nj0z1200ute - 1200 ute USA build

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good question I was told by people on the other Forum that the struts or not 1200 but the struts are a from a 120y

Maybe there is two different versions of a 120y strut and brake caliper?

Is there two different versions with the us version of the B210?

It's a good question I was told by people on the other Forum that the struts or not 1200 but the struts are a from a 120y

USDM B210 uses different bits than other markets. Here the B210 basically used all 510 stuff, equivalent to a Sunny Excellent overseas. 

So we got the Sunny Excellent suspension and brakes, but none of the other cool bits...   :crying:

In that era, 1200s and 120Ys would use the same struts/brakes. USDM "120Y"s used bigger struts/brakes, but not in other markets. 

Get some B310 control arms, steering knuckles, outer tie rods, and t/c rods. Put those on, then swap on some 280ZX struts/brakes.   B)

In that era, 1200s and 120Ys would use the same struts/brakes. USDM "120Y"s used bigger struts/brakes, but not in other markets. 

Get some B310 control arms, steering knuckles, outer tie rods, and t/c rods. Put those on, then swap on some 280ZX struts/brakes.   B)

Okay did some research on the struts. Trying to plan for what to do with my front brakes.

The tube is 45mm wide.

The number on the strut is: 54303 H7405 AMPCO

A search on the web tells me they are 120y struts. Is this correct?

I was assuming 1200 coupe struts with disc brakes. I was beginning to research replacement parts but now I am in a bit of a roadblock. The calipers that came with the car look really poor and I have no idea if they are any good. I was just going to assume I need new calipers and hardware for the brakes. Whats your guys opinion here?

Left side strutP1040044.jpg

MeasurementP1040046.jpg

Brake rotor about 8.5" wideP1040047.jpg

Right side strutP1040048.jpg

MeasurementP1040049.jpg

Brake rotor about 8.5" wideP1040050.jpg

Strut ID markingsP1040055.jpg

Calipers that came with car - unknown typeP1040056.jpgP1040057.jpg

I don't know for sure 100% but I would believe that these are 120y struts they came with the truck and both came from Australia

That guy knows what he's talking about... :rofl

But you didn't listen... B)

Limited funds. I bought lots of new steering and suspension parts already. Yoo far in to change now

But your are right i didn't listen

Funny how things change. Rereading old threads

I once had an L series engine (L18) and trans for this build (SSS stanza)

I once had twin 40mm carbs, a gx head for this build.....no longer.

Once had a rare console.

Stock head and 32.36 carb. Ive downgraded heaps. That's life.

Funny how things change. Rereading old threads

I once had an L series engine (L18) and trans for this build (SSS stanza)

I once had twin 40mm carbs, a gx head for this build.....no longer.

Once had a rare console.

Stock head and 32.36 carb. Ive downgraded heaps. That's life.

I might have you beat...   :P

Looking through my build thread, it goes...

CA18DET (decided it was too complex for what I wanted so I sold off)

KA24E (decided it was too heavy, but still have it)

L18 (not sure why I flaked on this?)

Ended up with a hot rod A15. Somehow simpler, yet more expensive than all the other options.  :rofl:

• Like 1

This link may help?

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Strut_swaps

• 2 weeks later...

Might have found a friend on the west coast willing to supply me brakes

The ole ute is gettin dusty these days.

Progress made.

Seat belts installed.

Rear loom repaired, there was some crusty wiring to repair. Retaped the loom and installed.

License plate lights installed.

Front and side indicators bulb changed cleaned amd installed.

Shock absorbers. Excel G replacements from oz installed.

Need some m12 split washers.

Go fast rocker cover bolts installed

that's all i can remember at the moment.

The shock upper mounts were covered in Raptor liner so i had to buy an m12 1.25 die ans rethread them. Clearance was a pain but my trusty big ass adjustable wrench did the slow job okay.

13419_591fbf265f3f9.jpg

13419_591fbf3b31e03.jpg

13419_591fbf50596cf.jpg

13419_591fbf5f67cef.jpg

13419_591fbf6c651a5.jpg

13419_591fbf7a69f6b.jpg

13419_591fbf884e8e3.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Had a friend lend me flares for a moment to test fit. I think they look cool but i decided i am not going down that road again. The General Ree i had to hire a shop to do it and help and it was a real pain. Good result but i dont like the idea of cutting into fresh fenders and quarter panels to make flares fit again.

OvuXBS8l.jpg

This is the correct shock absorber part number. I think someone was asking for that so here it is.

HJMuBaM.jpg

Suspension installed.

s7dUaXS.jpg

I returned the brakes i bought back to Rockauto since they were for bigger B210 version. My research shows that its possibly 76 and newer that uses the bigger caliper and rotor. Hence why it did not fit.

