Duh-Lux 77 Kingcab 620

When I re did the brakes on my 86 720 KC with everything new except master and booster I had a hell of a time getting any pedal.  Finally I cracked the farthest wheel cylinder from the master (RR) I hung a make shift IV bottle of brake fluid over the master cylinder with a hose submerged in the master cylinder reservoir.  I also had the tubing from the wheel cylinder submerged in a coke bottle so no chance of sucking air.  I went to bed and when I got up the next morning I closed the bleeder and moved to the left rear and repeated the process.  About 10 hours later I switched to the right front and did it all over again.   About 10 hours later I switched to the left front and did it again.  Each time I switched positions I topped off my IV bottle with brake fluid.  I used just under 2 quarts of fluid but I had pedal finally.  Needless to say it was a bitch.  I still have the new master cylinder I purchased in case it did not bleed.

I cannot explain why this happened just how I got through it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is getting to be a pain. Swapped in a new master, bench bled it first. still no pedal. Bled a whole quart thru the system. Still no pedal.

Swapped out the booster for a known good one. Still no pedal but now it will stop the truck at the floor.

Bled the whole system again, this time with my wife pumping the pedal while I bled. This time I have just a hair more pedal.

I guess I'll just try bleeding the daylights out of it next.

If that doesn't work I'll try Charlie's IV method.

Brakes shouldn't be this hard.

do you have a load sensing valve on this still? 

the goofy lookin thing under the passenger side of the cab that has 3 brake lines going to it? 

with how old it is, the parts inside that probably arent working and not letting the system cycle fluid properly. 

if youre going to remove it, youll need a section of brake line in the same size, and 3 brake line unions. 

theres the line in front and out for the back that get unioned together. 

the 3rd line goes back to the front brakes. that gets removed, and the T fitting on the passenger side front brake line gets a plug put in it. you can just use another union instead of the stock T also. 

this is what ive done on my 77, and its very easy to bleed the system now.  

• Like 2