INSMNCS: John Cain

Totally relevant. The picture intent is to look fast but instead, possibly unknown to the maker and some who would view it, it's a fail.

The large sprocket has about 192 teeth on it. Lets round down to 190.

By my experience the small sprocket looks like about a 12 or 14 tooth (or the smallest on a 10 or 12 speed but lets make it 15 .

This means that one large turn turns the small one 15.66666 times.

The bike appears to have a 29 inch rim and with a tire on would be about 31" diameter but lets say 29" or 2.416 feet and a circumference of 7.588 feet.

The most efficient speed for the average human in 80-120 revolutions per minute on a bike. This produces the most power over time. You can pedal faster but you start using muscle energy to slow your legs and reverse them using different muscles. Lets say you are way out of shape and could manage 30 RPM

If you could manage 30 RPM the bike would travel 3,550 feet. In one minute. That's over 161 MPH

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't do it,,  so it must not be possible .

Frenchman Alf Letourner's bike and land speed record.

bike.jpg

192853525_2ef66c6c68.jpg

I believe the forks are reversed like that for high speed ( oh i know it's not as fast as you fat asses and old man can ride) buuuut i don't think anyone would have ever thought a 100 meter runner could start jogging about 15 yards out from finish line in the Olympics  and still win by 10 feet or more,,,, but it happened and consistently ......

• Like 4

The current method drafting behind a vehicle is 152 mph, but this is a bullshit record as he is in the draft of a pace car ahead of him. Speed records are not made this way.

The real record is 89.5 mph using only muscle power.

I can't do it,,  so it must not be possible .

Frenchman Alf Letourner's bike and land speed record.

bike.jpg

192853525_2ef66c6c68.jpg

I believe the forks are reversed like that for high speed ( oh i know it's not as fast as you fat asses and old man can ride) buuuut i don't think anyone would have ever thought a 100 meter runner could start jogging about 15 yards out from finish line in the Olympics  and still win by 10 feet or more,,,, but it happened and consistently ......

Thank you, sir.

• Like 1

Totally relevant. The picture intent is to look fast but instead, possibly unknown to the maker and some who would view it, it's a fail.

The large sprocket has about 192 teeth on it. Lets round down to 190.

By my experience the small sprocket looks like about a 12 or 14 tooth (or the smallest on a 10 or 12 speed but lets make it 15 .

This means that one large turn turns the small one 15.66666 times.

The bike appears to have a 29 inch rim and with a tire on would be about 31" diameter but lets say 29" or 2.416 feet and a circumference of 7.588 feet.

The most efficient speed for the average human in 80-120 revolutions per minute on a bike. This produces the most power over time. You can pedal faster but you start using muscle energy to slow your legs and reverse them using different muscles. Lets say you are way out of shape and could manage 30 RPM

If you could manage 30 RPM the bike would travel 3,550 feet. In one minute. That's over 161 MPH

Change your wheel size to 700c and do the math. I think you are way off.

By the time you're not forcing enough motion through the front gear to accelerate it's all easy from then.

If a regular bike can achieve 50-65 using a 48/15 that above should destroy anything else.

How often are you riding your bike fast enough that you can pedal faster than your gearing? Too often, eh?

With that huge sprocket, you never will run out of gear.

Better money would be betting that you just twisted all the spokes out of the rear hub before you maxxed out your speed.

• Like 1

Change your wheel size to 700c and do the math. I think you are way off.

By the time you're not forcing enough motion through the front gear to accelerate it's all easy from then.

If a regular bike can achieve 50-65 using a 48/15 that above should destroy anything else.

How often are you riding your bike fast enough that you can pedal faster than your gearing? Too often, eh?

With that huge sprocket, you never will run out of gear.

Better money would be betting that you just twisted all the spokes out of the rear hub before you maxxed out your speed.

Wind resistance limits your speed. You can't fix that with gearing. That's like saying that if you put a 1.1 rear end in a 521 you could go 320 MPH.

• Like 1