MARVIN THE MARTIAN

Ranman72

I bought this 68 roadster a couple years ago and brought it home in pieces it sat in the garage waiting for me for a while 

a friend of mine offered to get it running for me and I agreed to trade hours for hours and repair his back deck and stairs 

the back deck ended up being totally replaced and the roadster fought my friend Dave  (who is a master nissan mechanic) the whole way through 

DAVE WON!!!!!! The car is now running and has seats and seatbelts in it I have to put the drivers door glass in it and do many other things to complete it but it will be on the road soon 

Dave did 99.9 % of the work on the car until now, Dave and I put the windshield in the other day and I brought the car home to be completed over time 

it is a lime green so the wife named it Marvin The Martian 

I tried some new rims on it the other night and I like the way it looks 

the rims are not perfect and have some dings and curb rash so they are perfect for this car 

IMG_20150126_203103585_zpsjmh0iwcr.jpg

IMG_20150126_203748293_zpsxk19ehfv.jpg

the motor I bought for it was rebuilt and has about 7000 miles on it 

IMG_20150126_203125735_zpslewnagoh.jpg

the stock steering wheel has to go I can barley get in the car with it 

IMG_20150126_203147443_zpsxo1cc694.jpg

the seats were already done and came with the car so they will stay the color they are green and creme 

IMG_20150126_203133514_zpsq2qicypd.jpg

there are a lot of things that still need to be done like exhaust , door rubber  glue in the new trunk seal , put in the role bar if I like it ,get a soft top for it etc 

IMG_20150126_205627938_zpsrgeroiyb.jpg

IMG_20150126_205644646_zpsw3tnxprm.jpg

IMG_20150126_205659889_zpsrcgzrq21.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

put the grill in last night 

IMG_20150204_212016746_zpsjm92cthl.jpg

put the gt wheel on tonight 

IMG_20150204_221833385_zps7uq0uhx8.jpg

the old wheel was to big and made it hard to get in the car 

IMG_20150204_221849257_zpsj29da4ti.jpg

also bought a MG trunk rack and modified it to fit the roadster 

I cut 3 inches or so off the back mounts and welded the tabs for mounting it flat instead of vertical on the back portion 

IMG_20150204_211914513_zpsnvtsh1xc.jpgIMG_20150204_211929804_zpseh0do7yo.jpgIMG_20150204_211940929_zpsjbqor8h8.jpgIMG_20150204_211952029_zps5ha5kod9.jpgIMG_20150204_212050242_zpsu30skhkg.jpg

• Like 3

this car is far from perfect and has its rust issues in hidden places but it will be a good driver 

I bought the car in pieces and it was mostly put together by my friend dave 

• Like 2

on the way to the pizza meet the brakes started to get more firm and resistant so back home he went and the 350z took us to the meet

the next day tried to baby it to the muffler shop  for the resonator and chrome tip 

I hardly used the brakes but the started dragging again so I pulled in a parking lot and tried to push the pedal as hard as I could to free up whatever was the problem 

well this resulted in a completely locked up right rear 

by the time I got back with the trailer to tow it it freed itself up 

si I pulled the driver rear brake line and reamed it out with a wire this seems to have fixed the brake problem 

but now I have a fuel problem so I need to look in the tank . when the shop cleaned and sealed it they also replaced the broken pick up in the tank and sealed it shut by accident when re coating the inside of the tank . we fixed this once but the problem has returned so I will look into it again 

no picks cuz I was greasy covered in fuel from draining the tank and a little irritated at marvin 

• Like 3

When I swapped 280zx brakes and 200sx master cylinder on my dime I ran into the same brake problem. Turns out the push rod that went into the master from the pedal assy was keeping a little bit of pressure on the brakes and everytime I pushed the pedal they'd drag a lil more. All I did was take some of the adjustment out of the push rod and I haven't had a problem since.

• Like 1

When I swapped 280zx brakes and 200sx master cylinder on my dime I ran into the same brake problem. Turns out the push rod that went into the master from the pedal assy was keeping a little bit of pressure on the brakes and everytime I pushed the pedal they'd drag a lil more. All I did was take some of the adjustment out of the push rod and I haven't had a problem since.

thanks 

I also had to do that but it was not the only problem, the line was also plugged 

I adjusted about 1/4 inch on the pedal to give it some slack 

• Like 1

got the fuel pump rebuild kit and installed it 

first time install was incorrect so I fixed that 

then still couldn't get fuel to the carb , I had to vacuum pull through the fuel pump to the carbs to get the fuel to the carbs , after that the fuel pump was primed and good to go 

MAYBE I CAN DRIVE HIM A FEW MILES NOW 

• Like 5

well he is finicky like a bitch but she named him Marvin the martian

right now if I named the car it would be fu-- bi---

changed the gear oil in the diff tonight and tried to change the temperature sending unit but this happened

the thermostat keeper nut broke off leaving the threads in the head

the thermostat wont come out but it is going to be a pain to fix

IMG_20150220_191850054_zps32lty8oj.jpg

• Like 1