INSMNCS: John Cain

So today was a good day.  I finally hit 6000 rpm in 5th gear.  On my private test track, because you know the highway would be highly illegal.  6000 rpm in 5th gear, gentlemen, equates to 132 mph.  In Ugly Betty.   ;)  That was with the NACA duct still covered over, lights on and fan at half speed.  I figure if I have the NACA duct uncovered and switching to the larger throttle body, I can probably get Ugly Betty to 140 mph, if not 145.   :D

And yes, that is by the numbers speed, not speedometer.  Found a nice gear calculation site that takes into account transmission ratios, final drive ratios, and tire size.

• Like 3
  • Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing it was closer to actual speed of 120. There is a weird aerodynamic wall at 130 that requires a lot more power to go faster, like 10hp for 5mph. I hit 120 in my KA 510 and it was really struggling. I've done 140 in a '29 model a, but that had over 500hp and weighed 1700lbs, and only 4k in too gear. Been riding shotgun in a 911 turbo at 165 and it didn't seem to be trying all that hard.

Yeah, the aerodynamics of the 510 are actually much worse than the Maxima.  The windshield rake is farther back for one.  Plus Ugly Betty is lowered quite far.  And which KA?  E or DE?  And was there any work done to it?  I'm figuring the Maxima 2.4 is probably around 150 hp now given the cam and other tweaks.  Car weighs 2500 at current, can get a bit lighter with a few other parts removals.

• Like 1

You know, she's just the play toy now, but I may eventually dyno her.  I'm more interested in going faster with the turbo motor in the new Z race car.  :)  But it still would be nice to know.

So today was a good day.  I finally hit 6000 rpm in 5th gear.  On my private test track, because you know the highway would be highly illegal.  6000 rpm in 5th gear, gentlemen, equates to 132 mph.  In Ugly Betty.   ;)  That was with the NACA duct still covered over, lights on and fan at half speed.  I figure if I have the NACA duct uncovered and switching to the larger throttle body, I can probably get Ugly Betty to 140 mph, if not 145.   :D

And yes, that is by the numbers speed, not speedometer.  Found a nice gear calculation site that takes into account transmission ratios, final drive ratios, and tire size.

Get a GPS app or navigation unit that shows speed, its prolly the most accurate you can get

Yeah, the aerodynamics of the 510 are actually much worse than the Maxima. The windshield rake is farther back for one. Plus Ugly Betty is lowered quite far. And which KA? E or DE? And was there any work done to it? I'm figuring the Maxima 2.4 is probably around 150 hp now given the cam and other tweaks. Car weighs 2500 at current, can get a bit lighter with a few other parts removals.

DE, full length header most emissions equipment removed, I think it has some kind of chip because the limmiter is at 7250, 3.90 rear gear. I know the maxima has better aerodynamics but not that much better, its still a brick. I haven't done a run for speed since I put the splitter on, I know it made it cut the wind a lot better, at 70mph it runs about 200rpm less than it used to, I'm just worried about tearing the fiberglass off at high speed.

DE, full length header most emissions equipment removed, I think it has some kind of chip because the limmiter is at 7250, 3.90 rear gear. I know the maxima has better aerodynamics but not that much better, its still a brick. I haven't done a run for speed since I put the splitter on, I know it made it cut the wind a lot better, at 70mph it runs about 200rpm less than it used to, I'm just worried about tearing the fiberglass off at high speed.

fiberglass? i'd be worried your fender would fly off

or is that what you're talking about?

It doesn't have any support but its pretty stiff, and a big dent from a rock on my way to camby last year. My plan was to tie it into the under side of the apron and maybe all the way to the front crossmember, mayby even from the upper part of the balance to the top of the splitter.

Les weight at least another. 5 mph

Weight would impact climbing a hill where the engine has to lift more weight but otherwise the friction on the bearings would remain constant.

For high speed there is rolling resistance.... tires soft (high) or firm (low) and some bearing friction but these stay about the same. Much, much more is the air resistance. The less aerodynamic, the more the air is disturbed and caught and dragged along with you. You are trading your vehicle power for moving air out of the way. If your car is very aerodynamic it moves very little air out of the way and then allows it to seamlessly move back to where it was. Compare this to a tractor trailer that passes you on the side of the road. Imagine all that buffeting and blasts of air as being paid for by engine power and it is. The air didn't magically move. Disturbing the air eats power in VAST amounts. If you have 50 hp and your top speed is 80 MPH, it will take 200 hp to double your speed to 160MPH. Four times the power to only double your speed. This means that going from 130 to 140 will take a huge increase in power and why land speed records are so hard to break. You can reduce drag or increase power. In some classes you are stuck with limitations on vehicle modification (drag) so you need to find more HP.

This guy's a little goofy from his previous videos, but at least he's not being a giant pussy with "Snowmaggedon." :D

Ive done car skiing before. Used my Ford Thunderturd, and some goodwill skis. Cops didnt care.

Gt wars were the best. 2-3 gts all tied with same length rope and we would demo derby until only one rider remained. One neighborhood here has ditches instead of sidewalks, going wide on corners and into the ditches and ramping the approach for drivways was great until Brad hit a culvert.