nj0z1200ute - 1200 ute USA build

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steering Column bushing part# 48910-H1021, don't know if Nissan still sells these. MADDAT also sells this part.

I did see that Maddat sells them.   Why has no one 3D printed one yet or made an equivalent out of rubber?  Ever 1200 I have owned (2 now) have had perished steering bushings

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new parts in the mail. Cigarette lighter assembly reproduction part from Thailand. Also 2 x chrome plated knobs from California. I have never seen these types of knobs before. It seems like the 1200 ones are always black. I can only hope that I can also find some heater knobs to match? smil49ca0afcd69b3.gif smil49ca0afcd69b3.gif

Had a problem with the Cigarette lighter assembly. It seems like the brass screw in backing plate is waaaaaaaaaay too long. I cannot get it screwed onto the dash. Do you guys reckon I trim a section of it off to get it to fit or am I doing something wrong?

IMG_0636.jpg

Comparo

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

New knobs

IMG_0645.jpg

I just noticed your electric choke.   Where does it connect to?  I was told to connect mine to the neg (-) side of the coil?  Is that not correct?

Normally it would go to the positive side of the coil. Nothing should be connected to the negative side except the distributor. 

Normally it would go to the positive side of the coil. Nothing should be connected to the negative side except the distributor. 

Thanks for the correction  :w00t:

i ended up hooking it up to the original wire for the choke. i think it's a blue one but i can't remember off hand. stock choke was electric

I don't believe the aussie 1200 wiring loom has a stock wire for a choke unless I am wrong.   

I don't believe the aussie 1200 wiring loom has a stock wire for a choke unless I am wrong.   

Depends on age. Seems like most Datsuns had an electric choke past '71ish? 

I don't think USDM 1200s did, but if your ute (or harness) is from a newer than '73 model, I'd bet it would...

From tech wiki:

The electric choke on the 1200 (1972 and up have electric choke) has power supplied from the ignition switch circuit. However, this is switch on/off by the choke relay from a signal put out by the alternator/regulator "N" wire. This means the choke only gets power when the ignition is ON and the alternator is putting out power (engine running). Other makers use an oil pressure switch for the same purpose. For a 1971 car, you could simply hook it up directly, the downside would be if you let the car sit with IGN on for a while before starting the choke would open up, even if it is cold outside, possibly preventing the engine from starting.

Sounds like if I can't find a choke wire in my harness i can tap into the + side coil but I have to be careful not to leave the key on Acc

• 1 month later...

1. Do the internals need to be greased before use?

It couldn't hurt to take it apart and make sure the inside is clean. Chinese factories aren't super good at this. You have a 95% chance that it's okay as is. 

2. Does it matter its for LHD even though my ute is RHD?

There is no difference. Same exact part for both. 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice.

I may have the opportunity to purchase a turbo A12 engine from a speed shop in Australia and bring it over to install in my ute project.   Or the entire ute possibly too.

My question would be, how difficult is it to swap a turbo A series into a non-turbo A series body?   Is it a matter of swapping the engine & transmission and the wiring harness and bob's your uncle?

Or does it require a lot of work?  Keep in mind as you can probably tell I am just a DIY hobby mechanic, not fully trained.

I have done a A12 to A14 swap and vice versa and have been pretty successful doing that, but never have touched a turbocharged engine setup.

Pic of car:

Thanks.

2015-09-28_10.46.21.jpg