Luckilly Stan was able to help me out and give me a pair of Raybestos refurbished calipers that were the right size

2ENL4Ya.jpg

When they arrived i fit them bit then I had a new problem. The rotors were rubbing the calipers and that was a no go. From my measurements it turned out that the rotors that came with my ute were 220mm in diameter.

Rotors

oQOtjAl.jpg

Caliper rub

k6rpAcil.jpg

0fckoqLl.jpg

98RWptdl.jpg

I decided to take the calipers apart to paint them. I bought a Duplicolor caliper kit to paint them. I have to say the paint goes on super thick. By brush. The paint took weeks to cure so beware. Put it on as thin as possible and don't follow the directions to recoat after 5 minutes.....let the first coat dry for a few days first then recoat. Or use a different product.

XvfAe8Ol.jpg

VRwUR9Jl.jpg

cmzDMyxl.jpg

Wagner brake hardware kit from rockauto.

lKmXinGl.jpg

Paint.

2QP70ujl.jpg

jBbw8xCl.jpg

v8pWeTtl.jpg

Reassembled ready for struts.

53174Xbl.jpg

I solved the rotor problem by researching that the correct size for the B110 or B120 is 212mm rotors. The difference of 8mm was causing the rubbing issue. I hired a shop to machine the rotors down to 212mm to fit.

WZfOaY3.jpg

Success for now.

I have been obsessed lately with the whole stickerbomb trend.  I even joined a facebook group dedicated to it.  If you ever want to get free stickers from somewhere all you have to do is ask!  For a few months i have been contacting automotive companies and many were happy to send me stickers.  One even sent me a whole decal kit for the entire car!

So my inspiration led me and my toddler to start stickerbombing.   First i started with the door handle estrucheons.  Emojis!

Xk8jF8Wh.jpg

From cabinet grade plywood i made door panels next and continued the theme.

K3UoaSeh.jpg

yeMXyhHh.jpg

T4JIh9xh.jpg

ViSHwjk.jpg

Next I decided to think outside the box and do an exposed roof.  I have never seen it done before on a 1200 so why not try.  If i get tired of it then i can always cover it with a factory headlining.

I coated the surface rust in POR 15 first.  Painting it on a vertical surface is a real pain in the stomach.

l9QbT8uh.jpg

hFSEPDrh.jpg

um1KYRXh.jpg

This is still a work in progress.

• Like 2

The next big hurdle in the building of this ute was the transmission mount and crossmember.   For those that follow this thread you would recall that the factory  mounts were removed from the body shell by the previous owner.  Why?  Probably because he was planning a CA or SR conversion and needed the extra room in the transmission tunnel.

bp6eY8Bh.jpg

Unlucky for me.  Keeping the tried and true A series motor with a 60a series 5 speed transmission requires those factory mounts.

So what to do? 

Weld some donors?  Seems too hard.

Fabricate custom mount?

First i headed down the road of fabricating my own crossmember like many others have done.  I managed to get going on this but decided to look and see if there was another way.

FkD32yph.jpg

I studied the mount that someone had made for the 5 speed and noticed it was different than the usual B110 or B120 mount.  The rubber isolater itself was different.

5w1cxjvh.jpg

From my research i discovered this isolator was from another model Datsun.  This gave me an idea so i started researching other Datsun models and how the transmission mounts.

My first idea was using a 510 crossmember.  I managed to find one but when it arrived i discovered that the ends are sloped and would be too much work to try and make it work

QrsWf2mh.jpg

After more research I found out that the rubber isolator from my 5 speed is for a Z car.  So i looked into this further.

I found out that the 240z has a good looking crossmember that was flat not sloped like the 510.  Finding a spare early 240z transmission crossmember was not easy.  More research led me to find that Techno toy tuning makes an aftermarket Z car crossmember!   So i purchased one and also a new 240z isolator.

HrWJU1Th.jpg

n6eYxhoh.jpg

Using parts from my other Pitroad 5 speed mount i was able to slap together enough parts to make this work.   The spacers and the flat face nuts were key to make this work.

1sFqjqvh.jpg

Installation begins.  No more rope.

h43j7sDh.jpg

xA2Itwfh.jpg

5EGpzenh.jpg

The hardest part was getting the measurements correct and installing it square.  To reinforce the bolts I used my beginning crossmember and chopped it up as plates.

nehCSxUh.jpg

JO1T50Nh.jpg

B2ev824h.jpg

4Vvh3knh.jpg

WW2P5ioh.jpg

xptn6rOh.jpg

XpDIgEMh.jpg

Done and dusted.

Next problem.  The driveshaft is 1 inch too long.  The struggle never ends.

• Like 1