521 Rescue

nukeday

Here is the 521 at my house:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/Dadsun%20Trucks/521/

Needs a hood for sure, carb, alt, floor board patch, rear window, ignition switch. I have a guage cluster for it. The shifter is in one of the two tubs dad and I put together from all the parts that were in these two trucks. I ordered a Chilton's for it today.

What else do you folks see missing?

What series engine? Is it a 'J'?

280_8016.jpg

I have a radiator for it in the garage. I think it's the right one, but it might be for a 320. I'll add photos of that in a bit.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have two radiators. One has a taller top tank and no provision for an overflow. The neck is also longer. Which one goes in the 521?

280_8027.jpg

280_8030.jpg

280_8028.jpg

280_8029.jpg

Will 510 Sheetmetal fit on the 521? There's a local guy with LOTS of 4 dr / wagon parts. It looks like the wagon he has is the same color as the 521. If the hood will fit, I should go get it...

http://eugene.craigslist.org/pts/855222114.html

The VIN plate is covered in mud and rust. There are some numbers at the bottom that are stamped and I can just make out, I'll have to double check but they seem to match the last 5 numbers on the title. Looks to me like the title just says PL521 and then a series number 3, and a body number 76XXX in this case?

Crusty is right, that's why dad moved these trucks inland from the coast. You should see the frame, it looks like the bottom side of a pier, only thing missing is the barnacles...

The VIN plate is covered in mud and rust. There are some numbers at the bottom that are stamped and I can just make out.

Yeah, I just took a closer look. That VIN plate is trashed, but maybe, just maybe with a little cleaning and with the right light you can make out the engine stamping.

Crusty is right, that's why dad moved these trucks inland from the coast. You should see the frame, it looks like the bottom side of a pier, only thing missing is the barnacles...

LOL! Knowing it was exposed to the coastal air explains a lot. Of course, a lot of that is just surface rust. Looks bad, but should come off. Hopefully, minimal cancer.

I don't see an alternator or carb or pulley's (although there's one by the firewall). You got a box of parts?

Thanks everyone. So far I need to look in the parts boxes for:

-fuse block

-VR (I think I saw one)

-Pulleys

I know these items are not in the parts tubs:

+carb

+alternator

Also, I now know the short neck rad goes in this truck.

I think I've got a 2bbl Hitachi carb off a Luv here. The Luv is a 1.8, but it looks like it might bolt on to the Datsun intake. Too much carb, I know, but I might be able to jet it back. I hate the Hitachi, but it's here and it's free and it came off a running truck....

If I hit the yard, what other Datsun/Nissan Alternator would work on this thing?

As you can see, the coil is rusted pretty badly. Is there a ballast in the circuit? I'm downloading manuals and such from the620 now...

If I hit the yard, what other Datsun/Nissan Alternator would work on this thing?

As you can see, the coil is rusted pretty badly. Is there a ballast in the circuit? I'm downloading manuals and such from the620 now...

The manuals will answer a lot of questions.

As for alternator, someone just put a GM alt on their J-motor:

Installing GM alt on J-series motor

You could go that route or, since you're running in Econo Mode, grab a Saturn alt or one off any L-motor in the j/y. The process will all be the same.

• 4 months later...

Well, I rolled the 320 out of it's spot in the drive and rolled this thing in. I pulled the hubcaps and soaked all the lugs in PB Blaster, also the door hinges, what's left of the hood hinges and several fasteners that will eventually need to come off to repair stuff.

296_9656.jpg

It's not really as bad as I first thought. It's pretty crusty and rusty, and will need some time to put it on the road, but it might have a few more loads left in it.

I have a Hitachi alternator off a Luv 1.8, and after sort of test fitting it, I think it will work fine. Somewhere around here, I think I've also got a Luv Hitachi 2bbl. I can't seem to find it, so maybe I gave it away.

296_9667.jpg

I think I have a fuse block that will work too. I'll need to get a voltage regulator, and probably a coil. I have a 4 pole ignition switch out of a boat that should work to try to get it started.

296_9669.jpg

I'm a bit confused by the brake and clutch wiring, is there a plunger on the brake pedal? I don't see one, but there is one on the clutch pedal. Weird.

296_9664.jpg

The kingpins are fried, the tires show pretty serious wear on the insides. Is there a kit for this out there?

296_9673.jpg

Gonna' need a bit of sheetmetal, particularly a hood, possibly hood hinges and a tailgate. If I can get the coin together, I hope to pick up all the misc. bits from Andrew, and the sheetmetal from tdaaj.

Here's a link to the album of pics I took today.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/Dadsun Trucks/521/2_3_2009/

Mostly just inventorying and planning at this point. The good things are that the engine turns over by hand, the clutch seems to work (we had to get it out of gear to move it), and it rolls without dragging any wheels. I think that's it for the good things tho'...:rolleyes:

Did a bit more today. Sort of like that kid in 'Christine', putting new wipers on a broken windshield. I guess that's what happens when you've got time and no money...lol.

I was curious what the paint might look like, so I power-balled the passenger side. It looks a little better. Did a little work on the inside doors too.

