521 Rescue

nukeday

I just realized that I somehow got it in my head that Father's Day was May 21st. I'm a dork, like to blame it on meds or something, but it was just plain stupidity. :o

Anyway, here's a local CL ad, they seem to fit just fine. I'm assuming they are 4x4 wheels, as there are only 2 caps...

"I have 4 tires & 4 stock rims off a toyota pickup ( p205/75r15) all terrain liberators tires $25 for all..."

about 1/2 an hour plus or minus and $25, seemed worth it to move up to 15" wheels. These suckers are heavy, but I got really tired of airing up all the tires every time I'd let it sit.

317_1798.jpg

317_1797.jpg

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man ur doing a freaking great job on that truck, i mean to know that there is somebody out there that would look at a rig in that condition and say "well ya i like it, im gonna fix it" when other people walk right by it kinda brings tears to my eyes lol. to know theres hope out there for all the old rigs :o

Thanks groatd. It started out sort of out of necessity but I stumbled on a F150 for really cheap, and it's been on the back burner for a bit. My dad gave it to me, so I figured what the heck. I've got a 320 here too that's in waaaay better shape, but thought I'd see how I did on this one before I tackled the 'nice' one.

Looked through the parts pdf and finally decided it was easier/cheaper and faster to try to order some stuff from http://www.nissanparts.cc/. Intake studs, nuts, washers. Carb spacer/gasket. Intake/Exhaust gasket. Float bowl gasket(s), I ordered one for the pre '68 Nikki too, as I'm not sure which one I've got.

Anyone have experience with the nissan.cc site on J13 parts?

nissanccpartsorder6_24.jpg

Edited by nukeday
added stuff

Hi Nukeday,

All the parts I sent you came off my 1966 (Early 66 single headlight). I believe they are original parts.

I found out when ordering parts from NissanParts.cc it is best to call them and verify the parts are available the online store is not up to date. My last order I received 1 of 8 items ordered.

Your truck is looking good, keep up the good work! :)

Pulled the makeshift carb setup apart and found that the carb itself may not be as bad as I thought. I just slapped it together with the old gaskets, so of course it was sucking air.

Cleaned the carb base and intake flange, and removed the old gaskets from each side of the spacer. I bought a $4 set of studs with 12mm nuts and installed them, they were too tall so I had to cut them off with a hacksaw.

317_1799.jpg

317_1800.jpg

318_1805.jpg

I cut my own gaskets by hand using a ball peen hammer and a razor blade. It took a long time to get the spacer cleaned up, I think it's Bakelite or something. After I got all the old gasket material off, I discovered that someone had previously used Indian Head (gasket shellac) on the carb. I ended up sanding out the guys fingerprints with 220 grit. :D

318_1807.jpg

I put it all back together and will let it cure before I try to fire it up. Still not sure if the front bowl gasket is going to seal. I flipped it over, and it appears to have a sort of flat side and rounded side. I might have had it installed inside out?..

318_1808.jpg

318_1809.jpg

Hahahaha...I just noticed I put the glass in upside down on the carb. It's dry, but I need to go fix that before I forget.

Can I cut my own gasket for the intake/exhaust too? The exhaust gasket material is a lot harder to work with, but I think I might have enough of the original left for a pattern. I may be able to use the ball peen method once I pull the assembly off, but I don't plan to drop the exhaust so there won't be much room to work in between the block and manifolds.

More next week, I hope.

Got it running on it's own today!

Big thanks to MKlotz70, Charlie69 and ADrummond.

The intake manifold gasket is leaking so it doesn't want to idle, and I'm getting a lot of backfiring. The carb bowl gasket works fine, it must have been in inside out. Took some pics and a video, but my SD card seems to have magically dumped everything that was on it.

Waiting for the gaskets from nissan.cc, haven't heard any negatives on the stuff I ordered yet. :)

I've gone back over the wiring, and I am going to patch in the internally regulated alternator that's on the truck. It looks pretty straight forward, I'll post pics when I get it to actually sit and idle (and hopefully, charge).

Still trying to find an intake/exhaust gasket locally and having no luck. I've been doing some research, and I think an MG gasket will work. Anyone tried this?

(From rockauto.com) The PN for the MG 1.3 & 1.8 are the same for this gasket. Additionally the Nash 1.2 & 1.5 follow the same pattern. FEL-PRO P/N MS22506B. This appears to be a very close match for the 14035-13201 Nissan gasket, but the exhaust cutouts seem too large.

rockauto_BMCstyleexhaustgasket.jpg

rockauto_FELPROMS22506B.jpg

There is another style for the Midget 1275cc listed also. BECK-ARNLEY P/N 0370205.

rockauto_BECKARNLEY0370205.jpg

J13intakeexhaust.jpg

I'm about ready to just make my own...

That's really useful information, thank you Mike.

I looked over the alternator I've got here, it's off a '78 Luv. I downloaded the Luv wiring diagrams and discovered this alternator is not internally regulated after all. Should be easy to hook it up once I make sure I don't have any stray wiring under the hood.

Got a bit distracted yesterday...I'll be cleaning, buffing, vacuuming and generally busting my butt on this one all day today...

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=13390

Man, I'm seriously afflicted.

I received a pair of intake/exhaust manifold gaskets today from victoriabritish.com. This is a specialty parts house for MGA, MGB, MGC and MG Midgets. I ordered two gaskets, one from the Midget catalog, PN 1-731, and one from the MGB catalog 1-729. Item 18 in the link.

I plan to order a FEL-PRO P/N MS22506B from the local Napa and see how close it is to this victoriabritish gasket.

