L20 flywheel

jovial_cynic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All 6 bolt L and Z series flywheels will interchange and bolt up.

Remember, the flywheel determines what size pressure plate will bolt up to it.

The Z24 flywheel is 240mm only, I believe. The car L20Bs, Z20 and Z22 were 200mm, 620 and 720 trucks through '82 were 225, 4X4s were all 240mm.

Some flywheels were 29lb and some were 21lb. (there may be others) I have my old 225mm 21 lb on my Z24, I figure the extra weight of the crank and longer rods will compensate.

Edited by datzenmike

In other news, folks on the bluebird list are advising that the ring-gear on my flywheel is fine, and that I don't really have a need to replace it with the new one. Looks like a new starter might be the solution.

I sure did a lot of work to replace a starter. :|

Well, at least I have a spare ring-gear now. Or... if anybody is looking for one, I've got one for sale :)

Good to hear, the L20b I got was from an auto... and the only flywheel I have is the 5 bolt from an L16, so I guess I'll get whatever is available.

Any opinions on which is better and why? Seems like the 200mm clutch is better for a "performance" engine since it places the weight of the clutch more in the center. Or maybe the 225 is better "middle ground" option... but I think center force II is where I am gonna put my money. Sure its overkill, it should last longer... right?

I've read that using a torch and a metal chisel is an alternative solution. I've got a torch. I've got a chisel...

QUOTE]

I have replaced ring gears before using a torch. I actually used a large punch and evenly tapped the old one off. they come off way easier than you would think. Then you slowly warm the new ring gear up all the way around, keeping it flat to the flywheel so gravity will make it fall into place, after a bit of warming it it will fall onto the flywheel, now as it cools give at a few taps to make sure it is seated evenly. Super easy job.

I wouldnt even consider putting that old one back in the car. And you are this close to having the complete job done.

Jason

20081023_flywheel.jpg

(flywheel and new ring gear)

I spent about an hour this morning drilling some holes into the old ring gear (breaking two bits, and maybe my drill), heating the ring, and finally popping the ring off with a chisel and hammer.

It sure would be nice to have a hydraulic press.

Anyhow, I should get the new ring gear on tonight, and after throwing on the flywheel, the new starter and the new alternator, my car should be back on the road.

oh wait. I also plan to yank the front cover to deal with an annoying oil leak.