ITB's on an L20

Thinking about it, I dont see it being that hard to rig up something to run EDIS on a dual plug head. If you think about it, the EDIS8 coil setup is basically two EDIS4 coils. I bet it would be possible to wire up two edis 4 coils to the EDIS4 module to run all 8 plugs.

If that didn't work, I would imagine you could probably run 2 EDIS4 Modules off of one toothed wheel, and sensor, and have an individual module for each coil and fire the 8 plugs.

I think it would be easy to come up with somehing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought about it and now I don't think so. EDIS works on the 'wasted spark' method. One coil fires two plugs, one is the power stroke and the other is a cylinder on the exhaust stroke. If I were to use one coil to fire both plugs in the same cylinder it probably couldn't do it. It would be like firing a plug gap of .070 to .080 thou. The reason it works with the wasted spark is that it's much easier to fire a none compression cylinder. Oh well. I have an 8 plug crank angle sensor distributor for my Z24:D I'll go with that when I go to EFI.

Mike,

I dont entirely think it wouldnt work. From what ive learned there is no provision in the coilpacks for the wasted spark to be a weaker spark as such. Each coilpack has 3 wires to it. 1 positive and a negative from the EDIS module to controll each side of the coil. The wasted spark is just that because there is no combustable mixture in the cylinder. If that is the case though you could still run two coil packs with a EDIS 4 module and use the negative trigger wire split to the two coils and run the weaker spark from the second coil to spark the other plug in the two plug head. The only thing to worry about would be the resistance of running the two coils versus one. You may run into issues here but who knows?

So four coils I guess. Two for the two plugs on #1 and #4 cylinder and two for #3 and #2 cylinder. Could mount them on the valve cover.

No it would just need two packs. One pack would fire the 1 primary and 4 secondary and another pack would fire the 4primary and 1 secondary at the same time. That way theoretically your only firing a primary discharge from one coil at a time but still firing both plugs in a given cylinder on its compression stroke with a primary discharge. The same would hold true with 2-3 firings. I will have to look when I get home but I think the EDIS system can fire both plugs from the same coil without issue.

Edited by Fineline

nothing major happening just waiting for the ITB's to come in and i had a little free time today and started doing some body work on the front, i got one of the fenders the front valance and the cowl stripped and ready for primer (the stuff in the rattle can works 10X better)

pic102008_1.jpg

pic102008_2.jpg

pic102008_3.jpg

here's a few pics of the truck and engine that are in it now

pic101508_1.jpg

pic092908_10-1.jpg

pic093008_1.jpg

I'm going to follow this thread with great interest :) I'm hoping to MS/EDIS/EFI-ify my L motor in the next year or so. My biggest problem with my little welding experience is fabbing a throttle body. How are you going to adapt the gsxr throttle bodies to the L block? I saw you cut the flanges... are you just going to weld up some tubing from the flanges to the TB? Simpler is better, and also repeatable (so you can sell adapters to everyone else :D).

I'm going to follow this thread with great interest :) I'm hoping to MS/EDIS/EFI-ify my L motor in the next year or so. My biggest problem with my little welding experience is fabbing a throttle body. How are you going to adapt the gsxr throttle bodies to the L block? I saw you cut the flanges... are you just going to weld up some tubing from the flanges to the TB? Simpler is better :D).

that's exactly what im going to do lol just weld on about 2 or 3 inches of aluminum tubing and mout the gsxr's with some rubber hose for now, just till i get everything working well and then i will make a better intake and get ride of the cash intake manifold pieces becasue they tend to crack when you weld to them

well my throttle bodies came in Friday :lol: but i wont have any real time to work on the truck till next Monday so hopefully next Monday i can get the manifold made and the fuel rail started, does anyone got any suggestions on the fuel system?....pump,filter,injector size,fuel pressure regulator?