297_9703.jpg

I vacuumed up most of the crap in the front floors to find that someone has already replaced the driver's side floorboard. It looks like they used 1/2" thick plate! It's massive!

296_9684.jpg

296_9683.jpg

I also found that '79-'92 Saab 900 window cranks fit right on the stubs in this truck. Who'da thunk?

296_9697.jpg

Nothing too exciting. I did talk to ADrummond, and hope to secure several small bits that will help with reassembly. Also hoping to pick up a hood this week.

Took a bunch of pics, here's the link:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/Dadsun Trucks/521/2_4_2009/

I don't want to make a blog out of this, so feel free to hit the link for pics.

Looks like I'll put off the kingpin thing until I can actually make it stop, start and drive. :)

Well, being out of work has some advantages I guess. I've been able to put in a lot of time messing with this truck...:D

I pulled each wheel today, and PB Blasted the lug holes and drums. Whoever had the wheels off last had enough foresight to put anti-sieze on the lugs. The rims came off easily.

I didn't back off the adjusters, but I did bang on each drum several times and coated the centers and lugs profusely with PB. The driver rear drum pleasantly fell off on the second tap with the dead blow. Of course the other 3 are stuck.

When I had the wheels off the front, I found the upper dogbone bushings were pretty much non-existant. I was so happy to find this, that I had to investigate my severe toe-in further. Well, as expected, the kingpin lower 'bushings' are shot. The driver's side is so bad the washer things are torn and slipping out. The passenger side might actually be OK with just A-arm bushings.

Got in touch with ADrummond and made the 2 hour trek up north to buy some of his 521 parts. It's safe to say I got about 5 times more than I paid for. Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate your generosity! The back of the Saab is full up to the top of the back seat and it's dark so I've no idea what I've actually got. The box of just electrical parts alone had me convinced that it was worth the drive.

I now have a back window, still conveniently wrapped in it's gasket and a portion of the cab...! Also a front bumper, and Andrew dug up a blower motor and cage too, it wasn't in the boxes of stuff he had ready, but he went and got it anyway. Really, really awesome!

297_9716.jpg

297_9717.jpg

I also got in touch with 'what', and he and I missed each other by about an hour. I hope to pick up his hood tomorrow or Saturday. He's also got an extra back window for me.

I'll post pics of the 'new' stuff as I get it inventoried and sorted. I expected maybe two small boxes and came home with about 5 medium sized boxes, a back window, bumper and a blower fan. Wow. Now I've got no excuses to start putting it all together...

Edited by nukeday

All of this came out of the back of the Saab. In case you're curious, a 4 door Saab 900 has a fold down rear seat, sort of like a station wagon. Originally I didn't lay it down, but as we continued to load stuff, it was obvious it wasn't all going to fit unless I did.

297_9736.jpg

Have some family obligations today, so not much more work done. You can see each box of stuff here:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/Dadsun%20Trucks/521/2_6_2009/

Glad to hear your getting the hood. Nice score on all the parts too. They should help a lot.

Thanks for the hand off on the hood Jester, I hope to pick it up tomorrow. I honestly had no way to move it until I emptied out the Saab.

I put a ton of PB Blaster on the 4 hood to hinge bolts for several days and was thrilled when they all came loose without breaking off a head. I got them all loose yesterday, I figured it was probably a good idea before I committed to changing the hood. Hopefully be able to pick it up and have it on tomorrow sometime, maybe get a rear window installed also.

I am humbled, and thrilled by the amount of 'new' parts I've got to work with. Most of the boxes are already labelled, so that helps too. Looking forward to giving some of this stuff one more go round on the road.

Multiple issues in this post, lots of photos.

Item #1: I discovered today that this truck leaks water inside. Obviously the missing back window could be part of it, but I don't think so. I've taken a couple of photos of what I found.

297_9748.jpg

297_9749.jpg

No sense working on the floors until I sort this out. I do hope to have the truck inside for the floor work, but these leaks still need to be addressed. So some questions:

1. Where is the most common leak area in a 521? It looks like the wiper shafts?

2. Anyone have a windshield and gasket?

297_9754.jpg

297_9755.jpg

297_9756.jpg

297_9757.jpg

The gasket is crunchy and the driver side bottom is especially full of junk. There is a crack in the windshield directly in front of the driver's line of sight, I'll need a new one regardless.

Item #2: Can someone post a photo of the fuse block and wiring on a 521? It looks like that is the bit that got hacked here. I've got a fuse block now, but it looks like there's a bit of work involved in hooking it up. :(

297_9752.jpg

Item #3: I'm preparing to reinstall the rear glass, but I'm curious if I need to clean or prep the gasket flange? Do I need any sort of sealant? I had intended to just soap this thing up and put it in.

297_9750.jpg

297_9751.jpg

Item #4: I'm going to need better/different tail lights. The wiring is a mess in back, and the sockets for the rear lamps are all missing. There is a '521' tail light set on ebay, but it looks much shorter than these. Anyone have a set of these?

