POS/NEG ground and COIL wiring

deerio

Thanks much!! Been trying REAL hard to get this wiring into by brain. Don't give up on me everyone I'm close and appreciate every one's patience and help. I'm doing be best (got my 320 manuals out and trying to do as much as I can to understand what it is I'm actually doing by switching from Gen. to Alt.) Trust me, I read most of the rants and very much agree with you guys when it comes to exhausting your resources to learn BEFORE just getting on a forum and asking (HOW) right off the get go. With that said, 😉, difrangia, do I understand correctly that the yellow "hot with switch on " is 12v power coming "IN" to the alternator from the switch on power side of the fuse block? I believe I understand the rest of what I'm trying to do...maybe.....I'll send pics of the smoke and dismay if I don't, promise 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Beer Snob said:

With that said, 😉, difrangia, do I understand correctly that the yellow "hot with switch on " is 12v power coming "IN" to the alternator from the switch on power side of the fuse block? 

Yes, the keyed power to the alternator supplies 12V to the field windings to generate electricity. The +terminal to the battery terminal transfers the generated power back to the battery. 

Thanks brother!!! After reading your post that got me thinking that way. I'm embarrassed to say that I always thought of an alternator as something that just produced electricity. (I guess as product of wizardry 😲) I'm going to try to admit any ignorance and failures here in hopes that others that are maybe new or ignorant to what seems like common knowledge to a lot of people don't feel stupid or get down on themselves. Remember everyone, ignorance is different than stupidity, so never be ashamed you simply don't know. Thanks again for all the help from all of you guys. It truly is appreciated! 🍻

• Like 1