74 620 V8 Swap

*fart*

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet.  I will have to give them a call in the next few days...   I think i will pick up what i need to get the engine and tranny mounted... 

In the mean time ill have to start pulling apart the datsun... updates soon... 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

The powerbyace stuff is nice, directions are clear also. I got the v6 stuff Im working on installing right now. I talked to the guy since his shop is like 1 1/2 from me. really knowledgeable and has been doing this stuff for a loooooonnnng time lol. 

• Like 1

Since you have a tubing bender, buy the dies and make your own headers.  Flanges are readily available.  Then get them ceramic coated to keep the heat out of the engine bay.  In fact, ceramic coat them even if you buy ready-made headers.  Then run heavy wall pipe at least past the cab to prevent it from shedding major heat where you'll feel it.  

You can also ditch the coil-in-cap distributor and remote mount the coil to save firewall space.  The smaller distributor with a remote coil used in the mid to late 80's will work if you get the one that still uses a vacuum advance and isn't computer controlled (7-11 wires in the harness for it).  

• Like 2

Ive thought about making my own headers... I have a local guy that laser cuts steel, so i could get the manifold flanges pretty easily.  I already have a 1.5" die but i dont know if the CL radius is tight enough to fit.  I guess i could always pie cut them a little.  It would be nice if i could bend up some stainless... I dont know if my manual bender could handle it though.  But I could always just buy some SS bends and cut them up to fit... 

Thats good advice about the distributor.. The one i have is coil in the distributor.  I did some measuring and its gonna be tight!  I should be able to get by though... Im actually thinking about mounting the radiator in the bed possibly.  Not sure what kind of room ill have up front.  But i could make a crude air scoop and get some hardcore fans if needed... 

Got started this weekend just removing a few hoses and lines to get the motor and tranny out.  Planning a weekend BBQ sometime soon to con my friends into giving me a hand... 

Few more photos of the damage done by the Joy Ride when the truck was stolen... 

Datsun%2Bv8%2Bchevy%2Bsbc%2B02.jpg

Datsun%2Bv8%2Bchevy%2Bsbc%2B03.jpg

Datsun%2Bv8%2Bchevy%2Bsbc%2B04.jpg

• Like 2

That'll buff out... 

Seriously, the lower pans are soft and will straighten up easily, or new on Rockauto are $20.  The hood is a 1-2 hour repair, and the passenger door bottom is 1 hour.  Superficial, considering what could have happened.  Have you ever seen the results of shopping cart bowling at Kmart?  How about bridge pinball?  You got it easy!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a member on here with a ford v8 in a 620. He bed mounted his radiator and had to work through a few issues because of that. Project is called Datstang, IIRC. Might have some cooling ideas that will help you.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's hard to tell how much room you have for the gas peddle, but it looks pretty darn good. I've heard that heat is a real issue when half the motor is in the cab with you. You might want to line the tranny tunnel and firewall with an adhesive heat shield material. I used some to protect my bake master cylinder from the down pipe on my car and it worked really well.There's a guy (Bubbamatt) here on Ratsun that has an aluminum ford v8 510 daily driver. Very well done car. He would be a great resource for overcoming some of the unexpected odds and ends associated with a swap like this. 

All the best moving forward on this build.

• Like 1

It might not be a lot of work to move all the pedals over towards the left. I had to do this on a truck I built recently and it made a lot of room available so nothing had to be funky.

As per the heat shield, I use some that I buy from Summit. It's a peel and stick fabric that's covered with reflective material. Not the best heat barrier, but it's the only thing I could find that was suitable to being used on the outside of a vehicle. For extreme heat, I usually build a heat shield out of aluminum, line both sides with the peel and stick stuff and then also use the peel and stick on the underside of the floor, just above the heat shield.

On the interior, the Dynamat is pretty good insulation, but it can't be used outside where the weather will get at it.

I hope you're good with sheet metal. That's a big hole to fill.

• Like 1