297_9758.jpg

297_9759.jpg

Thanks for checking in, appreciate your comments!

Here's the hood and rear window I picked up from 'what'. Thanks!

297_9760.jpg

297_9761.jpg

I'm no where near as talented as Fisch (who is?), but I decided to 'rat & sun' this hood. Here's the stencil for the ratsun logo... I'll add the sun later, my idea is pretty similar to the fronts on the ratsun shirts.

297_9762.jpg

Enthusiasm? lol...thanks datto510. It's a combination of boredom, a crappy personal economic situation and trying to make the best of what I've got on hand. This truck is a pile compared to 'Sushi'.

I'd like to at least see it live once more though, so I figure I'll try to use what little skill I've got and see if I can apply myself enough to actually put this thing together...

Enthusiasm? lol...thanks datto510. It's a combination of boredom, a crappy personal economic situation and trying to make the best of what I've got on hand. This truck is a pile compared to 'Sushi'.

I'd like to at least see it live once more though, so I figure I'll try to use what little skill I've got and see if I can apply myself enough to actually put this thing together...

Ha! "Sushi" still has her share of quirks! Its a learning process, I don't know your background but personally, I learned a ton while building up this little truck. Lots of fun too. I hope you keep your steam up long enough to save that little truck! You are gonna love driving it!

Yesterday I was sitting at a stoplight in Seattle, some guy jumps out of his car and ran up to my window and was begging me to sell him my truck!:blink:

Really appreciate both items, hope to have the hood painted and on tomorrow. I'm looking into ways to reattach the inner frame to the skin, but I may not actually do it and try to transfer my hood skin to this frame.

'what's' truck is really sharp! The interior about had me in tears it's so nice. Lot's of custom bits all over the truck, weber, L16, and on and on. There's a hint of 70's full size Chevy in the trim and paint scheme and the truck looks like a million bucks going down the road.

I'm itching to spray that rat on the hood, but it's just too cold to expect it to turn out. I've only got the deck or the garage floor to do it on, so it will just have to wait.

I think mine will run, drive and stop, but I don't ever see it being 'nice'. The parts were really great, but seeing what's truck was inspirational. :D

About ready to go to bed and thought I'd give the back window a try. It was slow, but not really that difficult. I think it would have been harder had it still been in the truck. I searched the internet on how to do this without tearing up the gasket and finally just 'reverse engineered' the whole thing.

In this case, the first thing I did was drag it in from the garage and set it right on a heater vent. My thinking was that the rubber would be a bit softer and not tear so easily.

I used an old credit card, a small stick of wood, a crayon, a 6" pencil, and some dish soap to get it out. I removed it from the 'inside' side, pushing it out when it came loose.

I worked the credit card between the glass and the gasket, and then between the sheetmetal and the gasket all the way around, inside and outside. Twice. Then I put some liquid dish soap on the seam between the gasket and the sheetmetal and ran the card around the seam again.

When I'd softened up the top corner a bit, I used the credit card long ways, about an inch from the corner and forced the crayon down behind it. This pulled the lip up and kept it up (the reverse idea of using a rope to install it). Then I did the same thing on the other side of the corner, this time I used a bit longer pencil. Once they were both nicely wedged in, I pushed on the corner of the glass. Ran the credit card around the outside again, pushed again, and finally got it to come down about 1/2 an inch. I then just pushed the crayon along the seam to fold the gasket up. When I couldn't go any further, I repeated the process on the opposite top corner.

If it were still in the truck, I think this method would work. Just need to make sure you either duct tape the outside, or have a helper hold it so the glass doesn't fall out.

Light pressure, a bit of thinking, and some time is all it took. I'm done messing with Datsun's for tonight though. :) Overall, a pretty good Saturday.

297_9765.jpg

I detailed cars in college, so my best car skills are pretty 'surface-y' sorts of things. I like making junky stuff look not so junky. For whatever that's worth. My wife says 'you can't polish a turd...', and so does my mom, and even my dad. Lol...

I pulled the three wheels that have stuck drums and banged and PB Blasted everything again. Hit one drum at an angle and busted my deadblow hammer, a big ole chunk just came flying off. Yay, China! This time I squirted the adjusters, too. I was able to back one of the front one's off a bit, but no joy on the rears.

I dug through the box I have labeled 'Wiring' and found 4 cab harnesses in various states of 'modification'. Actually they are all surprisingly in pretty good shape. I was hunting for the stalk with the fuse box bundle on it. I found at least two, but the harnesses are so complete I can't bring myself to hack off the little piece I need. I think, there is enough random factory wiring in the box to salvage the correct colors and fab up the section I need.

So no real work today, mostly tinkering and fun. Here's a little 'Trading Spaces' reveal sequence...

Todd_090208_truckstensilbefore.jpg

Todd_090208_truckstensilcomesoff.jpg

Todd_090208_truckstensil.jpg

My son and I had to put on our 'Pirate Face' for this last one...a future Ratsuner??? As long as I can keep him away from Honda's I'll be happy...:mellow:

Todd_090208_elitruckstensil.jpg