nj0z1200ute - 1200 ute USA build

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if you are using an engine that is turbocharged from the factory, and you keep it mostly stock (key word), it should be fairly trouble free.

It will never be easier/cheaper to install than carbs. Easier to "tune", maybe.

But again, if it's a (mostly) stock CA/SR, it will not require any "tuning". But unless you install all new sensors and probably a new wiring harness when you swap it in, it will break down occasionally.

Carbs have never left me stranded on the side of the road. EFI has. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Project build update. Finally have a new location for the ute to work on it. With the 70 degree weather this past weekend I had no excuse to go and work on it.

I found some heater control knobs from www.new-datsun-parts.com They were pretty affordable.

I also found a new Steering column bushing from Bprojects Japan and had it delivered. I decided to tackle the steering bush install. So I removed the steering wheel, cover, and turn signal unit that I had installed for no reason whatsoever

This is what I was working with:

Attach file:

jpg.gif  IMG_0627.jpg (174.32 KB)
13419_566f72cfa3061.jpg
I remember doing this a long time ago on the General. I remember banging on the bushing with a hammer and it pretty much came right out. 

I had forgotten that I had already done this and first approached removing the bushing by using two flat screwdrivers and trying to wrench it off with both of those...no luck. Tried using vice grips on the whole sleeve of the bushing...no luck. Tried two pairs of vice grips each on one "tongue" of the old sleeve...no luck. Spent 2 hours banging on the old sleeve with several different types of sharp objects...no luck. I began to pry the metal up around the circumference of the old sleeve and I noticed a maroon colored residue there. Could this perhaps be some old loc-tite? I think probably. More banging with a hammer, no luck. Than I decided to take a propane blow torch to the damn sleeve and while hot, banging it more with a hammer and screwdriver....badddabing....it came loose! 

Good thing the saturation of WD-40 did not ignite inside the steering column.

Photo time.

New bushing versus old bushing

P1030989.jpg

New pair of snap ring pliers to do the job
P1030999.jpg

Snap ring off and finally got the bushing out
P1030982.jpg

P1030983.jpg

filed down the sharp edges
P1030991.jpg

blew out the inside of the column with some compressed air. Also attempted to clean the old threads and gunk inside with some paint thinner and q tips
P1030992.jpg

Added some grease to the outside and inside of the new bushing
P1030993.jpg

Fitting the new bushing. Slight taps with hammer and screwdriver
P1030995.jpg

P1030994.jpg

Finished installed bushing!
P1030996.jpg

P1040001.jpg

P1040004.jpg

P1040003.jpg

Indicator stalk in
P1040002.jpg

Trying to figure out how these parts go together
P1040006.jpg

P1040007.jpg

No idea how to hook up the horn. Instructions are very vague.

There is 2 white wires, 1 black wire inside the wheel, 2 tabs for hooking up wires on the horn button, one in the center and one off center, and also there is a brass ring fitting.

Further research on the bushing and from a cross post on the main forum, I have not installed a washer between the new bushing and snap ring but there should be one there. There wasn't one installed. Going to search for it. I don't think it will fit though its very tight between the snap ring groove and the new bushing which won't tighten any further.

So one week before xmas my refrigerator dies. Yay me. While i was out shopping at Lowes i picked up a 5 foot folding table to work on. 

Turned out to be very handy for dumping out the unlabeled Ziploc bags of nuts,bolts, shims, washers, bushings and every other part from the ute that i have no idea where it goes.

Among the pile i found the needle in the hay stack. What appeared to be the Thrust Washer. The spacer that goes between the steering bushing and the snap ring.

I took off the indicator stalk and steering wheel to get back to the bushing. Took off the snap ring. At first i didn't think the washer was going to fit. It did not go over the taper. I had to bang it down with a hammer onto the bushing. 

When doing so i noticed the snap ring groove had moved down into the bushing. I found this odd and could only figure that the steering shaft sank a little. I put the nut on the steering end where the splines are and tapped the shaft back out a ways to expose the snap ring groove a little. So it looks like the shaft is travelling in and out a little. 

Is this normal?

Quote:

it looks like the shaft is travelling in and out a little. 

Is this normal?

Yes, very normal. The steering gearbox should be adjusted to spec (just be careful not to overtighten it -- the play can all be taken up but that will damage the gearbox). See Steering Gearbox Adjustment. Then the column bush should be adjusted. Turn it out to take up all slack out of the shaft, then back off to 0.5 mm play.

Thanks for the article on the Wiki. I read about the Steering gearbox adjustment. Today I worked a little more on the ute. When I went to go untighten the lock nut with the wrench I noticed it was totally loose! I was expecting the adjuster to be the same but it wasn't very loose. All it took was about 1/8 turn to take up the slack. I was sure not to put too much pressure on it. Then I took the wrench and tightened back up the lock nut.

Here is the picture before (loose) and after (tight) You can notice a slight adjustment.

P1040025.jpg

P1040026.jpg

Decided today also to grease the joints in the Steering Linkage.

Although I installed all brand new tie rods, draglink, idler arm, ball joints a few years ago in the build.......I never greased them. I didn't know I had to. I was reading someone else's project build recently and saw them do it. The ute hasn't driven since I have had it, only towed a few times on a flat truck and moved around pushed a few times in the garage.

I have a grease gun and attempted to do this today. I was able to find grease nipples for the inner and outer tie rods. As well as the drag link. However I was not able to find a grease nipple on the ball joints. How do you grease them? 

Also looks like one of the tie rods has a tiny puncture in the rubber casing? Does this mean it is has gone bad and should be replaced?

