Fisch's 1970 510 wagon- Mr Clean (Art & De-Smog Manifold!)

fisch

So this just happened. It is like a Revelle model kit we had as kids in that it looks pretty out of the box but there is some assembly required. I haven't gone through the inventory in the back, but it looks like it is mostly there.

Plans are to get it running. Keep it stock. But maybe some ZX struts and dropblocks. And source some JDM wheels.

I am sure I will be needing help figuring out what plugs into what and what connects where? Cause you know I am more visual than mechanical. But I know you cats can get me through anything.

IMG_1532.jpg

What’s been done:
-Painted it- says it isn’t perfect Couple drips, some chips, but damn it looks pretty good.
-New rubber in many places
-All new Emblems
-New tail lights.
-Mostly restored front suspension including color matched strut springs. (Stock I believe)
-Totally rebuilt engine, zero miles, (never started) polished and detailed. Stock L16, stock carb, stock dizzy, new coil.
-Stock redone struts. No ZX swap yet.

What needs to be done as far as I know:

- A biggy is the headliner needs to be finished. It is half way in, but the windshield is out so it can be finished. I might farm this out, as I hear it can be a pain to do them. Hell it is half way done, how much could it cost to have someone finish it off?

-The brakes need to be hooked back up, he has hard lines. But may be too pitted. I will need softlines. I think the brakes are stock.
- Brake M/C needs rebuild or replace.
- Engine needs to be finished hooking up and has not been started since rebuild.

- Carb hooked back up (stockright now)
- Need to install starter (he has it)
-Windshield needs reinstall after headliner, but it is there.
-No carpet, but that is easy enough.
-I need a bottom seat cover for the driver seat. The rest of the interior looks great. One dash crack.
-Gastank needs to be put back in. But it looks brand new. Probably need new filler hose.

- Rradiator hoses needed.
-Bumpers need reinstalled.

-Muffler there but dangling and not hooked up

What-cha guys think? Think the front wheels could be any skinnier? And though some work went into restoring the stock struts I think a ZX altitude adjustment and drop blocks may be in order.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told almost every nut and bolt under the hood is new. He wetsanded the engine bay. Nice.

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Not Rust, just dirt on that frame rail.

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

And here is a shot of the goodies in the back. Suppose to be some new rubber back there.

IMG_1557.jpg

• Like 10

That's so awesome Scott!!!!!!!!  I'm really happy to see you got a wagon!!  :)

Thanks guys! I love my LZ22 510, but was wanting something more utiltarian, but still sexy, and a bit more... civilized for the ladies in the house. Even the wife is excited about this wagon. My 4-door.... not so much.

Now I just need Mike to fly out here and put it together for me!!! :w00t:

• Like 2

What-cha guys think. 15x? Some meat back there.

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Look at these skinnies! If only I were going gasser. Heck it is almost high-up enough. But no.

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

Other randomness

Alternator... lol but it is just a shell. But I think maybe the guts for it might be in the parts box. Hopefully won't be too hard to reassemble.

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Hmmm gonna need to go to wire diagram school...

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

I will have to look up if this is the right Number.

IMG_1571.jpg

• Like 2

Cant believe its not running already and why is it out in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is in better shape than I thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not in to Weds wheels but they look alright

Damn Hainz, let me catch my breath.)  :rofl:  I just got it in the driveway after midnight! And the snow made for some pretty pictures. But dude I hear you! I have to get some actual paying work done, and then find time to get moving on this. Heck I am not going to drive it with all this snow anyway!

(Plus I want to get through the DMV first. Paperwork is clear, so there should be no issues, but I still need to get it in my name. And I always cross my fingers dealing with the MA DMV.) I even have this!

Look at the date and check out those DMV fees!

1970Registration.jpg

• Like 3

Where did those rims come from? Off some rotary powered 1200 drag car?

Sweet that you have it home. I saw it on posted on Craigslist and thought it was pretty sweet rig, but I've got too many 1/2 cooked projects to buy another.

I'm glad it is in the hands of a true Datsun enthusiast.

• Like 3

Wow, super clean and a 4 X 4 too. Lol.

Looks fantastic. Great score. Glad you are home safe.

I would plan on removing those old tar pads from the floors and treat them.

Wiring is cake. You'll get there.

Can't wait to follow this one.

Think you'll make it down to SPEC510 in May?

• Like 2

Where did those rims come from? Off some rotary powered 1200 drag car?

I am betting that is exactly right Dave! What would be great is if I can find a guy with some classic JDM rims who wants to build a drag car and will trade me! (Not likely.) But if nothing else I imagine I can sell these and get some cash toward classic wheel goodness. Need some rollers in the mean time if I pull these. There is a guy with some 13X8 and 13X9 widened steelies for sale near me. Then it'd really look like a roller skate.

Spec510 would be fun David, and with a goon I'd have someplace to sleep! But I have so much to do work and travel wise between now and June, I don't think I could, even if this were ready (And I doubt it will be). I've thought about farming some of the work out, but that would take the fun and certainly, all of the wallet.

And man it is a 4x4! Is it just me or does it look higher than stock? The are 15" wheels.

The funny thing is most of you guys would have this on the road in a weekend (or two)!

Step 1: Get it in my name.

Step 2: get it running driving and stopping.

Step 3: get it lower

Step 4: wheels

Fisch,

Keep the wheels.

I see a straight tube axle and a blown VG30 in your '59's future! 

60's style JDM gasser.

Love it! But that 59 is a 6-lug if you can believe. And reverse threaded like a Mopar on one side!

• Like 1

wiring looks intacked

I think so Hainz. Some of it should be pretty obvious to hook back up. The new side markers have a different plug than stock, but I might have the old connectors I can splice in the parts box. Not a big deal once I figure out which wires come from inside the engine bay.

This seems so far to be a lot of little challenges. Something I can pickoff an evening at a time.

I have a e dizzy already. Have a Offy intake if I want to use it. Have a Holly for the Offy (unknown condition, could just go buy 32/36.) I love the look of a single side draft on a l16, so I may try to make that happen eventually. For all I know the stock carb is fine. It has already been cleaned up, but not sure if rebuilt. Or how the vacuum bits of the smog interact with it.

This looks like it has all the smog stuff, including the exhaust manifold and pump. Can I just plug the holes on the manifold? Some learning to do. I'd like to pull all that for a clean look. I actually have a set of vintage cyclone headers that would clean up the bay. Came off a 620, but it seems to me there is less to get in the way on a 510.

• Like 1