• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It won't turn rich. It just gives more gas to correct the lean. 

It will always give more gas, because it is running lean. 

If too much gas is given, gas is backed off to create stoic. Always stoic. 

The MAF measures air intake. The ECM feeds fuel given the amount of metered air taken in. 

When that mixture reaches the S1/upstream 02 sensor, the ECM calculates that there is more air then fuel. Lean code is then set in ECM. 

ECM corrects air/fuel mixture to keep engine safe. 

2 cylinders fire at the same time. Through the combustion cycle, the ECM can tell which 2 cylinders are misfiring. Thus, correcting the AF ratio to those 2 cylinders. 

In short-term, you may be able to see a rich condition, long-term you won't. It has been corrected. Still a lean condition. 

P0171. The diagnostic technician's best friend. Gravy. 

• Like 1

just pulled it today will tear down in the am..

i'm banking on the lower rings of sorts, possibly all the rings? my new theory is  cyls. got washed from running way to rich all the time. rings never set fully but when doing a compression test, cyls. were filled with oil that had passed rings but because it wasn't being burnt kept 180-190 across?

just pulled it today will tear down in the am..

i'm banking on the lower rings of sorts, possibly all the rings? my new theory is  cyls. got washed from running way to rich all the time. rings never set fully but when doing a compression test, cyls. were filled with oil that had passed rings but because it wasn't being burnt kept 180-190 across?

That's an expensive lesson to learn. Shitty. 

I haven't watched the news in about 4 months, so I'm ignoring most of the political bullshit, but damn it's getting harder and harder.  Got any room in Canada Mike? ;)

• Like 1

Yup, spare bedroom. Full of parts.

So should I get bearings or not

Probably not enough mileage to worry about. Although you did have too much oil consumption? Check the clearances. Crank and rod are about the same. Too much clearance will bleed more oil out, throwing it at the rings.

L20B rods....... 0.001" to 0.0022"

L20B crank mains.... 0.0008" to 0.0024"

• Like 1