Datsun 510 front brakes and 13" wheels

char1ie

I have a 510 with stock front struts, and a pair of 280ZX struts waiting to go on. I am looking for good quality front brakes that fit under 13" wheels (13 X 7" in this case).

I have done loads of research and reading and haven't found a simple solution.

280ZX standard brakes work with some grinding.

I am looking at MG Metro Turbo calipers (you don't get them in the US but they are 4 pot AP calipers that fit under 13"s and have 3.5" mounting and 20mm disc width).

Wilwood Dynalite Narrow doesn't seem to fit easily.

Has anybody done this with a budget caliper? I reckon I can make brackets.

Thanks all,

Charlie

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Charlie, and welcome to Ratsun. I can't even begin to express an opinion on these calipers you have. I've heard that some 13" rims will clear with judicious grinding away of the zx calipers also. Perhaps asking for an opinion at... the510realm Good Good luck with this.

The 280ZX brakes do fit under a 13x7 VTO Retro 4 (Libre knock off) if you grind the "ears" off the caliper bracket. You don't need to touch the caliper itself.

The problem with the 13x7 is it has a +0 offset and is generally not considered suitable to fit under stock rear fenders. The +0 offset is close to working properly on the front, but comes with huge compromises to make them work out back.

You may hear differently from others, but it will take pulling and rolling of the fender, "tucked" excessive negative camber and stretched 155 tires to make it all work in the rear.

The 280ZX brakes do fit under a 13x7 VTO Retro 4 (Libre knock off) if you grind the "ears" off the caliper bracket. You don't need to touch the caliper itself.

The problem with the 13x7 is it has a +0 offset and is generally not considered suitable to fit under stock rear fenders. The +0 offset is close to working properly on the front, but comes with huge compromises to make them work out back.

You may hear differently from others, but it will take pulling and rolling of the fender, "tucked" excessive negative camber and stretched 155 tires to make it all work in the rear.

I am not using Libres and my offset is not 0. I'm trying to ask Ratsun members about brake fitment under 13" wheels, not if my wheels will fit ;-)

Apart from 280ZX calipers, has anybody got any real world experience of fitting four pot calipers inside 13" wheels?

Those that race 510s, do you race with the stock 280ZX caliper on the front?

Charlie

I am not using Libres and my offset is not 0. I'm trying to ask Ratsun members about brake fitment under 13" wheels, not if my wheels will fit ;-)

Apart from 280ZX calipers, has anybody got any real world experience of fitting four pot calipers inside 13" wheels?

Those that race 510s, do you race with the stock 280ZX caliper on the front?

Charlie

I believe no one over here will like Datzenmike alluded to,, have any idea on that exact choice of brakes as 99.9% of Americans have never seen a MG Metro Turbo ,,so there's that..

I also believe Dime Dave clearly stated that if you grind off the ears of the ZX caliper mounting brackets some 13"  wheels do fit.  My 70s era 13" Western Minilites included.

Or did i read something wrong on my end?

:)

Cool, thanks for the info. Cross drilled and vented rotors? Same spec as standard 280ZX discs mounting on the inside of the hub using four tabs?

I just fitted the wheel over the caliper onto the strut and it looks like it will fit with the corners ground down so I will stick with the stock callipers.

Charlie

Charlie,

4 pot calipers for 13" wheels on a budget. That is like finding a unicorn, yeti or chupacabra.

The 280ZX struts/brakes are an excellent way out on a budget. They have a 252mm vented rotor.

Design Products Racing does sell a 4 pot brake kit with 260mm vented rotors that fits most 13" wheels, but I wouldn't really consider it "budget" at $850/set.