720 Suspension woes. Bent subframe or...?

Hi All!

I'm wrenching on my 1980 720 Longbed.  Been busy replacing the front end suspension and steering components this past week, but have hit a couple of snags.

It appears that there is a major issue... somewhere.  I'm wondering if the upper control arms might be bent, or if the subframe is messed up somehow.

Here's some photos of the passenger side. It appears someone replaced the upper control arm at some point with a unit out of a junk yard:

20150325_084005_zps1et6uyw6.jpg

20150325_083910_zpsn8cpv34c.jpg

The arm is making contact with the shock, even when the car is sitting on the groud.  The old shock I had pulled off was actually bent.

The tire also sits at the wrong angle, there's a LOT of negative camber (tire points towards the middle of the truck).  It's as though the upper control arm is too short.

Also, when trying to get the control arm off the drivers side of the car, I wasn't able to get the upper control arm to clear the inner part of the fender.  I disconnected the ball joint, and the two bolts on the back of the arm (just like the manual says to do) but I couldn't get the right angle to get the arm off.

Photo of the drivers side:

20150325_084113_zpsp8irnakg.jpg

Any ideas how to proceed from here?  I'm not sure how to fix these issues.

And finally, does anyone know where I can source new upper control arms for this thing?  I've scoured and haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Thanks as always!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...