74 620 V8 Swap

*fart*

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Hey guys!  Been a minute since I posted about the swap!  Ive been swamped with customers work all summer and am finally catching up so i can start working on this here and there.

Got a bunch done...

-Had to cut the header collector and downpipe, adding a pie cut to get the pipes to clear the radiator. 

-Radiator is mounted and plumbed to the electric water pump.  

-Got the tranny cooler lines hooked up. 

-Gas pedal linkage is installed and adjusted.

-Front brake lines are hooked up

-Have all of the engine wiring finished.  Still need to start getting gauges and fitting them into the stock dash... 

-Fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator installed wired and plumbed... 

-Electric rad fan installed

Basically all in need to be able to take the thing around the block is a bearing for my steering column that broke when removing... Need to install the rear brake lines and bleed..  Pick up the custom driveshaft... 

Be doing burnouts in no time!

datsun02.jpg

datsun03.jpg

datsun04.jpg

datsun07.jpg

datsun09.jpg

datsun10.jpg

datsun06.jpg

datsun05.jpg

• Like 3

I dig it.  Nice work on the interior!!!

Most guys just make a "sock" that covers front of the scoop.  Vinyl and a little elastic.  

I do custom upholstery for my day job.  So i think im going to make some snaps around the hood opening and stretch some leather over the scoop that snaps to the hood.  

But i can wait to finish the interior!  That prob wont happen until this winter tho... Just want to get this thing on the road and start shaking it down!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a little video of the first start of the motor in the 620.

Instantly found a few things wrong.  Have a few small exhaust leaks at the header, too high fuel pressure and a leaky vacuum line.  

Thats why the motor sounds like it has a nasty cam in it... lol... Plus the exhaust is basically 2 foot long with 12" glass packs... lol

• Like 3

Yeah I have a reg and press gauge installed but had the pressure too high for a carburetor... 

Exhaust will happen once i get the driveshaft installed and iron out a few more problems... Have to do some more welding on the headers ... looks like its leaking right at the collector... 

Still have to get the steering column in too... just got the bearings in yesterday!

• Like 1

Yalp.... Have to pull the header and see if i can get the tig torch in there. worst case is ill have to cut the collector pipe off, weld up where the tubes meet and weld the collector tube back on..

...use 2 bolts to secure header to collector. Back in the days when I had a 75 Celica, headers would get lose.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks good and will get attention.

I did a SBC 383 stroker NA motor with 4500 carb and must use fuel regulator with the Holley Red pump.

Gear drive kinda gave it away driving around, because I kept it stock looking without cutting a hole in hood with a recessed mount 14" proflow air cleaner, sat pretty much low on the carb and had the elements on the sides and top.

Hoosier dot slicks on the back, use any Chevy S10 rear end as they fit and will have unlimited supply of them at the junk yard.

The only mini truck that had a SBC V8 kit was the Chevy LUV back in the day.

• Like 1