Duh-Lux 77 Kingcab 620

Picked this up a few days ago as a non runner with no keys. Had papers tho, that's a bonus. :)

L20b, U67 head, automatic trans. Bone stock besides the smog stuff being removed.

Threw a spare ignition switch in, battery, and she fired up. Ran rough tho. Put some NGK plugs in, cleaned up the cap and rotor and it ran pretty good.

Brakes are shot so I ordered some new stuff from rock auto, it on the way.

I plan to finish the brakes, make it drive able, then round up some chevy rally wheels for it and since it's pretty straight I'm going to try my hand at a paint job.

IMG_2686_zps72cef620.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, speaking of the paint situation, I am guessing proper prepping probably wasn't taken when it was rattlecanned, so get a few cans of Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner. Spray it on, then let it sit for an hour or so, then just rinse it off with a hose. i did that with a spare 620 door we had, and it ate through all the rattlecanned layers down to the original paint w/o harming it. Also it works as an AMAZING degreaser. Better than the normal degreasers I have used. Cheap way to deal with it, and if it doesn't work, ya have oven cleaner still!

Anyway, just my 0.02$

• Like 2

Oh, speaking of the paint situation, I am guessing proper prepping probably wasn't taken when it was rattlecanned, so get a few cans of Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner. Spray it on, then let it sit for an hour or so, then just rinse it off with a hose. i did that with a spare 620 door we had, and it ate through all the rattlecanned layers down to the original paint w/o harming it. Also it works as an AMAZING degreaser. Better than the normal degreasers I have used. Cheap way to deal with it, and if it doesn't work, ya have oven cleaner still!

Anyway, just my 0.02$

So, just how well does this work? I may be trying something this weekend...

• Like 2

So, just how well does this work? I may be trying something this weekend...

On a Scale of 1-10? about an 11. I sprayed it on to the paint, left it on for about 2 hours, then washed it off, and it ate through all 4 layers of previously pained (rattle canned layers), down to the original Yellow. I will try to get a pic tomorrow, or this evening and post it. we only did a small spot on the door to test, but we used it in the engine bay, and all the black and red that was done over the yellow over the years came right off. including all the grease!

also cleans oil stains on concrete pretty well.

• Like 1

So I tried the Easy Off trick spoona_jay suggested. It took the primer off in a few hours with ease but I think there is a lot less original paint under there than I thought...

IMG_2707_zps1e6757fe.jpg

That is mildly entertaining.  I also like that you have an oven in your bed, for the oven cleaner idea.

• Like 3

Im in the same boat right now, That is a tip i will have to try this week end. Better than sitting there sanding for 2 hours. How far will a can of oven cleaner go? Id think a long ways.

Cant wait to see more updates. Keep them coming :thumbup:

We used 2 cans on the entire (stripped), with about half a can leftover front end of a 620. If that gives a good idea lol
  • Like 1

Just put the brakes together with new cylinders, shoes and springs. Bled them properly with a vacuum pump and the pedal still goes straight to the floor with almost no resistance. I can hear air moving in the booster, I assume that's the issue? If I pinch the big vacuum line closed the pedal builds pressure but still doesn't acuate the brakes. Don't want to buy a booster if I don't have to. Is there a way to confirm my suspicion that the booster is bad?

• Like 1