Olde Skool 610

docbainey

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the sun was shining bright and it was warm this weekend, no time better then to work on the 610. Still had to drill out the broken bolt for the distributor on the front cover. Then it was just time for assembly. Way to much crap in the way, but I put it all back on, not time to simplify yet!

Out with the old. The magic marker line on the new housing by the temp sensor boss had to be trimmed for my temp gauge to thread in, always something.

DSCF0002_2.jpg

All done! Like three hours later!

Still have to change out the thermostat, I had 2 of them, checked them in near boiling water with a digital thermometer one opened a lot earlier then the other @ about 180deg F so I used that one, Bad choice for the street, would be good for a track car though. After driving around for like a half hour the car never got over ~170F way to cold. At least the stuff will come apart now. That's where this whole mess started, trying to take the thermostat housing apart!!!!!

DSCF0004_2.jpg

DSCF0005_2.jpg

I never realized how much of a pane in the az the metal fuelines and the water bypass line create while trying to wrench in that area.  Of course the weather turned shtty so the cars back in the garage. Got some minor electrical things to tend to now, no hazard flashers, no left turn signal when the lights are on and some dash bulbs need replaced, among a list that just gets longer and longer of 'things to do'

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I tear into subi diffs. Hopefully Ill be able to use the info in my service manual to set up the diff. All the parts are typically engraved with +/- numbers that plugged into some simple formulas gives the amount of shims you should have or not have on the side bearings for the proper bearing pre load and teeth engagement. Ill just end up taking the lsd ring carrier out of the 3.7 and adjust the shims accordingly and then stick it into the 4.11.  If would only be that simple!!!!  We'll see!

Ill just end up taking the lsd ring carrier out of the 3.7 and adjust the shims accordingly and then stick it into the 4.11.  If would only be that simple!!!!  We'll see!

It really is that easy, or should be, I did a write up on it on the old NWDE site.  The Torx bits you can find at any good hardware store, I'd suggest lubing the bolts in advance as I twisted the head off of one of mine.

Everything else is pretty straight forward, use the same shims in the same order and check your lash with a paint pen when you are done. I had to use die grinder on the interior of the case as I couldn't get the larger LSD unit to pivot in.

• Like 1

I was waiting for the fram thing! That filter was probably from the late 70s, leftover roadster racing stuff, we ran a dual filter set up. Last time I changed the oil, I actually had paper cans of oil! Kendall GT1 20-50, it was green in color! Bob Sharp racing used Kendall, so monkey see monkey do. The hoses where taped when I tracked the car in the 80s. Read it in a book before there was an internet. I think it was called 'prepare to win' by Carrol Smith? Amazing the things you could read and learn in books! That guy at the time prepped cars in can-am, f1 & indy car in 'the day'. Learned about AN bolts & Aeroquip among other good stuff in that book.

Changing out the lsd carrier shouldn't be to bad, just tedious. Put together two rear ends for our DP roadster so its basic stuff, and yes definitely check the gears wear pattern!

• 2 years later...

Holy crap! Its been over 2 years since Ive added anything here!  And its pretty much been over 2 years since this car has been on the road, and it still isn't. Tomorrow, we shall see. New shoes, out with old and in with the new.

Of course just cant post a picture in here without knowing the secret hand shake. Some things never change.

https://imgur.com/xwa8SEh

Edited by docbainey
  • Like 1

Success!

Put on about 40 miles yesterday. Probably more miles then its seen in the last 5 years. It was hot (90's) water never got above 205. That was after a lot of spirited driving (3500 to 5500) and a couple good pulls to 6000~6500. Thinking of painting the center of the wheels satin black? Got to find some center caps as well. The tires (205/50-15) are just a tick taller then the 205/60-13s.

2jBBue9.jpg

• Like 2