question for, Electronic Ignition upgrade

Izzy

What 'regulator'??? Voltage regulator???

It has crimped on spade connectors so? can't say for sure what if anything has been altered or not or if wire colors have been changed too. I don't see the ballast resistor near the coil...

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

What 'regulator'??? Voltage regulator???

It has crimped on spade connectors so? can't say for sure what if anything has been altered or not or if wire colors have been changed too. I don't see the ballast resistor near the coil...

Yea I seem to be missing a ballast resistor and I’m not familiar with those but the green and yellow wire I guess I doesn’t really matter right now just wondering If I need that ballast since all the pictures I see of 521s seem to have one. The positive on the coil had to wires one was hooked to it and the other was just hanging front there. It was a small wire though about 3 inches long since it wasn’t hooked up I deleted it

• Like 1

points run a about 1.6 ohm stock coil and a 1.6 ohm ballast resitor

otherwise your pints fry up and starts sputtering usually pretty fast.

usualy the 521 has 2 wires at the coil. one is the hotstart()start key switch) and the other goes thru a ballast when the key is back to ON

this is a simple hook up with you have a diagram

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
On 7/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

points run a about 1.6 ohm stock coil and a 1.6 ohm ballast resitor

otherwise your pints fry up and starts sputtering usually pretty fast.

usualy the 521 has 2 wires at the coil. one is the hotstart()start key switch) and the other goes thru a ballast when the key is back to ON

this is a simple hook up with you have a diagram

Ok so if I want to get the pertornix point delete do I still need a ballast resistor ?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Zonargx said:

Ok so if I want to get the pertornix point delete do I still need a ballast resistor ?

Yes.... it's not like a matchbox distributor upgrade, the pertronix just gets rid of the points adjustment.... everything I even read said keep the ballist resistor....

• Like 4

So my pertronix and a ballast resistor have been order. Today I took a look under my hood to see how I was gonna wires up my ballast and notice this two wires tucked in the wiring harness and they follow the wire that goes to the positive on the coil I’m wondering if this went on the ballast. fVfOQvT.jpg

• Like 1

It is not a sensor, it is just a a switch. 

Stock 521 trucks had a dual point distributor that had one set of points retarded 10 crankshaft degrees, that was only used in third gear, part throttle, but not when the throttle was completely closed.  The firewall gas pedal switch just let the system know the throttle is completely closed.

If your 521 has had the carburetor changed, or a transmission swap, or a matchbox distributor, the system is non functional now.

• Like 2

@DanielC I’m new to datsuns so it’s nice to know this stuff. My truck must had a single points dizzy installed and the ballast removed also it does take it a bit more than normal carbureted cars to start. If I’m correct my pertronix and ballast will be here on Friday and I’m looking Foward’s to installing and seeing if it makes a change plus I just really wanted to get rid of the points and get a better spark.

• Like 1

Here a wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

Two wires feed power to the ignition system.   There is a black with a white stripe wire, that comes from the ignition key, goes to the fuse box, and then out to the ballast resistor, when the key in in the run position.  The ballast resistor feed current to the ignition coil, and the distributor them grounds the coil.   When the points in the distributor open, or break the ground connection to the coil, the coil fires.  

The second wire feeding power to the ignition system is black with a red stripe.   This wire comes from the ignition switch when the key is in the start position.  This wire feed current directly to the coil, bypassing the ballast resistor.  This provides a stronger spark when cranking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Zonargx said:

@DanielC I’m new to datsuns so it’s nice to know this stuff. My truck must had a single points dizzy installed and the ballast removed also it does take it a bit more than normal carbureted cars to start. If I’m correct my pertronix and ballast will be here on Friday and I’m looking Foward’s to installing and seeing if it makes a change plus I just really wanted to get rid of the points and get a better spark.

What do you mean, it takes a bit more? It's quite common for carbureted cars/trucks to have hot start issues. Being that you're in LA, could the starting issues be related to high temps? Sometimes you need to lean into the throttle during hot start.

Oh by the way, it's a distributor, not a dizzy. Maybe it's just me, but I hate the term dizzy. Seems like lazy English to me.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

What do you mean, it takes a bit more? It's quite common for carbureted cars/trucks to have hot start issues. Being that you're in LA, could the starting issues be related to high temps? Sometimes you need to lean into the throttle during hot start.

Oh by the way, it's a distributor, not a dizzy. Maybe it's just me, but I hate the term dizzy. Seems like lazy English to me.

I have never used that term until now I saw everyone use it. I got helped already and install my ballast as well as the pertronix. I am now waiting on my disk brake parts and brackets to arrive soon to install my disk brake conversion.

• Like 2