Idle hands: assorted projects

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is going to be something alright. Starting off pretty slow on this one, but have managed to get the interior stripped minus doors and headliner.

juoSNuB.jpg

JceNJPL.jpg

tOUaEaD.jpg

drDmBeu.jpg

Floors are pretty solid, a few more pin holes than I would like, but still the most rust free project I've had in a while. With the front glass out and seal mostly cleaned out I got a look at the root around the rim.

6xR7YlX.jpg

It ain't pretty, but it isn't through either. Might be able to get away without having to cut and patch it.

• Like 1
On 11/15/2018 at 7:54 PM, datsunfreak said:

I thought you said no more rusty projects...   ?

I know, I know. I've technically owned this one for close to 15 years though, so couldn't really let it go without fixing what my neglect caused.  Still a lot less rot than was ok my daily when I bought it.

I have managed to strip the rest of the interior and trunk other than the passenger door where the window winder is being fickle about coming off. Should have some parts starting to roll in over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

With the interior stripped out I got a bug up my ass to start getting a look at the known rust areas. The one from my last pic above turned out to be not so bad.

MHTvXVc.jpg

The other corner on the other hand was a little less lucky.

v83W0yW.jpg

As I worked my way around the car I found that several of the paint bubbles were due to poor prep rather than actual rust spots, so that was cool.  What was less cool was finding that whoever did the last semi-resto subscribed to the jackass's guide to rust repair.

0A5FhQv.jpg

Hard to tell in the pic, but that is about 3/16s of an inch of bondo.  While that is the deepest I've found so far it is not the only area where this "repair" was made.

HtQXfYL.jpg

The rest of the left rear quarter is pretty clean other than a couple holes around the arch.

sWzq5uh.jpg

Edited by UnderControl
20 hours ago, Aibast said:

Looks like stress fractures in the window corner, if I see it right. Is this usual for Mustangs?

I think what you're seeing there is some pitting in an area where 3 panels join. No fracturing that I've seen so far.

Well, I got the driver's seat mount out and I'm thinking I should abandon the idea of getting away without doing floor pans. Not that these aren't salvageable, but good quality replacements are so cheap that it just isn't worth the effort of making patch panels.

kM7iVK8.jpg

Some more fine work from a past life.

q0D3vsQ.jpg

I was gonna pull the passenger side mount out too, but was laughing too hard and called it a night.

pIpSNWn.jpg

• Like 1

Got out to the garage for a bit last night. Started by getting my Dexter on to help keep dust localized to the work area.

qSRp69c.jpg

Got the passenger seat riser out although I didn't take any pics of that. I did however play with some lighting for a night sky effect.

Passenger.

Ey0S2nn.jpg

driver

P10Xqxo.jpg

Also got to playing around with the old HF pressure pot blaster and came to two conclusions. First being that my compressor will in fact keep up with my use of it and second being that some modification will be required to get it to actually feed worth a damn. When you can get it to feed it does the job.

LraWYV9.jpg

• Like 1
On 12/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, UnderControl said:

Finally got myself a shop duster. I love old tools, and CL on the rare occasion you find a good deal on there.

4AWTdYV.jpg

I have this same one. Works great and good output. All my gaskets weep after I put synthetic oil in it, but it runs quiet and cool ?

All of the sheet metal I've ordered has arrived so I should get around to actually doing more work.  Planning to get the engine/trans pulled some time over the next week or so, but before I do I got the inkling to test out some ideas.

FN1oTRi.jpg

HzGRAPi.jpg

While I'm not really a fan of exhausting over the valve covers, there isn't really a good way to route things that avoid it. There is however a lot more clearance than I would have expected and I should be able to keep a decent air gap between everything and the pipes on either side.  This is getting way way ahead of the project though, and the engine that might actually see turbos will sit  in the bay a bit differently so clearance is subject to change.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well ended up throwing out my back and haven't gotten back to the car yet. Finally went and picked up a hoist from a buddy yesterday so maybe the engine will come out this week.

In the meantime I have been working on some lighter duty projects. Chief among those being getting the bead roller setup for one man operation.

Hazard fraught atv winch. Cut off the end off the spool and ordered a Lovejoy coupler to attach it to the bead roller.

ozSPr7j.jpg

gRppPNP.jpg

Then I made myself a PBR PWM PSU.

ACHHE0q.jpg

dKCZMiw.jpg

iG0FxYu.jpg

Early in this thread I made mention of how much I like beer boxes for templates. Still do.

• Like 1

Electric conversion is pretty much required for one person operation on these and as it happens there are a million different builds out there to go off of. I picked the simplest/cheapest to work from and add my own spin to.

No schematic as such on the psu, it is a standard off the shelf chinesium 20A AC/DC switching psu feeding a similar quality pwm.

UMrnKCO.jpg

I'm using standard computer style power cords for power in and to my makeshift foot pedal.  At the moment the pedal is just a momentary switch that goes between the psu and pwm, if I find it too cumbersome to adjust speed by the dial I'll switch it out for a foot controlled potentiometer.  

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 1

Transformer blew around the corner from home, so I was without power for the first bit garaging so I turned my attention back to the car since I didn't need electric for that. All that was left to get the engine out was to drop the drive shaft, disconnect the shift linkage and undo the mounts.

MeeeeW0.jpg

6NLNHYj.jpg

c51BeoW.jpg

After getting the engine out and pondering a bit I got back to the box.

O7aEJXn.jpg

nvLIyR7.jpg

All the holes are drilled/cut, with the exception of the 4 to mount the power ports. Now just need to weld it to the motor bracket, paint it and finally mount the PSU in it.

• Like 1

Then there was an electric bead roller.

bESWuhM.jpg

KVCcB8l.jpg

Only piece of scrap I had to play with.

iBpmljr.jpg

Powered right through the existing bends, and based on previous tests it should do all that I need of it. I haven't yet added any additional bracing, but based on my tests I'm not sure it will be needed for my purposes. If I find flex is a problem I'll add bracing later.

• Like 3