Does the idler arm need to be greased too?

Ball joint below
P1040028.jpg

Ball joint above
P1040029.jpg

Possible puncture in the tie rod casing?
P1040027.jpg

I was able to find grease nipples for the inner and outer tie rods. As well as the drag link. However I was not able to find a grease nipple on the ball joints. How do you grease them?

You don't.   B)

Unless you want to drill and tap them for zerk fittings. Some brands have them, some don't. I tend to avoid the brands that don't have them, but they work just as well as the others. Just not as much longevity. 

Possible puncture in the tie rod casing?

No, it's supposed to be like that. It keeps you from overgreasing it and rupturing the boot. Almost all brands have a tiny little hole in the side just like that. 

• Like 1
Little more work done last night.

Maddat brace fitted and allen head bolts tightened.

Was surprised to see the 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the brace and body panel disappear when tightened fully.

Fourth picture is some damage I discovered on the right front frame where the body was sitting on the Sway Bar. I really need to replace those dodgy springs and bring the front end up a little so it is not rubbing on the Sway Bar. 

Bought an old box of snap rings off eBay for $4 and with my new handy snap ring pliers I was able to finally fix the wiper arm linkage.

Lastly, assembled the new aftermarket brake master cylinder and attached to brake pedal.

Attach file:

jpg.gif  P1040030.JPG (138.57 KB)
13419_5681c86db854d.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040031.JPG (177.51 KB)
13419_5681c87647bf5.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040032.JPG (154.88 KB)
13419_5681c8800cf7d.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040033.JPG (165.13 KB)
13419_5681c886c06c6.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040034.JPG (150.53 KB)
13419_5681c88c7ac3c.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040036.JPG (138.03 KB)
13419_5681c8952383f.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040038.JPG (111.16 KB)
13419_5681c89cc2208.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040039.JPG (145.53 KB)
13419_5681c8a371465.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040040.JPG (155.06 KB)
13419_5681c8a9d2b84.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040041.JPG (177.62 KB)
13419_5681c8b1ea577.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040042.JPG (171.60 KB)
13419_5681c8b8bca83.jpg

jpg.gif  P1040043.JPG (174.44 KB)
13419_5681c8bf32650.jpg

You don't.   B)

Unless you want to drill and tap them for zerk fittings. Some brands have them, some don't. I tend to avoid the brands that don't have them, but they work just as well as the others. Just not as much longevity. 

No, it's supposed to be like that. It keeps you from overgreasing it and rupturing the boot. Almost all brands have a tiny little hole in the side just like that. 

Thanks for the insight!

Okay did some research on the struts. Trying to plan for what to do with my front brakes.

The tube is 45mm wide.
The number on the strut is: 54303 H7405 AMPCO

A search on the web tells me they are 120y struts. Is this correct?

I was assuming 1200 coupe struts with disc brakes. I was beginning to research replacement parts but now I am in a bit of a roadblock. The calipers that came with the car look really poor and I have no idea if they are any good. I was just going to assume I need new calipers and hardware for the brakes. Whats your guys opinion here?

Left side strut
P1040044.jpg

Measurement
P1040046.jpg

Brake rotor about 8.5" wide
P1040047.jpg

Right side strut
P1040048.jpg

Measurement
P1040049.jpg

Brake rotor about 8.5" wide
P1040050.jpg

Strut ID markings
P1040055.jpg

Calipers that came with car - unknown type
P1040056.jpg

P1040057.jpg

Okay I believe I adjusted the steering bush following the instructions posted from the Nissan manual.

Took the play out of the steering box by adjusting the locknut/screw (as posted before)

I measured the distance between the column bushing and the thrust washer and it was 2mm

I backed off the column bushing to around 1.0mm to 0.5mm (the thrust washer isn't perfectly flat so it was hard to get a perfect reading)

Replaced the snap ring with a new one

Loosened the thrust washer and snap ring

I put a dimple in the top of the jacket tube where it meets the markings on the column bushing.

Also caulked the other 3 markings on the column bushing with some silicone.

While I was at it, I also caulked the "security" screws on the steering lock that were previously broken off so that they don't rattle around while driving or back out.

Pics in order of assembly:

Old snap ring vs new one
P1040062.jpg

P1040063.jpg

P1040064.jpg

P1040066.jpg

P1040067.jpg

P1040068.jpg

P1040069.jpg

Okay did some research on the struts. Trying to plan for what to do with my front brakes.

The tube is 45mm wide.

The number on the strut is: 54303 H7405 AMPCO

A search on the web tells me they are 120y struts. Is this correct?

In that era, 1200s and 120Ys would use the same struts/brakes. USDM "120Y"s used bigger struts/brakes, but not in other markets. 

Whats your guys opinion here?

Get some B310 control arms, steering knuckles, outer tie rods, and t/c rods. Put those on, then swap on some 280ZX struts/brakes.   B)

Any reason you have to think it's not a B120 diff?

Yea the previous owner had alot of coupe parts he gave me with the shell that i am still slowly discovering are coupe parts. Like the struts. The window felts were from a coupe. So were the leaf springs, and tailshaft.

He didn't label anything or give me much history on the car, lots of parts missing, that sort of thing. I have to do detective work to find these things out

In that era, 1200s and 120Ys would use the same struts/brakes. USDM "120Y"s used bigger struts/brakes, but not in other markets. 

Get some B310 control arms, steering knuckles, outer tie rods, and t/c rods. Put those on, then swap on some 280ZX struts/brakes.   B)

Whole front steering assembly is brand new