zimm

ring gap setting

what are the setting  for the piston ring gap if anyone can give me that info it would greatly would be appreciated

On a stock bore L20B (per the FSM)

Top ring gap......... 0.0098" to 0.0157"
Second ring gap... 0.0118" to 0.0197"

I found an on line site that specified 0.0044" for every inch of bore for the top ring... I got 0.0133" end gap
For the second ring 0.0055" for every inch of bore and I got 0.018" gap. Close enough for a stock use engine.

For the top ring it's about .004" for every inch of bore. That's a rule of thumb. For the second ring it's less important, but the same rule can be used.

That will work as they all will. A tighter tolerance seals the compression better but on the down side if ever over heated, risk the gap closing and the rings or lands breaking. This would be an extreme case however caused by owner ignorance or running a turbo which isn't expected here. I've pulled many pistons with broken rings but usually they had either seized or had a rod through the block.

I found an on line site that specified 0.0044" for every inch of bore for the top ring... I got 0.0133" end gap

For the second ring 0.0055" for every inch of bore and I got 0.018" gap. Close enough for a stock use engine.

This is the rule I have always used as well. Have yet to have a failure. 

Keep in mind that, like Mike stated, THIS IS FOR A STOCK ENGINE. If your are using any type of power adder like a turbo, super charger or nitrous, this gap will need to be bigger.