3D printed Dome Light Lens for your 620

Northport Datsun

Check out my 3D Printed dome light lens for my 620. It's at Thingiverse.com. Search Datsun and you will find it. Want one? I'll print one for you free if you can share some parts for modeling. I desperately need the small rectangular panel pieces that cover the heater control mounting screws. I also need the glove box door knob, sun visor clips, and I would like to attempt an automatic transmission knob. All parts will be returned to you, and I'll print you one also. Check it out and contact me if you're interested.

• Like 5
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need one of those! Mine broke, it dryrotted and fell apart. I want a clear/white one. Email sent!

These are the lenses he made by the way. Looks good!

Yellow_and_Clear_preview_featured.jpg

Clear_Dome_preview_featured.jpg

Yellow_Dome_preview_featured.jpg

Figured I would post the pictures for him. Good work, look more durable as well. :thumbup:

I swear, 3D printing is the coolest thing going right now! I watched something on the news a few weeks ago where someone made a working "robot" hand for a disabled little boy for the total cost of $24 in supplies, how cool is that? And it can revolutionize the old car parts business. Heck, think of all the overpriced, hard to find parts people can buy to fix up their old cars... Northport, you could start up a car parts business! Ready to get rich?

• Like 3

The parts for modeling don't need to be very nice condition at all. The basic dimensions for the details like the tabs on the lens that hold it in place were important, but everything is adjustable once it's in the model form. My lens was modeled from the one in my 1976 Standard Cab 620. It was partially disintegrated (just as someone else described). Half of it was missing. My son is a Solid Works Pro and he happens to work at Makerbot. I have a Replicator and a Digitizer, but I find his 3D models print better than anything Digitized.

I have not made anything for the Z car or the 510, but I will attempt anything (as long as it's Datsun). I have a complete 1970 Z car in my garage, so if anyone needs something, give me an idea. My goal is to put up as many items as possible on Thingiverse to let the Datsun community pull it down and print it for free. I want to share as much as I can, and in return, I just want to get some of these hard to find parts. I've restored Z cars for 30 years, but restoring these old Pick ups is a real challenge. not everything is available.

Anybody have anything I'm looking for, or want a me to try something else, or if you just want a lens, email me. cgalasso@optonline.net. Thanks for replying - Chris

• Like 4

It's possible! There are limitations due to the size of the printer. It's also possible to print in pieces. The material I use (PLA), bonds super strong with simple modeling glue. I know what you're talking about though. My light housing was quite brittle too. I'm not familiar with the 521 tail light housing. Take a pic with a lens on (no disassembly) and measure the overall length for starters.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting those Pics. I am struggling to figure out how to do that. I am a "Newbie". The whole 3D printing community is very new and everyone's trying to find a niche. I know there are some impossible to find parts and then there are those that are just too expensive. I don't think the purist will every be satisfied with anything less than OEM or NOS, but 3D printing is finding a place and it will satisfy a lot of needs. My dome light was half missing and almost dust. I found a replacement in Singapore that was expensive and  with a lot of extra shipping costs. After we modeled one from my piece of junk, I printed it in an hour. It snapped right in! 

I want to thank everyone for there interest and those of you promising to sending some of those little parts to model and post, Thanks a million. I will return all and share the results. I'm also working on a drop in cup holder for the 76 620 console. I'm probably posting that next.

• Like 4