Lunatik B110

Lunatik

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like ricers... put muffler to make the car loud. :) 

Well, today was a good day, went to the pick and pull and got a whole front end out of a 240sx, and got the strut mount and all suspension from another. I know the strut spring do not fit but Ill be getting the weld on kit to make this one adjustable with a smaller diameter spring. 

Im hopping to get this front end tomorrow installed for Monday Installing the engine and transmission to mock up the build.

Cleaning 

20150321_182051.jpg

After cutting to fit

20150321_201346.jpg

20150321_201356.jpg

Today was a good day... finished mocking the modified cross-member mounts and length, tomorrow when I get the engine, I will be able to measure the mounts to verify if moving the mounts did the trick in moving the engine forward enough; base on my number the engine do not clear the wall for 1.5 inches... If it is more, then I modify the engine mounts. 

The lower control arms are too long, total front suspension length for the datsun is 46.5in back plate to back plate, the 240SX is 56in from back plate to back plate. I might be able to move the carrier hole backward about 3 inches on each side... that leave a total lenght of 50in which is about 2.25in more track on each side, I like the idea of having a wider track but I have to research how to build a bracket to move the struts back to stock location in that way I can place a very positive offset and wide wheel in front and still under the fender. 

Before removing the mounts

20150322_140649.jpg

Mounts removed

20150322_162405.jpg

Testing the mounts

20150322_161723.jpg

20150322_192156.jpg

1.5in front

20150322_192235.jpg

Next modifying the struts with the adjuster kit from T3

20150322_105721.jpg

• Like 1

Finally engine arrived today. I got the whole day tomorrow planned to work on this build, first is cleaning the engine and replacing gaskets, for sure checking compression to verify the numbers, and inspecting the turbo. 

20150327_172239.jpg

20150327_172245.jpg

• Like 1

what are you doing for a radiator?

I have not figure that one out yet... after the engine is in the bay then I will know which type, my preference is one that have the filler in the reservoir... also because I will be running an intercooler in front still a lot to measure... 

I got some numbers or anyone interested in knowing the true dimension of the engine; 

The head is longer than the block by few inches but the measurements are from the front pulley to the middle of the mount bolt and from the middle mount bolt to the back side of the head as well...

Front to mount 11.5in, mount to back side of head 10.75in, over all length pulley to back side of the head 22.25in. Moving the engine mount 1.5in forward did the trick to fit the engine without hitting the firewall... (shame I dont have a firewall) :) 

The engine bay is about 27.5in deep... after putting the crossmember I have 1.75 inches separation from the firewall and a front gap of 3.5in... the radiator will fit very snugly there.

The next steps for the engine... ordering a CXRacing intake, 80mm throttle body and top mount turbo exhaust... I have been looking into running a VGT turbo but still thinking about this option. To mate the S13 engine to the 6spd tranny I have to get the right flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. This changes will simplify the wiring and engine setup tremendously and making the engine serviceable. 

I found a 20V head complete... but I rather put the money into the wheels and tires, and the whole front suspension assembly. 

I hope this info helps anyone there... I tried to draw the fitment but no luck with the file.

Regards,

Yes, VG30 fits into 1200 engine bay no problem.

There's actually a few problems.  ^_^

You can bolt in a long block and take some pretty (and tiny) photos, but that's a long way from actually driving it. The starter brace will rub on the steering center link, and the right tie rod will bang into the starter long before reaching full lock on the wheel in a right turn. Also, the transmission doesn't even come close to fitting in the tunnel, even if it's an auto car, so you'll be making an entirely new one, and wave goodbye to the heater box. And if you raise the engine enough for the steering to clear, you'll also be raising that tunnel even higher than that. 

I tired this once. That was enough to convince me otherwise. It's a tight squeeze in a 510, and a 1200 engine bay is narrower in width, and shorter in length. 

That's Dave Lum's photo. He got it done. Yes its not an easy swap, but it is doable.

No, as a matter of fact he didn't. Dave pulled that engine out and sold the car after seeing it wouldn't work.  

Dave sold his 1200 not long after buying it, and has been trying to get me to build him one ever since.  

Spreading misinformation can lead people down the wrong path, and could get very expensive for them. Just saying...

Unless you've done it yourself, or seen it in person, I'd slow down on telling people how easy it is. I have tried it. It doesn't even come close to an "easy" swap with "no problems". 

Not trying to be a dick, David. Just want to keep you honest.   :)

Maybe I was mistaken about Lum finishing it.

On his web site is a write up

The transplant was a great success, and has been copied by about 5 others in my home town.

there are no modifications to make in the engine bay apart from a few mountings that need to be installed

Thanks for the feedback on the VG engine... sometime our ideas dont work as planned but at least now we know that it is not as feasible as sometime we think. 

I have been working on this conversion all weekend, but I get a lot of visitors then we get beer and beer again... by the time everyone leaves, Im wasted or not in good working condition... that for sure.

Well, this weekend I got the crossmember done at last, and as well took all the outside parts of the engine, I am getting ready to start the tear down to get everything checked or replaced. Before closing I stored the engine right beside my other conversion that I am working... what a difference, I really like the Nissan engine the best.

20150329_200219.jpg

During the week, I will be working in getting all parts cleaned and ready for installation... then working on the engine by next weekend. 

As well, a friend brought me a set of wheels to try in the car and start the fitment process... I have not decided which wheels to run yet, but for sure soon I will have an idea. The rears are 15x8 with a back space of 3.5in and the front are 15x4 

20150329_201542.jpg

20150329_201639.jpg

As well, a friend brought me a set of wheels to try in the car and start the fitment process... I have not decided which wheels to run yet, but for sure soon I will have an idea. The rears are 15x8 with a back space of 3.5in and the front are 15x4 

Those look sharp on a 1200.   :thumbup:

1200-8.jpg

At least six 1200s have been fitted with VGs.

But in most every way, an SR20 swap is better. Great looking too.

Finally engine arrived today. I got the whole day tomorrow planned to work on this build, first is cleaning the engine and replacing gaskets, for sure checking compression to verify the numbers, and inspecting the turbo.

20150327_172239.jpg

20150327_172245.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Guys, no much progress so far, I have been preparing my other cars for the upcoming drives (swap meets) I had to stop the 1200 for few weeks. But I got the new set of ball joints (200sx), I am manufacturing a new LCA and brackets for this car to use the 240sx struts. I will post the build soon with the cut list.

Regards

20150411_215128.jpg

20150411_215134.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

At last, I can start working on the datsun again after been working on other non datsun projects. The first thing got a tachometer from a member of this site and got it installed before I loose it in my mess.

I still have one more project to finish before working full time in the datsun.

20150512_203156.jpg

Regards

• Like 3