Northport Datsun

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I have his address so I will mail him a letter today.  I sent him a PM this morning.

Charlie, did you send that letter?

We need to get this guy logged in again! I've got dome light lense blue balls!

• Like 3

Charlie, did you send that letter?

We need to get this guy logged in again! I've got dome light lense blue balls!

Yes no response.

Me thinks him and Smoke was the same person!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am fortunate enough to be able to create my own 3D CAD models and have access to an Airwolf 3D printer that uses a wide variety of plastic types including some that are flexible as well as stronger plastics such as ABS versus machines that can only print with PLA plastics.

But in the long run there are limitations of size and shapes for what can be made. For instance that white plastic housing for the tail lights was longer in length than most 3D desktop printers can handle. Also it would not be easy to print because there was a flat detail where the bulb units locked in. That flat area was suspended pretty much in the air well above the surface of the printer bed and that means that area would be unsupported in the model. You can't print that kind of shape without creating a lattice of support structure. You could potentially make dissolving structure supports with a 2 nozzle printer that is printing a plastic that will dissolve away in one of the nozzles. The dual nozzle machines are becoming more commonly available now in the under 5K price range but in that price range you might not get a large enough build platform for that piece as well as multiple nozzles.

3D printing is not super difficult to learn as far as understanding what kind of shapes can and can't be easily printed. The 3D CAD programs are also getting easier to learn and use than they were even 5 years ago. There are also a lot of "maker shops" sprouting up all across the country where you can rent time on machines and take classes on the subject. Of course they are also buying these machines and putting them in schools including elementary schools. Public libraries are also starting to acquire them but it will be a while before they are a common item in public libraries due to budget constraints for trained employees to manage them who can also train the public on using them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

kb25t17 are you offering to make parts? 

You have added some good information.

Charlie69, I am not offering to make parts. Its not my printer but I am allowed to use it for any project I would want to make for myself.

The only thing I am thinking of at the moment I might use it for in terms of my 720 is I would like to utilize the original radio compartment for a mount for one of the GPS Units that has a backup camera screen built into it. Its too narrow of a space to put in one of the standard size DIN units so I will mount a tablet style that can swivel into a comfortable view position and swivel back to flush to the dash when not needed. So some parts will be off the shelf such as a stand that clamps onto that type of LED screen and some will need to be fabricated to fit to that specific radio space to connect to that swivel clamp stand. This is the type of project is when a 3D printer is very nice to have around, making a missing link, custom face plates, special knobs and such. Fortunately there is also a laser cutter here and a small CNC milling machine. Lots of fun tech toys for me to play with when I am of a mind to :)

• 4 years later...

I'm keeping my KC unit but I am doing something upgraded and Nissan
A Pathy unit will give you more light .
The Pathy lens is same perimeter as 620 KC. I am waiting on a 620 base to mod the Pathy dome to fit
I have lots of NOS OEM Pathy lenses
I have the Pathy units also, with the harness clip.
Clip allows plug in on the 620

PATHY HOLE ACROSS THE ASTREET 015.JPG

004.JPG

PATHFINDER MOD 004.JPG

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Goemon said:

the top link is for standard cab 620's, not king cab 620's.

the lower link is for 620's & 521's standards, no king cabs in 521 models. Except for Wayno's. 

🙂

I am a 33 yr KC owner.
I didn't say the links were for KC.
How did you come to that determination?
This is a post for 620 standard cab lens.
I keep getting shit for trying to help people here.
This place sux

Edited by Goemon
I fucking wanted to
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Goemon said:

I am a 33 yr KC owner.
I didn't say the links were for KC.
How did you come to that determination?
This is a post for 620 standard cab lens.
I keep getting shit for trying to help people here.
This place sux

You are helping.

On 8/12/2015 at 3:04 AM, kb25t17 said:

3D printing is not super difficult to learn as far as understanding what kind of shapes can and can't be easily printed. The 3D CAD programs are also getting easier to learn and use than they were even 5 years ago. There are also a lot of "maker shops" sprouting up all across the country where you can rent time on machines and take classes on the subject. Of course they are also buying these machines and putting them in schools including elementary schools. Public libraries are also starting to acquire them but it will be a while before they are a common item in public libraries due to budget constraints for trained employees to manage them who can also train the public on using them.

I was booked into a class at my public library, then Covid happened.