It appears that the 1-729 item is the correct gasket, and the Fel-Pro item may be as well. On visual (external) inspection, the length of the gasket, location of the cutouts, and bolt hole spacing is a match for the J series engine. It appears this will work on the E1 I have here, too.

I have to remove my intake/exhaust and check the ports agains the gasket, but this is looking pretty good. I have not received any communication from nissan.cc regarding my order there. I'm contemplating holding onto this MG gasket until those parts arrive, or I get a Fel-Pro gasket to compare it to, whichever comes first.

oh I prove my siggy all the time.......just not everytime! :) Better to be lucky than good.....if you're lucky, they won't expect a repeat! I get lucky :)

Like with lowering my wgn....I read the instructions....had I taken one measurement, I could have saved myself nearly $20 by buying just the u-bolts and no blocks....oh well. I've got an extra set of blocks now :(

The water temp sender is intalled (thanks Charlie69!), just not hooked up. I still have a bolt stuck in the oil pressure sender hole.

I put the MG exhaust gasket in today, and removed the valve cover. The cork gasket was installed with RTV between the gasket and the cover, I found the cork gasket was actually broken in the rear. The RTV was supposed to seal it up but it wasn't doing the job. Since I've had rotten luck finding gaskets, I went ahead and put a very small 1/8" bead on the bottom side, between the gasket and the head. I cleaned everything up with brake-kleen first, and followed the directions. Seems to work pretty well.

The MG gasket was a direct fit, I'm not sure what gasket was in it, but it doesn't look like it was quite right. The intake holes were really small compared to the intake itself. Anyway, I only had to clean a little in order to get it in. The old one was blown out at the front intake runner, buckled between the intake and exhaust, and actually broken as well. I made a stencil, as Mike suggested, and realized afterward that I should have used a piece of cardboard.

322_2201.jpg

322_2202.jpg

322_2203.jpg

I went to work on the brake and clutch master cylinders, wired in the alternator, and attempted to install my 'new' light switch. Anyone have a 6 prong light switch? This one isn't quite right...lol...

322_2208.jpg

322_2207.jpg

322_2209.jpg

Finally, a couple of attempts at video with it running, one is with a bit of choke, the other at idle. It's set pretty high, but I'll keep messing with it.

th_322_2211.jpg

th_322_2212.jpg

th_322_2213.jpg

Thanks for checking in... :cool:

Thanks Motavated, it's still sort of slapped together, but it does run pretty well.

Charlie69, yes that is the carb you sent and the radiator and the temp sender.

(In a beyond 'cool' move, Charlie sent these parts to me gratis. I would not be remotely close to where I am without his help/parts.)

MikeK got me sorted out on the points and a bunch of other stuff, and is still adding sage advice.

ADrummond more or less 'gave' me a lot of valuable parts for next to nothing.

I hope to start sorting out the hydraulics next week. :D

I received a pair of intake/exhaust manifold gaskets today from victoriabritish.com. This is a specialty parts house for MGA, MGB, MGC and MG Midgets. I ordered two gaskets, one from the Midget catalog, PN 1-731, and one from the MGB catalog 1-729. Item 18 in the link.

I plan to order a FEL-PRO P/N MS22506B from the local Napa and see how close it is to this victoriabritish gasket.

It appears that the 1-729 item is the correct gasket, and the Fel-Pro item may be as well. On visual (external) inspection, the length of the gasket, location of the cutouts, and bolt hole spacing is a match for the J series engine. It appears this will work on the E1 I have here, too.

I have to remove my intake/exhaust and check the ports agains the gasket, but this is looking pretty good. I have not received any communication from nissan.cc regarding my order there. I'm contemplating holding onto this MG gasket until those parts arrive, or I get a Fel-Pro gasket to compare it to, whichever comes first.

This is good info

Did you get the Fel-pro gasket fitted yet?

I knew there was sort of an 'unlisted' salvage yard nearby, and had heard that it had lots of trucks. Well, it does. I think there were at least 4 521's, 4 620's, a bunch of 720's and even a really complete 520.

Here's some photos

Needed a blower motor for my F-150 and thought I'd check out the datto stuff. Here's what I ended up hauling home.

322_2217.jpg

322_2218.jpg

322_2219.jpg

322_2221.jpg

322_2220.jpg

I pulled several radios, one I was hoping to put in the B210, a Toyota AM/FM that had already been pulled, and a 'Solid State' AM only out of a 521.

The top radio is the AM only unit. I turned it over and found that it has an option to switch between pos or neg ground. It works fine, I started to put it in the B210 because it's the only faceplate that will fit without cutting things up. I got tired of Hispanic radio, and decided not to put it in after all. I'm thinking it will end up in the 320 unless someone REALLY wants it.

322_2222.jpg

322_2225.jpg

322_2226.jpg

I pulled the accelerator cable off the 520 and was stoked to try it out on mine. The ferrule is too small on the 521, the cable is the right length, but I can't fasten it to the firewall. The alternator that was in the 520 is a later model Mitsubishi, and I pulled it and all wiring back to the harness. Got an oil sender from the J13 also.

In the first photo, the door seals are some random pinch on type that were in the 520 in the yard. They aren't correct, but they pulled right off, so I took 'em. The 70's F-150 tail lights will probably go on the 521, I plan to just cut a bit of sheetmetal and put them in place of the originals.

There is one nice set of tail lights at this yard, but I couldn't get them off. I also couldn't get even one shifter out any of the 521's out. There is a slotted screw in the top hole, and I didn't bring my impact driver. I don't need the shifter, I need the bolt/screw, you'll see I did get the bottom one in one of the pics above.

Didn't really get much done, just more collecting. :D