, but I'd go with 235 like everyone else said.

Edit: I did do a leveling kit and be shocks all the way around on that truck, before it rubbed like Lockleaf.

I ran 31s on my 81. I think my torsion bars are maxed out Im not sure. It had 29s on it till i blew the retread out. Put a set of bald 31s from a 1/2 chevy on bashed inside the fender and cut a litle away and it only rubbed when I was hauling ass and drifting corners on the pavement. Never rubbed when I went out 4bying. My dad cut out his fender right along his bodyline on his 80s single cab 4x4 and his 31" boggers did fine.