'62 Falcon Econoline

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the van, had a 62 Eco.

Pulled the 200ci motor and 3 speed out, installed a 280ZX and automatic into it (turbo would have been sweet), fit right in there and drove great.

The 280ZX with autos are cheap (everyone wants a manual), but auto does best as it just required a B&M Shifter to get it working, yank the column linkage off was the best.

There are power disc brake kits and rear axle upgrades too through some referencing on Google.

Have fun on it :)

Until I have a horrible accident which removes either one of my legs or both of my testicles, I WILL NEVER OWN AN AUTOMATIC.

You don't get to down town Seattle much, must be nice living where it's flat

Okay maybe I'm lazy but stop and go traffic or traffic moving slower than you can idle in gear on an incline get's real old around here for a daily

and try and send me text while eating a Whataburger in traffic

098jkjkj_zpscpg94zrf.jpeg

• Like 1

must be nice living where it's flat

Or where heavy traffic isn't really a thing.   ^_^

And compared to Seattle, it is "flat" here. Compared to West Texas/Kansas/Iowa, not so much. 

And I personally would prefer an automatic in something like this. But I get where he's coming from...

• Like 2

You don't get to down town Seattle much, must be nice living where it's flat

Okay maybe I'm lazy but stop and go traffic or traffic moving slower than you can idle in gear on an incline get's real old around here for a daily

and try and send me text while eating a Whataburger in traffic

098jkjkj_zpscpg94zrf.jpeg

There are actually a few places around here that you have to depress the brake and clutch at the same time to keep from rolling.

• Like 1

If you had a bit of money to spend on finding a Dodge 4BT Cummins, that would be a great swap too.

280ZX with automatic is just an easy to find and supportable drop in swap, they are cheap, might get lucky with a 280ZX Turbo find.

At first on my 62 Eco, I pulled the 170ci out and swapped in a 200ci, had to adjust the shift rods as 3rd would pop out.

Its a good motor to add a turbo and switch to propane for higher octane and no longer need to tune a stupid carb.

• Like 1

... swapped in a 200ci... Its a good motor to add a turbo and switch to propane for higher octane and no longer need to tune a stupid carb.

Hmm, interesting.  I thought I saw a propane mixer on e-Bay the other day.

With about $300 in new parts you can make a while kit yourself, dont need the Gotpropane setups for $600-900.

Cheaper if you can find the converter and mixer used.

Just need a forklift bottle, mount, high pressure line, cut-out solenoid, converter, vapor line, mixer, and throttle plate adaptor.

Then you can ditch the carb and run high compression, hot cam, turbo, or whatever you want.  

With about $300 in new parts you can make a while kit yourself, dont need the Gotpropane setups for $600-900.

Cheaper if you can find the converter and mixer used.

Just need a forklift bottle, mount, high pressure line, cut-out solenoid, converter, vapor line, mixer, and throttle plate adaptor.

Then you can ditch the carb and run high compression, hot cam, turbo, or whatever you want.  

I may not be as correct as I could be on this, but I thought Texas required a propane conversion to be a "registered" kit and/or installed by a "licensed" installer.  I thought that was what I read back when I was considering a propane turbo for a 1200... nine or ten years ago.  Yeah, because someone said, "Some forklifts use A-series Datsun engines on propane.  Just get that." but then when I looked into it... it wasn't... legal... for some reason?  Hmm, that's starting to sound iffy even to me.  I don't know now.  If only there were some sort of, oh I don't know, electronic repository of information, where people could look stuff like that up.  Where's Al Gore when you need him to invent something like that?

I may not be as correct as I could be on this, but I thought Texas required a propane conversion to be a "registered" kit and/or installed by a "licensed" installer... when I looked into it... it wasn't... legal... for some reason?  

If the conversion isn't certified by a licensed installer, no one will fill it (legally). 

It's like if they said "your gasoline-powered car won't pas inspection so you're no longer allowed to put gas in it". 

If filling them wasn't so heavily regulated here...   :hmm:

Now if you made it run off 2-3 forklift cans, then you could get it refilled...   :rofl:

41lZHVaQO6L.jpg

• Like 2