Fisch's 1970 510 wagon- Mr Clean (Art & De-Smog Manifold!)

fisch

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Oh yeah we are working on it! Seems like I buy a Datsun, then it takes a year before I start working on them, lol.

I've been dreading finishing up the headliner. But I only needed to finish it from the front seat to windshield. I watched a lot of video and how too, and realized, as an artist, this isn't much different than me stretching a canvas to paint on. I bought the Permatex Headliner spray rather than the contact cement. Sprayed it on the fabric and flange, let it dry for 5-min and then a-clipped the heck out of it! Reworking it if I got sags.Now to figure out the windshield install.

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

Thankfully the PO saved the A and B pillar fabric, and a big swatch of the new headliner material. I was able to make a pattern. When you folks do this, do you replace the foam?

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

And I thought you might appreciate this score. Gotta keep it clean for Mr Clean. NOS Dash pad.

IMG_5161.jpg

• Like 7

I need to get on the wagons suspension soon. I think the springs might be longer than stock, but how much if anything does this have to do with teh fact that the T/C rods and Sway bar are not installed yet? I've never built a suspension, would that jack up the car because the strut springs are not held in place and are fully extended?

SO I picked up these really unusual 13X6 ESAP Monte Carlo wheels as part of a Datsun horde. I was curious what they'd look like on the goon. I really like 13" wheels, and these have bitchen BF Goodrich radial T/A 50s on them, so I thought I'd bolt them up. for giggles. One tire is shot, so finding a 13" white letter T/A 50 should be fun...

IMG_3950.jpg

Now, Mr Clean is getting nose bleeds he is so high. So it looks kinda silly here.

IMG_4840.jpg

But when I give him a quick photochop... pretty neat.

IMG_4840Slammed.jpg

But I also picked up these US Trans AM (libre) in 14x5.5. But I want to polish the lips, not have them powder coated black all the way.

IMG_3958.jpg

• Like 8

Those are really sweet, they look good with the radial t/a's

And am I wrong to say Libres are pretty rare in 14s?

Thanks! I don't know if the 14 Libre's are rare? There is a set on ebay for $550 and the seller says one of them has the stamping mine do 'US Trans Am 14X5.5'. I wish they were 14X7 but I don't know if American Racing went there. It seems folks spend the cash on the 13X7 magnesium ones.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Barely worth reporting, but proof that I am still working on it! The rear bumper is on. And to be honest it was a PITA. The brackets were all bent up so fitting it took 5 times longer than it should have.

IMG_5884.jpg

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...

SO I am convinced the the front springs on this goon are the competition Safari/rally springs. Heck even the lower spring perch is almost an inch higher than another set of 510 struts I have. Naturally my instincts are to get rid of that shiz and go lower! But the mind wanders when it can't be on the garage, especially after seeing some sweet rally 510s lately.

Something about the black wheels and beefy tires just gives it intent. Any good suggestions on 14 rally tires? And how to I raise the rear? (Never thought I'd ask that question, lol!!!)

Especially this one: http://japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1971-datsun-1600-sss/

0-4-6.jpg

Photoshop to the rescue:

MineAsRallyWagon.jpg

And I already happen to have to blacked out libres I was about to strip the PC off the lip of and polish up. Hmmmmmm....

MineAsRallyWagonLibre.jpg

Who knows but it might be a fun solution to rock for a hot minute just to get it on the road with what I got!

I even have these sitting around.

IMG_5206_1.jpg

• Like 7

Very yes!

That's similar to where I've been going, and I think it'll kill!

T8ter do you have a thread for it? I couldn't find one. Yeah I kinda feel for looks, one should either go up or down but not stock, lol!

• Like 1

T8ter do you have a thread for it? I couldn't find one. Yeah I kinda feel for looks, one should either go up or down but not stock, lol!

It's Ruby. Ill dump an update in time. In wraps for now. But it's not raised yet. Just bigger tires that make me want another inch or two.

What the!? Scott is working on his wagon? Trying to make a push to get it running and painting a lil art on it.

Worked on the left side today. Fuel pump, coolent block connecting pipe, Alternator cleaned up and installed, and even painted a little kabuki dude on the Starter solenoid.

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6257.jpg

Having questions about the intake side. First this has a smog pump on it and a double crank pulley to run it. It has a basic smog exhaust manifold, but a non smog intake manifold. Did a '70 even come with all this smog stuff?

IMG_6264.jpg

It isn't as crazy as this one which I think came off an L18. Is there anything useable in this? The intake is attached to the exhaust manifold, would it even work with a non smog intake?

IMG_6270.jpg

I am missing hoses, I don't know how it hooks up, I may just nix it all. Especially if it wouldn't be on an 70 L16. But I do have these NOS hoses but I don't know what they are for, anyone? I will do a part# search.

IMG_6268.jpg

OK About the T-stat housing? What gives with the part sticking out that has two tiny outlets on it? (Right hand side of the housing on the head in this pic.) What is it for? Am I better of putting the simple T-stat housing I have in my hand on there? It literally has one outlet and one sensor.

IMG_6269.jpg

And finally, this engine it totally rebuilt and never run. It is actually still in assembly lube and doesn't have oil in it even. Looks factory new under the valve cover and en every hole I've peeked through. The radiator looks brand new. I open the cap and peek inside and what? I think I should probably pull it and try to clean it out. What ever it is it is dry. Kinda crusty.

IMG_6265.jpg

Hoping some Ratsun Brains can help me ponder some of this. I has been over a year I just want it on the road in the most efficient way possible. And everytime I think about modding something it is like a Domino effect. I am actually curious to drive a bone stock 510. Never have.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys. So Draker, water won't shoot out of that two spouted thing then, cause if i am understanding it is a heat controlled valve. So I can run with it not hooked up or plugged, and it will be ugly, but not a sprinkler, lol. Which is a tough call, because I've been through HELL with tstat housing bolts in these heads, so I have to ask myself I risk breaking it for cosmetics?

Good to know the rad might be fine Hobospyder.

More and more I am thinking I will yank off all this smog stuff because it seems to me it is from different systems, and at a minimum I am running a weber, and down the road if I can land some 38 su's, that.

Now the question of trying to remove the the tubes that travel along the top and go into the exhaust manifold. I've heard those bolts won't be friendly, which leaves a hacksaw and brass plugs tapped in if it goes wrong. Or I just leave it there and plug it off somehow, again, ugly, but less potential headache.

IMG_6266.jpg

• Like 1