'62 Falcon Econoline

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone can relax on the cast vs. forged question... we're NOT lowering it.  I sat my fat ass down inside while installing the radiator and John said, "With your fat ass in there, we can't lower it or the tires will rub."  Y'know, or something to that effect.  Oh yeah, the radiator did arrive today and I got it installed.

• Like 1

Got the original starter tested and it's good to go, so it was reinstalled. Then got a new exhaust gasket and installed the header. It does foul the factory throttle linkage so that will need to be sorted...

20150911_143446.jpg

20150911_145651.jpg

Bought some new radiator hoses and as it turns out, neither one fit. Top was the wrong shape and both hoses were too small a diameter to fit the radiator itself.    :sneaky:

So we took the bottom one and recut it to use on the top, then found a lower at the store that almost fit and made it work. Had to cut out one of the angles and install a section of straight pipe, but it should work fine now...

20150911_155426.jpg

Also put in a hose as a heater bypass. Filled it up with water and no leaks so far. Will check again once it runs.  :thumbup:

• Like 5

Does it actually have the giant retarded wing on it? 

Yes, yes it does... in fact, the first thing I thought when he pulled in next to me was, "Oh lord, what the hell is that winged thing doing here?" but the rest was so friggin' cool that it made up for it.  We're talking full on "Shaggin' Wagon" inside.  I'm not sure if it was a water bed, but it wouldn't surprise me.  The thing even had a bathroom... with a shower and everything.  I tried to take pictures of it (that alone should tell y'all just how cool it was if a Luddite like me tries to use mobile technology to document it) but failed miserably.

Didn't know you or your family was working on the BNSF railroad. My family did the same. Small world.

Yarp, I was the Audio/Visual Guy for the corporate office campus for the last fourteen years.  Got a better... well, I got another offer and left back in May.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looked at several options for fitting up the cone filter and intake tube to the carb hat. None looked great...

For a goof, decided to see if a regular 14" drop filter would work. Turns out it does...   :rofl:

20150926_131835.jpg

It will be super close to the wall and lid of the doghouse, so we decided we will see if we can find a 12" filter housing with a 2" tall element (unlike this 3" tall element)...  :thumbup:

• Like 3

So I went to the shop today to start wiring the van.  After taking everything off of the dash, I began looking at places to mount the fuse box.  John had suggested the glove box, but I wanted to look around a bit.  Finally I decided that the glove box was the best place to put it.  I removed the old box, nasty assed carpet thing full of rat turds, probably gave me Junta Virus, and threw it away.  I grokked the opening for a while and decided to go to Metal Supermarkets for a sheet of steel to make a new box.  After cutting and bending the box, I got the hair-brained... is it "hair-brained" or "hare-brained"?   Anyhoo, I got the idea that I would TIG weld the corners to make it a nice solid box.  Yeah, there are days when Tim can weld and there are days when Tim can NOT weld.  Want to guess what today was?  Yup, there's a big red check mark in the old "NOT" column.  I got so pissed off that I cranked up the voltage and burned a giant hole in the thing.  It is probably salvageable... we'll see.  I sent a picture to John, lettuce see if he makes posting of it.

• Like 1

So I went to the shop today. I began looking at places to mount.  John had suggested the glove, but I wanted to look around a bit.  Finally I decided that the glove the best place to put it.  I removed the old nasty assed thing, probably gave me Junta Virus.  I grokked the opening for a while and got so pissed off that I cranked and burned a giant hole in the thing. After that I called it a day and went home.

I sent a picture to John, let's see if he makes posting of it. 

To wordy so edited

Please spare us the picture. Those that want it can PM you 

It is probably salvageable... we'll see.  

I made the suggestion that "hey, what if we use the hole that the welder put in the box as the hole for the harness to go through?". So we did. 

Tim cut the hole out a little bigger for the bundle of wires to fit through, then drilled some mounting holes, and notched the edge to clear the hinges and latch. After that, a bit of paint...

20151003_120123.jpg

Tim got a fat piece of rubber hose, put it around the wiring bundle and taped it up for abrasion resistance...

20151003_120212.jpg

Then mounted the fuse box to the glove box, and bolted it in...

20151003_130140.jpg

• Like 4

Don't let his modesty fool y'all.  He goaded and prodded me to get this far.  He even took the tools out of my hands at one point to fire me up.  I had to "Nick Burns" him with a "MOOOOOOVE!" when he wasn't putting the glove box in correctly.  But I wouldn't be this far along without Mr. Datsunfreak.  So... many thanks to you sir.

• Like 2

I dropped the fuel tank and took it to the radiator shop to be flushed and stuff.  I'm kind if hoping he calls back to say it is terminal so I will have an excuse to put in big-assed saddle tanks instead!  Y'know, since I don't have ENOUGH projects and SO much time and money!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...