damn truck

mmsonic

Ok, I was getting ready to leave school, as usual, when my truck wouldn't start. no biggie, i thought, except I forgot cables. So, me and my friends push started it. got home and sat, tried starting it again, it didn't start, so I jumped it. worked fine. Same thing happened the next day though, and then I got worried. Checked the voltage on the battery, perfectly fine. I can't start the truck unless it is jumped, or is push started, wtf! my friend said it might be the ignition switch, I replaced the tumbler not to long ago, but not the switch.

could that be it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no crank?? or just a click? could be the iggy switch. try this. next time it does it, turn on the lights and see what happens when you hit the key. if the lights dim, then the starter (in theroy) is bad. if they dont it could be an ignition switch, or even a bad battery cable. i have had that happen before.

if the lights are not coming on, then it sounds like there is no power coming from the battery but when you jump it it is getting power to the starter. Try pulling the cables off the battery and cleaning the the connectors and the posts on the battery to make sure you are getting a good connection .

sounds like the battery is done for. or you have a serious drain on the system. alt could be done for too. i have had an alt go where once it started it ran fine. as soon as it was shut of no juice. replaced the alt and charged the battery and no more problems. but that was on a dodge so who knows :D

You said the battery voltage is fine. check the voltage down at the starter and see if it is still good down there, if it is it it is the could be the switch if not it could be the cable, but you said it works when you jump it. So that tells me it is not the cable but the connections at the battery or even a bad ground connection.

or you have a serious drain on the system.

maybe that drain could be the stereo, but its not that bad. that stereo could have been too much for a 2 year old sitting battery.

I'll just swap the battery (60 month warranty Nappa) and see how it goes from there. If that works, well... it works. If it doesn't new alt, or more exploring.

Can't wait for my KA.

You said the battery voltage is fine. check the voltage down at the starter and see if it is still good down there, if it is it it is the could be the switch if not it could be the cable, but you said it works when you jump it. So that tells me it is not the cable but the connections at the battery or even a bad ground connection.

i had a toyota corrola where i was having a no start issue. jumped it and it worked fine. new battery, new alt, new starter. same issues. checked em all no problems. all the connections were clean. replaced the cables and all the issues went away. the cable its self was corroded INSIDE the insulation where you couldn't see it.