Let's try this again; flatcat's 521

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't Daniel say something about the ground on the dash cluster? If not well grounded the gauge regulator is kind of floating and gauges read higher when the charge rate is higher, like when revved up? lower when idling

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, the Canby truck had the same issue. Would show hot, but you could pop the cap and grab the hoses with your hand and everything was just fine. We did 700+ miles and over several mountain passes. If it's not puking coolant out everywhere.. It's something wack with the gauge.. gotta be.

still does swapped gauge cluster all better... my four door has the same issue, temp and gas are whonkey,  just gotta swap cluster .. 

• Like 2

still does swapped gauge cluster all better... my four door has the same issue, temp and gas are whonkey,  just gotta swap cluster ..

Yeah. Mine is still wonky. Ratsun business card over the temp gauge keeps my mind off of it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of things to go over.

Leaving this thread here for future reference. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41740-l18-with-dogleg-5-speed-question/

Going ahead with my swap soon. This is the closest bit of info regarding my concern.

Swapping from L16/4speed to L18/63A.

My issue, which clutch release bearing to use.

Can I find one that is bearing and collar that will work?

I'm at work so I haven't had tons of time to dive in. Really just wanted to paste the link before I lost it.

From all the reading I have been doing I'm still without a solid answer. Jacob's in that thread is the closest I have found.

2nd...we've been talking about my overheating at length before.

New pump. New thermostat w/hole. Freshly cleaned radiator. New upper hose. Blah, blah, blah.

Found when gauge was I'm overheating real temp at thermostat housing is in the 175-190° range. Never actually overheating.

With it not actually overheating I have just been driving the thing.

Well, I normally always drive with my headlights on. On a cruise with a friend a few weeks ago, I noticed my temp was normal. What was different? My lights were off.

Been testing this back and forth for a couple weeks. Real consistent. Lights off, normal. Lights on, no bueno.

• Like 1

Check your lighting circuit for missing or improper grounds.  Check the fuse block for correct positioning of wire.  if this all checks out then it is time to find out why the lighten circuit is pulling power through your gauge circuit.  Test cluster voltage regulator when running it should be around 8.6 volts.  Turn on headlights and retest.

It is not the voltage regulator they work or they don't work there is no in between.

I would run a temporary new wire fore the temp gauge and see if this stops the problem.  You will have to disconnect the original temp wire I believe it is yellow at the sender and the gauge.

It sounds like your lighting circuit is shorted with the temp sensor wire. 

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Lockleaf I know this is just a visual example for showing what you are talking about. However the collars are NOT, in any corner of our 11 dimension universe, related to the transmission. The collar is intimately related / married / wedded / matched to the clutch pressure plate.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

nice to see someone taking care of the wheels i powdercoat for them ... kevin is too lazy ...im havin throw out collar nightmare too

Kevin's wheels look like shit.

I wipe my down every time I get ready to go somewhere.

The insides look like crap. But all good to spectators.

• Like 2