nj0z1200ute - 1200 ute USA build

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Build update.

Since the beautiful tranny mount install i haven't done too much to the uterus project.

Took me awhile to figure out how to wire the fuel tank sender since the factory harness is gone. But everyone said stuff a crimped connector in there so i did.

rEHtm9Qh.jpg

I was able to buy a battery and test my remote wiring system. Works great! I was even able to turn over the A14. Test lights and other stuff. Other than no lights for ignition,charge,brake,high beam on the cluster all seems good.

UDlMih6h.jpg

ESbAC6Ch.jpg

Had to replace a faulty starter motor. Only 2 bolts but its a pain in the ass trying to get clearance to those bolts. Especially with only a small budget tool set consistenting of hand me downs that i own.

I finished or mostly finished the headlining. I am very happy with it and thank you to the hundreds of companies I emailed for free stickers. VP race fuels your stickers are awesome! And Whiteline sent me an entire car decal set for a full on race car! I was blown away.

I have developed a sticker fetish now.

J42FOAOh.jpg

I was a good boy this year and Santa got me new seats to replace my Coupe seats which are mint 70s but just don't give enough cabin room. I was surprised how different B110 seats are from B120 seats. And good B120 seats are no where to be found in the northern hemisphere....so....

CyxH8UFh.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So my immaculate B110 seats don't fit to my liking.  They are much different than B120 seats.

Fast forward to Xmas.  Santa delivered me new eBay cheapies.

I was a little disappointed in the fact that the mounting points on the bottom of the seats were completely covered in the seat material.  I had to cut away material to access the mounting threads.  For reference the seat mounting points on these eBay cheapies are 10 1/16th" wide X 12 1/8" long.

Pretty different than the factory mounting points so not much opportunity to use the stock rails.

The universal sliding rails that came with these seats also came with different seats I put on the coupe before i sold it.  I didn't use them then because the sliding mechanism is crap.

So more custom mounts to be had!

Bottom of seat.

iDhxYQmh.jpg

After thinking up elaborate ways to use the stock rails or weld or fabricate i decided to KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

I decided to take one 1.25" and one 1.75" section of mild steel angle and simply drill and bolt them to the factory holes as a base for the new seats.

Rails with measurements

kxJZg2ih.jpg

Measure once drill twice.

Rear rail had to be trimmed at 45 deg angle to fit next to the tunnel.

Drilled

fLvb1Tvh.jpg

Alt view

b6Dy2orh.jpg

Front rail

urV1d9gh.jpg

Trial fit of the seats told me I needed to prop the back of the seat up and give them a tilt forward.  One, to avoid headrests hitting back glass and two,  to make seat not as slouched with the seat belt hitting passengers face.

I bought 1/2" spacers made of nylon but was not enough so I had to raise the whole back rail section another 3/8 or so.  So it kind of "floats" above the factory rear mounts

I am not terribly happy with that.  I feel the weight is more direct on the bolts so I may lower it back down and get spacers milled or try find online....suggestions?

Here is one seat installed.  Legroom slightly diminished from stock but seat is lower which is good.

Also need a way to lower seat belt height...suggestions?

Rails

Znq6fAyh.jpg

First seat installed

pOF7OJkh.jpg

• Like 2

Thinking of dropping the rear angle so it sits on the rear risers. Bought a 1.25" square tube today. Amd 60mm M8 bolts.

Thinking of using a full length tube as a spacer ON TOP of the angle then thru bolting the angle and tube to the seats.

Not sure how to attach the tube if at all to the angle.

Front not sure about how to improve.

• 2 months later...

These seats are a pain in my ass. Figuratively and literally

Porsche tombstone seats fit well, look period correct (if in black), and are very comfortable. Pretty common seat. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Installed my custom radiator piping today. I would have preferred blue to match some of the other accent but yellow is not too bad.

I also found a New Old Stock oil cap to replace the 38 year old original one

And I also found some new Chrome Fender mirrors also New Old Stock.

I've spoken to a few Nissan dealers in the USA trying to find original brake line so that I don't have to fabricate new ones but it looks like they are all gone

j7nzsXch.jpg

lBB5gmch.jpg

cOwzRA0h.jpg

AIyOOtPh.jpg

0e4dMQmh.jpg

• Like 1

I've spoken to a few Nissan dealers in the USA trying to find original brake line so that I don't have to fabricate new ones but it looks like they are all gone

If you go to any chain parts store they will have pre-made straight lines you just need to bend to the right shape? They aren't hard to bend. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...