nj0z1200ute - 1200 ute USA build

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Good idea about the cowl grille. 

Never bothered to think if the ID was stamped on it. Will have to check later on. 

I am going to try and get a 620 tailgate and do the embossed modification.

Not sure how to go about it. I think it might be a matter of cutting off the skin and rewelding it
Been spending Datsun dollars again.

Picked up an ex-race GX head for the A14. Head is complete with valves, springs, etc... (Thanks OGREinc) Head has been shaved for higher compression. I believe the intake ports have been enlarged a well. I plan on getting it cleaned and ready for the A14 by an engine builder inthe future.

Shaved 0.025, not sure if that will be good or bad for my project.

13419_54351b5c72101.jpg13419_54351b697d1d3.jpg13419_54351b7813035.jpg13419_54351b8cb180e.jpg
More Datsun dollars.

Also had an Ebay goody show up today in the aussie post.

Its a "GX" stamped twin sidedraft manifold, heavily used. Came with disassembled linkage kit also used. I had a go at putting it back together but never dealt with this rig before. Any ideas on the two extra pieces?

Any pieces missing?

Any problems using a used setup like this? There is alot of wear marks here and there. See photos.

$150 aud for this setup. Any good?

13419_54351d6910e5c.jpg13419_54351d77ee2fd.jpg13419_54351d86beab4.jpg13419_54351d961fc41.jpg13419_54351da9205b7.jpg13419_54351dd9e73a0.jpg13419_54351ded5276c.jpg13419_54351dff0bf7a.jpg13419_54351e10e4632.jpg13419_54351e1e2ed1f.jpg13419_54351e2b6e0a6.jpg13419_54351e3a9ce59.jpg

The wear marks on the flange are typical adjustments made to ensure the manifold sits well with the extractors. The GX twin side-draft manifold is very similar, if not the same casting to the JTS manifolds, quality is good with a nice solid bridge to join the pairs of runners, the provision of four blind bosses, one on each runner can be plumbed for vacuum reference. I prefer a manifold with an integrated throttle shaft mount as I find those threaded components holding the throttle bar to be a PITA, sometimes older units have sloppy threads and I have had my entire throttle assembly 'lift' before, causing much drama while tearing out onto a highway throttling a mongrel race engine.

The small collar with a tightening nut is a locking collar to stop the throttle shaft moving forth and aft (looking from drivers position). There are typically two of these, or sometimes one collar and an 'e-clip'. Looks to have a circular throttle bar which can be problematic when it is of a small diameter, over-springing the throttle return can lead to constant slipping of the throttle arms - this symptom is typically what creates the myth that 'side-drafts continuously need tuning'. This is not the case if set-up properly using the appropriate diameter rod.

$150.00 is a good purchase to include most of the linkages. A good starting base.

Thanks Chris for the comments.

The grind/wear marks on the flange looked to me like they were done deliberately as you suggested for fitting extractors.

The linkage assembly seems heavily used. I might consider buying a new linkage kit just to have a setup that is solid. I acknowledge your comments how a worn setup can cause issues with the throttle and the running of the sidedraft carbs.

Do you have a linkage kit that you would suggest for this setup new....where to buy?

I suppose also that I will need those spacers that go between the manifold and the carbs, and also trumpets or filters for the carbs too.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

The linkages setup in my opinion is best made from quality parts sourced from hardware suppliers, the kits offered on-line are just not that great unless you can find someone with some real savvy, here is where I buy all my carb parts:

Dellorto UK

Quality linkage rod ends can be found at relevant hardware outlets, CBC sell good units.

As for spacers I recommend these, the thicker the better. Remember you may need longer manifold studs to accommodate the thick spacers.

Phenolic Spacer 1/4" thick

Phenolic Spacer 1/2" thick [reccomended]

Quote:

Choices: * Use stock 1200 coil with stock ballast resistor or * Fit EI coil and remove ballast resistor

The latter will make it a high-energy system, for better burning, less missfire. Then you can change the spark plugs to .13 mm type for the ultimate system.

Reminder

nice color

WHOA, you even converted it to a LWB.

Yea it only took 2 days to complete from a pile of parts too. It was very fun to build, but with all those model cars the devil is in the details. I spent hours painting up the interior and you can't even see it. Might have to integrate a little LED light if I really want to go nuts.

I plan on building another for the General Ree - (Santa brought me 2 by accident). Even ordered custom wheels and decals off of Ebay for it!

Right or Left hand drive?

RHD of course...hehe.