3D printed Dome Light Lens for your 620

Northport Datsun

There are some limitations. I have Makerbot Replicator 2 which has an 11L x 6W x 6.1H size limit. I print in PLA only. A machine that prints in ABS (much more durable material) requires a heated table top. Much more costly than the Replicator 2. But they are out there. If you have a model made, you can easily find companies that set themselves up as a printing service. Likewise, there are a lot of privateers doing modeling. So for example, a front signal lense on a valence, that's relatively easy to model from an existing one, but I'm not sure how well that would hold up in direct sunlight if it's PLA material. It should probably be ABS. Then there's the other factor, as some one posted, where a part might be available for only a few dollars. I'm more interested in printing parts that are not so available.

• Like 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fuse box cover, that's what I'm talking about! Mine is missing completely. Send me the broke one and let me try it.

Mailing out a lens to Joe Cool today. Let me know how it fits. I'm not sure if all the housings were identical and how worn the tabs are. Mine is brittle and worn, but not to worry, the beauty of 3D printing is that you can easily scale the model up or down and make slight adjustments.

Very close on the drop in cup holder for the console. I actually have the design modeled but we are tweaking it to reduce the amount of filament. Can't wait to post it, and anyone that sends me a part to model, I'll offer you a print too.

• Like 3

That fuse box cover could be modeled and printed. It does not look too complicated. I would have to start with one that's close to the right shape. It doesn't matter if it has a hole in it or if one side is missing (if it's symmetrical). Mine is missing. Anyone have one? I would appreciate loaning it to me for modeling and posting.

About that 411 Tail Light Housing; that could be done, but this is where the economics of what you want to duplicate come in. It's too large to digitize on a consumer level 3D Scanner. They only handle objects about the size of a 6" cube. It would need to be modeled using CMM to capture all the complex curves, then it would have to be printed on an industrial size printer. All those services would cost a lot of money and if there's not enough demand you would never recoup it. So, sometimes the most economic thing to do is find a better replacement.

As you see from the prior post, you can buy an entire fuse block with the cover included, brand new for about $40.00, but you could print a 3D replacement for pennies.

• Like 1

Nope, at least not mine. Mine is a piece about roughly 6" long and 1" high.

That fuse box cover could be modeled and printed. It does not look too complicated. I would have to start with one that's close to the right shape. It doesn't matter if it has a hole in it or if one side is missing (if it's symmetrical). Mine is missing. Anyone have one? I would appreciate loaning it to me for modeling and posting.

About that 411 Tail Light Housing; that could be done, but this is where the economics of what you want to duplicate come in. It's too large to digitize on a consumer level 3D Scanner. They only handle objects about the size of a 6" cube. It would need to be modeled using CMM to capture all the complex curves, then it would have to be printed on an industrial size printer. All those services would cost a lot of money and if there's not enough demand you would never recoup it. So, sometimes the most economic thing to do is find a better replacement.

As you see from the prior post, you can buy an entire fuse block with the cover included, brand new for about $40.00, but you could print a 3D replacement for pennies.

When the lens gets here I'll mail you what's left of the fuse box cover along with measurements of the space left over.

• Like 1

Excellent Joe Cool, excellent. Try my lens and don't force it. If it's loose or tight, the beauty of 3 modeling is one quick scale change, and another can be printed for a custom fit. I'll gladly make another.

Giving me a part I'm missing to model is way cool. Thanks a  million. I'll post the fuse box cover as soon as it's ready. And, a shout out to 77Adam77, thanks again for the glove box knob. That's another part I'm missing. I'll get that measured and returned ASAP while I model it. Another soon to be posted part. ( and that's one I don't think is for sale anywhere too).

Printing the first prototype drop in cup holder right now. Can't wait to not have to hold my Espresso while I navigate my 620 to work in the morning.

• Like 2

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-R5JjQg8ZN4g/UpyK7CxYIWI/AAAAAAAAAOs/uN3qq-MjOSk/w941-h751-no/20131130_124237.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wa7780aVeHM/VMast8ULqYI/AAAAAAAAA5U/J2bpYWPdEL0/w473-h841-no/20141214_184959.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S_lWR4kOA8Y/VMas8o7-NOI/AAAAAAAAA7s/-53ZXR4Wumc/w473-h841-no/20141112_184339.jpg

My 620 BTW. I wish I could simply post a picture, but apparently Ratsun is a little different for everyone. I was able to find a way to post links though. We are finishing the Cup Holder this weekend. We are working on the Glove Box Door Knob also.

I have a 1976 long bed automatic, I removed the emission carb set up and put a SSS set up from Paltech and a set of Hardbody discs from Mike Klotz. Problem now is finding enough time to drive the Z, because the truck is so much fun.

• Like 3

Good looking truck and Z. I think you need to do a "build thread."

Back on topic, I got the lens yesterday, by the time I got around to having time to install it it was dark. Put it on today, fits great and looks very nice. Heck, I think it look better than the stock lens, definitely looks tougher as it is thicker plastic.

0408546B-0630-4DE3-9F11-0BDF3EA511A8_zps

B95B0A85-74BE-4446-A928-13303D218A9F_zps

Light on

b15490e9-c5d1-4102-8921-e5de406a671e_zps

It definitely looks better than this ugly dryrotted thing! It wasn't even on the truck, I found it behind the seat.

dce36938-d4a8-44d0-94d5-a16fb29c6223_zps

• Like 2

Your old one is exactly what mine looked like. We modeled it from a partial lens. Looks great in your truck. Glad it worked out. I'm satisfied now that it fits. I could not be too sure with my old housing. Thanks for the feedback!

That's one done. That part is now "free" for anyone to download off Thingiverse and print out. More to come.

(I probably should start a thread on my builds. Here, I'll stay on topic).

• Like 2