Jake's 320 Build

emceefarlane

Hi,

New here - ish

Jake from Adelaide, Australia.

Have a 65 and a 62 parts car.

I'm thinking about putting an MGB intake manifold and extractors on my E1 motor, everything lines up. Only difference being the stock E1 intake is 1"1/4 and the MGB intake is 1"1/2. I have removed the head from a spare E1 motor i have and the actual size of the intake port on the head is 1"3/8 so if i were to 'gasket match' or port it myself i would only have to remove 1/8 of material from the head.

Is there any reason why this wont work? (car is right hand drive so i don't have to worry about clearance of the steering column/master cyllinders etc) Will it ever run even close to a little bit right?

I'm not chasing an increase in power - more the aesthetic and sound i'm looking to improve.

Will upload pics of the manifolds for comparison and the car this evening.

E1 Head

0CUvouj_NLD4AV4nVhPIL_wJg4JAUKvtOyub7tyY

Top left is E1 manifold, bottom right is MGB intake and extractors

2s85rix.jpg

MGB gasket laid over the E1 gasket

2ia7gv7.jpg

Cheers,

Jake

Edited by emceefarlane
image fixing
  • Like 1
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2hhgfus.jpg

k9x4z5.jpg

seats and door cards are currently being re-trimmed in these colours

10fwcbo.jpg

Took the dash out to respray and clean the gauge cluster, dials/knobs etc

2drbal2.jpg

15wl6h4.jpg

Interior is being carpetted

xo3xbl.jpg

New door seal rubber from Fitch The Rubber Man http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/fitchtherubberman/Products/60-055N

biw5yu.jpg

picked up some 15x7 rims from a Landcruiser, not sure of the offset. 

2gt21yt.jpg

Before the tyres came off

35an3sx.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good.

Hopefully mine turn out just as well.

My kick panels are going to be carpetted though i think in black loop pile like the floor will be

You have the same weird grey/black soft hammertone-ish finish on your dash as well. trying to respray mine at the moment but some sections are drying 'flat' and look more gloss that the rest - sticks out a lot. My 62 has the smooth dash painted the same colour as the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the door trims back from the upholsterer 

pretty happy with them

1t3lgl.jpg

99jls2.jpg

now just waiting for the seat.

Have to stop my windshield leaking before the carpet can go in, i'm just going to try and seal it up for now as a new gasket is around $220 delivered and a bit out of my budget at the moment

My cousin had a set of SU's laying around that came off a V8 Volvo he said i could have for a few beers

Also found this mob in AUS that have a lot of useful information and replacement engine components/gasket kits. They seem to know what they're talking about too

http://www.precisionintl.com/Engine.aspx?ID=1304&EID=33320&Page=1

Thanks

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice Aussie Stude survivor. RHD even.

V8 or Six banger?

You have very good tastes in pickups.

Steve

thanks but unfortunately it's not mine, belongs to the father in law. it has a six at the moment which i think is what it came with but an 8 is going in in the next couple of weeks

• Like 1

It's funny how Studebaker shared body parts so often over the years. That bed looks just the same as the bed on our old '49 Stude.

I have a set of those same hubcaps hanging on my wall !

yeah i think it is the same bed as the 49, they used the same press from that and then the front half of the new Lark sedan to save money. the running gear is pretty dated for truck released in that era, still had leaf springs in the front etc

• Like 1

Love the Studebaker!  That engine should get it to grocery store just fine.  There is a 65 Studebaker truck for sale in Kingman AZ.  I had a 51 Studebaker champion as a first car when I was 12.  Wish I still had it.

• Like 2

Coulda, shoulda bought a nice SWB Champ like that a couple of years ago from a co-worker; & didn't. One of those kickin' my butt ever since, situations.

53 coupes are 'Top Shelf', timeless Raymond Lowey styling masterpieces.

1953%20Steude%20Left%20Rear_zpsqiriyht6.

1953%20Steude%20Front%20Right_zpslz4esyi

1953%20Steude%20Right%20Rear_zpsimfannzi

Take a look at EVERYBODY else's 1953 offerings.

Picture is worth a thousand words.

Steve

• Like 4