Hitachi DCH328

pl521sss

Hitachi's are more complicated because of the emissions and MPG constraints put on stock carbs. They tend to have a smallish primary which is good for mileage and low speed operation, or in other words every day driving where performance isn't the main goal. Never had a Weber, but I hear they are good. But I also believe that many have put them on to replace a very tired or worn out Hitachi and so they seem to work much better, duh! When an Hitachi is working well it's good too.

Webers are often tuned by exchanging jets... why do we never hear about changing jets in the Hitachi carb.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a 620 owner years ago that had had the nissan dealership tune his cam'd motor. Still had the Hitachi on it and he was very specific in the conversation about the jet changing. Thinking back, this must have been about 1989, as i was interested in buying the truck, but he wasnt ready to sell yet. I have no idea what or where he got larger jets from either.

Jason

[quote=datzenmike;86287.....

Webers are often tuned by exchanging jets... why do we never hear about changing jets in the Hitachi carb.

If you take the L20b Hitachi carbs DCH340 to work with L16 or L18, re-jetting is necessary and said to be better than DCH328.

Secondly, hardly or no one ever runs Hitachi on a modified motor so we never hear about anyone re-jetting their Hitachi's cause the norm is to go with weber or other after market carb.

While on the subject of Hitachi carbs

Anyone know what year and what cartruck these air filter housing came out of?

Two different air filter housing, one with hotcold opening and one without.

filter-housing001.jpg

filter-housing007.jpg

filter-housing010.jpg

Other type of air filter housing

filter-housing009.jpg

I think my old Canadian '71 was vacuum operated. The heat shield on the manifold was rusted off though. I cut a large Maxwell House can open and wrapped it around ... worked. I think the early Z cars had the manual too.