Dash lights not working.

Sierra

So, my dash lights are no longer turning on.

I check fuses, and follow all wires that lead to the main cluster and all seems fine. I replaced de dimmer switch and that fixed the issue for a couple of days. Lights are not working again.

So I am thinking that there is a shot somewhere that is burning the dimmer.

Any idea where should I start looking?

BTW everything else works, radio, engine, oil, and other warning lights.

Car: 1978 B210

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me check the rear lights.

Yes!  They are hard to see from the driver's seat!  I am waiting for my son to drop by to trouble shoot that problem with my RL411, he cured my break light problem but then had to go to work!

"Work is the curse of the drinking man!"

• Like 1

If the tail lights are out then the fuse is likely blown, so don't trust them, replace them. Better yet get a $5 test lamp and see if there is even power to the fuse.

If tail lights are on and dash lights are not it's possible the dimmer switch isn't properly grounded.

• 2 weeks later...

Taillights work. They turn on when I turn the headlights but no dashboard lights :(

I replaced all the fuses and got a couple of dimmer switches from the yard and play with the hem, but no luck.

Someone told me to replace it the voltage regulator but I also read that the 78 model has the voltage regulator inside the alternator.

I am at a lost.

There is an "Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator" inside the cluster gauge. It has nothing to do with the lights.

The dash lights won't work if the cluster is not grounded. If you had the dash at the time this may be the cause. If your dash Turn Signal lamps dont work either that is likely the problem. The oil lamp and CHG lamp is independent of the dash ground so they will still work.

So, my dash lights are no longer turning on... I replaced de dimmer switch and that fixed the issue for a couple of days. ...

Car: 1978 B210

1978 uses an active (electronic) dimmer, different from early B210 passive dimmer. Make sure you replace with the same type.

Just unplug the switch & connect wires 2 & 3 together. Bypass the switch.

Smart move. Wish I had thought of it.   :rofl:

On my B210 I went through 4 dimmer switches until I found one that worked correctly. Even then, sometimes you had to wiggle the knob if the dash lights went off.