Dodge Neon Seats In My 720

dhp123166

I had a mismatched (relatively comfortable) thrashed Corbeau driver seat and a godawful stock 720 passenger seat in my truck.

Thanks to the helpful helpers of Ratsun for pointing me in the direction of Dodge Neon seats which are basically bolt in..and they are!

Local salvage yard had 3 or 4 Neons and these seats were the best.

They are very comfortable and they somewhat match my blue 720.

I wonder who figured out that this will work and how they did it?

IMG_3791_zpstj2xg2l0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Necessity is the mother of invention.

... think about it.

Well yes, I guess what I am getting at is the pool of vehicles to choose from when recontexting parts is huuuuge!

Did someone just stumble upon this swap, or put thought into it?

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about the Neon seats is that one sits an inch or two higher, it feels strange at first, but I got used to it until I quit driving that truck, now when I get in it, it feels strange again, they are comfy seats though, and one can find them easily, as there are lots of Neon's in the wrecking yards. :)

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
On 3/18/2015 at 4:07 PM, dhp123166 said:

I had a mismatched (relatively comfortable) thrashed Corbeau driver seat and a godawful stock 720 passenger seat in my truck.

Thanks to the helpful helpers of Ratsun for pointing me in the direction of Dodge Neon seats which are basically bolt in..and they are!

Local salvage yard had 3 or 4 Neons and these seats were the best.

They are very comfortable and they somewhat match my blue 720.

I wonder who figured out that this will work and how they did it?

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b404/dhp123166/IMG_3791_zpstj2xg2l0.jpg

Hey DHP,

Just double checking... these Neon seats were a direct bolt in for all four holes??  NO drilling or modifications needed????  I snagged older Rodeo seats and they matched up front, but not in the rear, so I grabbed the wrong year.  I need to return them and my yard has several Neons. I want to exchange them so hopefully your reply will help me out. Thanks Bro.

• Like 1

Rodeo seats are nearly 100% bolt in.  

1st, put the bolts into the rear holes, can't recall, you may need washers if using original bolts.  

On the front, you will need washers, otherwise the original bolt head in my opinion doesn't have enough meat to hold onto.  Put the bolt in, and you can bend the overhanging track back to the 'hump' as you tighten the front bolts.

That's it, nearly plug/play, an ever so slight bending of that front overhanging track.

• Like 1
On 3/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, olskool720 said:

Hey DHP,

Just double checking... these Neon seats were a direct bolt in for all four holes??  NO drilling or modifications needed????  I snagged older Rodeo seats and they matched up front, but not in the rear, so I grabbed the wrong year.  I need to return them and my yard has several Neons. I want to exchange them so hopefully your reply will help me out. Thanks Bro.

Technically yes.

On the 1st set I tried ( the cloth seats seen above) they all lined up and went in , but it was tight and tightening sequence does matter ( all 4 bolts 1/2 way then slowly all the way).

The black leather ( tops anyway) Neon second seat set were a different story.

The passenger side bolted right in, albeit was tight.

The driver side lined up on three holes ( 2 front and 1 rear) and the other rear hole was off so I just drilled a hole in the floor and attached the seat that way although 3 bolts will hold the seat firmly in place.

The correct thing to do in that situation would be to just hog all 4 seat holes out.

There is a thread on here in the 720 group that shows the black Neon leather topped seats I put in my truck. My understanding is that they were standard on some kind of special "GT" or "Race" version of Neon. I love them, they are super comfy, and the leather is cool and actually quality material.

Good luck.

Edited by dhp123166
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I did not like the way the Neon seat felt in my '86 KC.  I felt the seat had too much "bucket" to it and also left the lower part of my thighs feeling unsupported.  I also had only 3 of 4 holes line up, I drilled a 4th hole in the floor of the truck and put a 10.1 grade nut on the underside, and plugged the original 4th hole with a bolt.

Then I got a Rodeo seat and it fit perfectly.  The foam was totally flattened out and the fabric was gnarly. I took it to a local upholsterer who re-foamed and re-covered the seat and now it is dream-like.  I sit a little high but still comfortable.

• Like 1

I'm still on the fence about these Neon seats. 75% chance they are going back.  My 720 is a kingcab. 

My cons:

= They definitely sit higher. Feels awkward.  The rear view mirror blocks more of my view at 4 way stops etc.  I'm only 5' 8", but I did bonk my nugget yesterday exiting the cab.  I've been in and out numerous times without doing that, so was surprised that I did it.  I had never bonked my head exiting prior to these seats.

= I only got 2 holes on each seat to line up perfectly.  I mean perfectly.  One on the front, one on the back. On the front, I had to make one seat bracket hole bigger (as was stated in other posts).  On the back, I had to drill a new hole altogether in the cab floor and subsequently use nut/bolt/lockwasher/biggerwasher.  Bigger holes in the mounts for the alignment meant a trip to store for some heavy duty washers.

= On the stock 720 brackets, the front mounts have a slight angle/slant to them. The Neons are 90 degree. So, you've got to bend them a bit to make them sit flush on the cab floor.

= The seats are a bit narrow, made for a little compact car of course. So they hug you that's for sure.  Hefty sitters might be uncomfortable.

= Because they are made for a little car, the angle of the seat pan is kind of steep. I feel like my knees sit up higher/at an angle.

= This is a big con to me.  Because the Neon is a sedan, there's no need for the front seats to fold down/tilt forward to a flatter setting. So to put them in a king cab, you lose the ability to easily get to stuff in the back. The seats don't fold down to give you easy access. Although, the seat does slide forward pretty far, but still not easy to get to the back.

My pros:

= Super comfy.  My pair were in very, very good condition. Foam was still really stiff and firm.

= The seat seems to slide forward really far and it does slide back farther than the normal 720 bucket, at least it seems to me.

= Cool looking seats. Mine are black in a blue interior.

= Definitely an improvement over my worn down 30+ old stock buckets.

Now that I've typed up this list of pros and cons, I see that my cons list is pretty long.  I think I've changed the odds of me returning them to 90%.  My 720 is static lowered with cranks of the torsion bars and 4" blocks in the rear. But, with the added height in the seat, it's funny, I no longer feel like I'm driving a lowered 720.  Hmmm, I guess I'll have to look at costs to redo my stock buckets.

• Like 1