Sign in to follow this  
j_boy_619

Speedometer ratio?

Whats the gear ratio for the speedometer on a 1975 B210 with a 5speed?

I have only done swaps on old jap motorcycles so Im used to 60MPH=2240RPM. But I'm assuming cars are different. ELI5

having some troubles finding a speedometer matching that ratio. Do other dats use 60:1024? Any other car makes?

1975 didn't have an available 5 speed, therefor it was a swap. First you have to determine which tranny your "B" originally had in it. This will help you to determin the differential gear ratio.

Seeing that it was a swap, you will need to determin which 5 spd was used.

An easy way, if you have a smart phone, is to download a GPS-MPH app. When you reach 60mph, check your tachometer for the rpm's. Obviously this entails having a tachometer installed in your "B" also.

Whats the gear ratio for the speedometer on a 1975 B210 with a 5speed?

I have only done swaps on old jap motorcycles so Im used to 60MPH=2240RPM. But I'm assuming cars are different. ELI5

Internally, the '75 4 speed and the later '76 and up 5 speed both used a 17 tooth speedometer drive pinion in the tailstock. Unless you have changed the rear gearing or have taller tires the speedometer will read the same.

By all means pull the speedo cogs out of the transmissions and compare them for number of teeth. I'll check butIIRC  Black plastic is the color code for 17 tooth.

so i need a speedometer that uses 17 teeth?

so i need a speedometer that uses 17 teeth?

No, you need a 17-tooth speedo pinion.   ;)

The little plastic gear on your speedo pinion (bolts to the side of the trans and speedo cable connects to it) comes in many different sizes. 

speedo_pinions.jpg