SR20de Carburetor Conversion

iwayman

So I've been thinking about doing a carburetor conversion on my NA SR20.

tl4UjAw.jpg

I have a set on SK Racing side drafts from before I swapped to an L28et

Ow8svAr.jpg

I'm having a little trouble finding good pictures and information on how to do the swap.  From my understanding I would need to ditch the distributor and go to separate coil packs, swap to a low pressure fuel pump, and somehow wrangle up a custom sidedraft manifold.

Does anyone have any information on how to go about it?

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you have is a CAS crank angle sensor, not an actual distributor. If you can find or make a 4 cylinder distributor this would be a way to go.

Other than that yes a crank trigger EDIS?

Don't see any advantage to carbs on this.

I'd say the fad thing is to put the same cookie cutter sr20det everyone else does. Carbs sound way better, match the old skool vibe of the car, and not everybody wants a turbo. Turbos are hot, the power isn't as smooth, and are much more expensive. Besides, what's wrong with different? I have a monster turboed mgb, lots of people dog it because it's not a triumph or because it's not sbc swapped, originality is what makes it fun...showing nearly any car on the road it's tail lights doesn't hurt either. More power to iwayman, I respect different.

• Like 1

okayfine on the 510realm.com converted his NA SR to dual SU carbs a few years back. search google for 510realm whitebird and youll find it. 

im sure there was a company that made a dual side draft intake for an SR, but its probably gonna be a rare piece. more than likely gonna be building an intake to make it work. 

best of luck..

• Like 1

I'd say the fad thing is to put the same cookie cutter sr20det everyone else does. Carbs sound way better, match the old skool vibe of the car, and not everybody wants a turbo. Turbos are hot, the power isn't as smooth, and are much more expensive. Besides, what's wrong with different? I have a monster turboed mgb, lots of people dog it because it's not a triumph or because it's not sbc swapped, originality is what makes it fun...showing nearly any car on the road it's tail lights doesn't hurt either. More power to iwayman, I respect different.

Different is fun. I stuffed a 4AGE 20V Blacktop in my dad's Sunbeam. Just as much HP as the small block Ford in the Tiger, but weighs a third as much.

PA300006_zpsbb18cd71.jpg

I like the carb idea. 44mm Mikuni's with soft mounts and a nice looking air box (carbon fiber?) would definitely look different and the performance could top that of the EFI easily.

• Like 3

So I've been thinking about doing a carburetor conversion on my NA SR20.

tl4UjAw.jpg

I have a set on SK Racing side drafts from before I swapped to an L28et

I'm having a little trouble finding good pictures and information on how to do the swap.  From my understanding I would need to ditch the distributor and go to separate coil packs, swap to a low pressure fuel pump, and somehow wrangle up a custom sidedraft manifold.

Does anyone have any information on how to go about it?

Well, I understand wanting to be different and you feel carbs sound better and all that but in the end those carbs won't out perform fuel injection in my opinion. Granted you already have the carbs but I think the cost of the rest of the conversion would better be spent on cams, headwork and a good header netting you a wider grin from the right foot. Tossing the VTC (valve timing control) alone will drop HP.

Just Saying,,

I realize that carburetors can't stand up to modern ecu tuning in performance or reliability, but I love the idea of mixing the side-draft with the dohc and creating a mixture of period-correctness and modern horsepower.  A dream engine of mine has always been the TC24 setup in a 240z or kpgc10, I also absolutely love the rocky auto carbureted RB30s.

RB30S30-149.jpg

While this is my only daily right now I plan on going modern within the year so I'd like to swap to dual side-draft and a mild cam with this one and just create a fun enjoyable car that I can just play around with and take to shows and auto-X.  

I know Extrudabody used to make a manifold for around $350 to adapt mikuni style throttle bodies but their site is currently down so I'm not sure if they're even still in business.

• 11 months later...