Shock input needed for 510 with D50s, please.

guyster

The D50s are on order, now for the shocks. I've been reviewing the forums and the Dime Quarterly, but am not finding much discussion about the type of '69 Camaro shock to select. I'm looking to cruise mainly, but would like to be spirited on the twisty roads. I like the idea of adjustability, but don't know how to source for that. Or, maybe I just buy the $23 Monroe and be done with it. 

Monroe regular: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-5818st/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

Monroe air shock: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-ma711/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

KYB Excel G (but I don't think I want gas): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-343127/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

Thanks for your ideas and input. G

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ That gets me part way there... I am curious about the variations of shocks that are out there and if adjustability (air shocks, dampening, etc.) holds any interest or provides functionality worth investigating.

It's subjective. What works for one person is too stiff / too soft for another. There is no real answer to this.

Cheaper shocks probably wear out sooner.

A shock for a heavier vehicle will 'likely' be firmer.

• Like 1

86 Chevrolet Camaro:

Compressed length-11.625"

Extended length-18.75"

Shock travel-7.125"

68 Chevrolet Camaro:

Compressed length-11.75"

Extended length-19.375"

Shock travel-7.625"

Has anybody used the shocks that Koni or Bilstien make for the above? I see Koni makes a vintage 'red' and also a modern 'sport' shock that is externally adjustabel, yellow in color. An 8241 1140 SPORT for GM products, or an 8041 1026 SPORT for the Mustang GT, pg29 in the Koni Motorsport catalog.

If you don't have this thing together by the time we are both at a other meet I'll take you for a spin in my 510, that will give you a feel for a stiff set up and you can go stiffer or softer from that. (I am running coilovers all the way around but stiff is stiff)

• Like 1

If you don't have this thing together by the time we are both at a other meet I'll take you for a spin in my 510, that will give you a feel for a stiff set up and you can go stiffer or softer from that. (I am running coilovers all the way around but stiff is stiff)

Sounds good. I bought an inexpensive set of Monroes for the '68 Camaro. That should get me up and going without blowing the budget; I can always change them out down the road. I really just needed to understand how to select the damn things, but now I feel like I got it.