74 620 V8 Swap

*fart*

Thanks for the constructive criticisms lol!  

I think you guys misunderstood.  The truck is done.  We just run open cylinders for better exhaust flow, and switched the clutch pedal to be the gas pedal.  Lol.

Thanks for the helpful comments tho... Want to build this truck to be a reliable daily that rips. Im gonna be running a mild street cam so heat will always be an issue.  Travis at rhode alliance customs is hooking me up with a set of custom headers, and is a master with sheet metal, so the tunnel will be a breeze.  Will prob either coat the pipes or give them a good wrap.  

Once i get the truck on the road I might make some air dams to cool the wilwood big brake kit and get some air around the tranny.  Still need to figure out what kind of radiator and fan setup will cool this motor down.  

Stay tuned.. will have some serious updates soon.. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the done comment was a joke, hence the LOL. But yeah, I'm confused now.

There's a lot to think about when cutting into a firewall like that. If you push the motor too far back, there's not going to be room for a heater and in some extreme cases, fitting the stock dash is impossible.

I built a '53 GMC a couple years ago with a 24V Cummins in it and the valve cover could have been a good place to mount a cup holder, that's how far back it went.

Cummins_GMC_Small_015_zpsc7861172.jpg

Cummins_GMC_Small_019_zpsa9772729.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Got some more progress done on the truck.  Travis at Rhode Alliance Customs is almost done with the hard stuff!  Motor is all mounted, tranny is mounted.  Travis made up a custom set of front facing headers.  He is about to pull the body off for the last time and get the new floor pans and tranny tunnel welded in.  

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

• Like 3

Finally a guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. With this level of involvement, I have confidence that this truck will actually get finished.

I think a lot of members here on Ratsun get weird about people cutting into vintage Datsuns, because the majority of them will probably never run again.

• Like 1

I got a plan for the distributor.  Thinking about making a little removable plate that bolts to the under structure of the cowl.  That way Ill just have to remove the cowl beauty cover... remove plate and access distributor.  There is already space for a pocket to access plug wires and adjust distributor... and making a removable cover to remove distributor seems like a pretty good access solution.  

• 5 weeks later...

So I got the truck back from Rhode Alliance Customs!  Travis did a ton of work on this thing!  Tons more to go tho!  

I started ordering some things that ill need to get it fired up.  Got the air cleaner installed today!  Time to cut a hole in the hood!

datsun%2Bhillborn1.jpg

• Like 2

The motor wont move too much.  I cut the hood this afternoon.  I still have to open it up a little more for clearance.  Then I am going to rivet some snaps to the hood and make a little leather cover to go over part of the air cleaner.  Then when it rains and in not driving it ill snap another cover to keep some of the water out the engine... 

Now i have to cut the hood in front of the scoop and bend it down so that the scoop isnt picking up any hot air from the engine... 

Datsun%2Bhillborn%2Bhood1.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a little bit more work done on the hood... But thats probably the least of my worries at this point... 

Got a water pump and radiator the other day... Still a bunch of work to do to fit the radiator and such.... Need to adjust the angle that the collector comes of the front facing headers and weld it back up.  I also got some mufflers in the mail... 3" Diameter and 9" long LOL... They are a straight through muffler from Dynomax... Hopefully they will make it not sound like a demo derby car!  haha... 

I have the fuel system figured out, I just need to get a new fuel pump.

Datsun%2B620%2BScoop%2BWork1.jpgDatsun%2B620%2BScoop%2BWork2.jpgDatsun%2B620%2BScoop%2BWork3.jpgDatsun%2B620%2BScoop%2BWork4.jpg

• Like 3