Fisch's 1970 510 wagon- Mr Clean (Art & De-Smog Manifold!)

fisch

I like the wheels on the wagon myself.

They are growing on me more and more. I think with a little altitude adjustment I could rock them happily for a while. I also like a little rake in a car's stance. Which is kryptonite to most people these days, lol.

• Like 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Not much of an update, as my 4-door is getting all the attention with idle issues... and I know I said I wouldn't mess with wheels till everything else was taken care of, but I did manage to grab a set of stock hubcaps off Ebay for $75. Mr clean is so close to being 100% stock, that I am thinking about going the sleeper route. What I'd love are some banded 13" steelies so like 13X8 on the rear. I know a guy who has 4 13X8 and even 2 13X9 steelies. But it'd be  a drive to get them and 13X8 upfront is a tough thing to make happen without hitting the strut. But lowered on banded steelies with stock hubcaps would be rad.

But I've also found a set of NOS chrome reverse 13 wheels that I could buy. But they are 13X5.5.  They are 'reverse' rather than 'smoothie' Which traditionally means they should appear to be wider and have more lip than non reverse 13X5.5. I could probably still run the hubcaps on them, but there'd only be a lip of chrome showing from the wheels.

01717_4K1ECJalpiB_600x450.jpg

00101_hzHxXBcBQ5n_600x450.jpg

00D0D_72z8e9sjJmH_600x450.jpg

Just thinking out loud.  Oh and I also grabbed a weber 32/36 to go on the offy manifold I've been hording. To keep the stock appearance I could get the weber adapter than lets me run the stock air cleaner.  But my weber is a vintage made in Spain one that came with the finned/ribbed 4 screw air filter cover. Pretty sexy.

hubcaps.jpg

• Like 1

I had never heard of banded steel wheels before, so I just went and looked it up. Turns out it is exactly an idea I have been considering but wasn't sure how to go about achieving. I've been wanting some deep dish steelies for a while now, so thanks fisch for pointing me in the direction I needed.

Just on case anyone else wants some info on them, here's the link to the info I read.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/38107/banded-steels-101

I had never heard of banded steel wheels before, so I just went and looked it up. Turns out it is exactly an idea I have been considering but wasn't sure how to go about achieving. I've been wanting some deep dish steelies for a while now, so thanks fisch for pointing me in the direction I needed.

Just on case anyone else wants some info on them, here's the link to the info I read.http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/38107/banded-steels-101

You are welcome, and it is amazing how good they can look, even on a modern VW.

Last time I looked into banded rims, it was "illegal"....for whatever that's worth.  I bring it up only to say...you might want to check into it a bit in your state.  I imagine it would only be an issue in a state with inspections.

Last time I looked into banded rims, it was "illegal"....for whatever that's worth.  I bring it up only to say...you might want to check into it a bit in your state.  I imagine it would only be an issue in a state with inspections.

Indeed. Especially is there is an obvious welded wheel seam. Hubcaps to the rescue! Or a quick wheel swap before heading to the inspection station.

I wonder if there is a source for 4x114.3 13X7 or 13X8 NON FWD new steel wheels out there. Maybe Stockton wheel could do it. http://www.stocktonwheel.com/powder_coat.html

• Like 1

If you are interested, I would trade the 14s that came on my 1200 with tires for some art work, if you would pay the shipping? They are pretty nice wheels that were originally for a Z, I just wanted 15s and a lower profile tire. I just checked out this thread for the first time, Nice Long Roof!

If you are interested, I would trade the 14s that came on my 1200 with tires for some art work, if you would pay the shipping? They are pretty nice wheels that were originally for a Z, I just wanted 15s and a lower profile tire. I just checked out this thread for the first time, Nice Long Roof!

That is tempting Goes2Fast! At the moment I am really hoping to get 13's so I can use these hubcaps.

That is tempting Goes2Fast! At the moment I am really hoping to get 13's so I can use these hubcaps.

These are not steel wheels, they are aluminum after market, take a look at my 1200 thread, they are the wheels that were on it when I bought it.

These are not steel wheels, they are aluminum after market, take a look at my 1200 thread, they are the wheels that were on it when I bought it.

Shoot me a link to your thread! I've searched everyway I know how and couldn't find it.

Shoot me a link to your thread! I've searched everyway I know how and couldn't find it.

I guess since it has been a long time since I've done anything to my dattos, my threads have dissappeared? I'll figure out something or email some pics to you.

• 7 months later...

Still just as it was, but I've been collecting parts to get him back together, and I just about have it all. Now I just need the time, lol!

Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

I love this wagon Fisch! Great condition, detailed engine bay, custom valve cover.........and its in New England??? ha ha

Dattos have to be as rare there as they are here in Pennsylvania. Last time I saw one (besides mine) was a good four or five years ago.

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I've been looking into running hub caps again on my car. Apparently (and I say apparently!) the hub caps will go onto those basset or diamond racing wheels you can order from Summit. Getting these would be a lot cheaper than getting stock wheels widened properly. I've also heard corvair steelies are 13x6 and they work with the hub caps.

I would have ordered the steelies from summit but there's no info out there if they would clear my 200sx calipers.

Heres a pic for content sake (no calipers installed lol)

IMG_4544_zpsa86fbf65.jpg

• Like 2