What other Calipers fit on my 510 Goon? "Stock"

Evaded

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My '74 710 has the same look and those offset wedge pads.

What about rebuilding them? I did this with a set of 4 piston Toyota calipers with good results for my 620. It's really not that hard just keep everything clean. I think it was about $20 a side and only involves a seal and a small boot to cover. I checked and the seal kit (if available) for the 510 is about $4.  It's also the same kit as the '74 710.

I used a grease gun to get mine out - put a grease fitting in one of the threaded holes and a bolt in the other and fill it with grease until it pops out. You'll have to clean up the grease, but if you don't have compressed air it's a good alternative.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I just did mine today with the rebuild kit from rockauto. Everything went pretty good. But, they sent wrong bleed srews. So, I cleaned up originals good.

Also, getting the outside rubber ring with metal ring was tough. Anyone have a good way of getting that in easy and straight?

My '74 710 has the same look and those offset wedge pads.

these exist?     i bought that four door and he gives me new brake pads and im like .... uh there wedge shaped ....and there brand new so I'm like wtf ... this is real ?    i dont know where they are but i could post pics for more wtfing

All you need is some compressed air to pop the piston out, snap ring pliers, soapy water, towels, can of brake cleaner, some steel wool. This about it.

Steel wool is death to everything except the crud in your cast iron frying pan.  Way too many opportunities for little bits of the stuff in places you don't want/need it...  Great for cleaning bumper though...

Hence the soapy water, towels and brake cleaner.

these exist?     i bought that four door and he gives me new brake pads and im like .... uh there wedge shaped ....and there brand new so I'm like wtf ... this is real ?    i dont know where they are but i could post pics for more wtfing

My '74 L18 710 wedgie pads. Only this year I think. My '76 doesn't have them.

710projectbegin009Large.jpg

them are them ..... i was like dafuq?!?!?!?!!?   but there right mmmmf/s brand new set of wedge pads lol

Wow that's awesome. I've worked car parts retail for years. Only time I've ever seen pads like that was when a caliper pin got hung up and caused it. What would be the benefit for the manufacturers?

I would have thought that they should both have been wedged in the same direction, much like bike brakes which use a toed in brake pad configuration so that when the pads hit they don't toe out and squeal.

Not really clear on how the pads would not continuously drag without extreme caliper retraction.

Seems obvious why it was only used for one year. Crazzy.

Well wasn't it mentioned that some years of 510 had them also? So not just one year.

As for disc brakes they don't drag when released, no matter what shape they are, in fact the master cylinder has a 'residual' valve that maintains  2 or 3 PSI on the caliper side to keep the pads lightly against the rotors.

Akebono calipers. Still the only brake products I use if I can get them for my cars. No dust.

The pads are wedge shaped because the calipers piston is at an angle. If the were flat, it wouldn't mate flat with the rotor. Duh.

Boy that sure cleared it up. Thanks for contributing.