• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

That is soooo unfair. 

Walter Wright has never said you shouldn't be allowed to own guns. (Well, I may have said that criminals and mental defect people shouldn't own guns or allowed to go and buy them) 

In fact I was asked by a fellow office worker to be his sponsor for an FAC years ago so he could register his guns. Known him 20 years and sensible level headed as they come. Had to answer pages of background questions and sign it. The guy I work directly with daily has some rifles maybe a hand gun or two maybe or would like one. We plan to take them/one with us next time we work out of town. Got some old propane cylinders to blow up.

The problem with this...

...Is that as soon as you try to restrict criminals and mental patients from getting a gun everyone goes ape shit. When there's a shooting they say shit like " See!!! See??? This is why we should all be armed!!!!!. This would never have happened."  That's like saying that to prevent being run over by a drunk you should own and be in a car too. Maybe only drunks should be walking.

Touchy debate.  Hate to restart it, but these statements are incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_of_a_firearm_by_a_felon

Possession of a firearm by a felon is a felony in most U.S. states and in the federal system.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20130124/mental-health-and-firearms

Since 1968, federal law has barred the possession or acquisition of firearms by anyone who “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

Maybe it's different in Canada.

• Like 2

All you have to do to acquire a firearm if you have been committed or determined mentally defective is lie on the paper work, its far to easy. Check the little box that says no and they will hand you a rifle or shotgun. But that of course only covers brand spanky new firearms, not the ones purchased thru private sales. So you're thinking them let's make all gun sales go thru the paper works, retail and private! Well then all you still have to do is lie in the paper work. My this is a vicious circle we are making in the toilet bowl we call society....

All you have to do to acquire a firearm if you have been committed or determined mentally defective is lie on the paper work, its far to easy. Check the little box that says no and they will hand you a rifle or shotgun. But that of course only covers brand spanky new firearms, not the ones purchased thru private sales. So you're thinking them let's make all gun sales go thru the paper works, retail and private! Well then all you still have to do is lie in the paper work. My this is a vicious circle we are making in the toilet bowl we call society....

You could also steal them.  It's still illegal.  As for private sales,  do you want me running a background check on you?  Are you gonna give me your social security number so you can buy my granpa's snubnose 38 special for $100?  Sure we just met through a Craigslist ad.  What could be the harm in letting a random stranger have all of your personal data?

• Like 2

In any conflict of ideology, Newton's basic law of Equal and Opposite Reaction applies:

When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Not much relevance to your point but Newtons law is implied, and new science - engineering has put this THEORY up for mathematical debate.

EmDrive technology has broken newtons law and new peer review is coming up with the same results.  Nasa even recently admitted that this technology put conservation of momentum as less than irreproachable. Theory is never exact but gives the number cruncher types things pontificate.

But back to the debate:

Ug.... guns baaaad!!! 

• Like 1

Craigslist is a huge playground for scammers :(

This is true. Saturday I found a posting for a 6k dollar snap on tool box for only $1000 located in sacramento so i reply then they say the box is in the midwest and want my info so they can send me the box and try it out bofore I pay for it....I didnt qana be responsible for having my place cleaned out while everyone is at work

• Like 1

You could also steal them. It's still illegal. As for private sales, do you want me running a background check on you? Are you gonna give me your social security number so you can buy my granpa's snubnose 38 special for $100? Sure we just met through a Craigslist ad. What could be the harm in letting a random stranger have all of your personal data?

You are correct, I was only giving the "legal" example. We are on the same side of this issue Texas don't get your panties all in a bunch.

• Like 1

You are correct, I was only giving the "legal" example. We are on the same side of this issue Texas don't get your panties all in a bunch.

My side is, "what the hell is wrong with people?"  There's something seriously twisted in the brain of a person who WANTS to end the life of another person.  Police and soldiers who've had to kill tend to suffer for it. 

I have multiple guns.  I use them for hunting, or just shooting.  I hope I never have to point one at a human being.  If my home was invaded tomorrow night, I would grab my rifle and my family and head for the woods hoping the burglars didn't hear.  I don't want to protect my home.  It's insured. 

Something we're doing as a society is allowing people to get into adulthood without understanding that the people around them are the same as them.  I don't necessarily think it's violent video games. But I do kinda look at games/texting/screens everywhere.  I tend to blame too much time secluded from other people during the important developmental stages.  

Coming to take away my possessions rather than facing the fucked up kids that we're putting out is not the answer to any problem that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

Not much relevance to your point but Newtons law is implied, and new science - engineering has put this THEORY up for mathematical debate.

EmDrive technology has broken newtons law and new peer review is coming up with the same results.  Nasa even recently admitted that this technology put conservation of momentum as less than irreproachable. Theory is never exact but gives the number cruncher types things pontificate.

But back to the debate:

Ug.... guns baaaad!!! 

Sure, when taken literally in the context of social conflict, Newton's "basic" law of physics may not be relevant, but you totally missed the metaphor as being perfectly relevant in the 2nd amendment debate. 

Newton's law of Equal and Opposite Reaction has made it posable to land men on the moon, and explore the surface of Mars. Physicists are still pontificating about Einstein's theory of relativity, but with it they've still able to split the atom, so what's your point? Is my metaphor invalid because some egg head found a minute anomaly in newton's law? 

Dude..

Sure, when taken literally in the context of social conflict, Newton's "basic" law of physics may not be relevant, but you totally missed the metaphor as being perfectly relevant in the 2nd amendment debate. 

Newton's law of Equal and Opposite Reaction has made it posable to land men on the moon, and explore the surface of Mars. Physicists are still pontificating about Einstein's theory of relativity, but with it they've still able to split the atom, so what's your point? Is my metaphor invalid because some egg head found a minute anomaly in newton's law? 

Deleted because of context: :)

You obviously must be reading more than what was said.

• Like 1

See maybe those guys aren't "crazy" ,,,, maybe they are just ahead of the curve,,,,,,,,  since as you say it's the fucked up kids  we need to eliminate...  

Context and understanding context is everything.

In my context,  everyone is a product of their childhood.  Gun control should be a much lower priority than not making murderous people in the first place.

If violence is up and it's not just more popularly reported than back in the day, then the problem starts at home and not the gun show.