Hitachi DCH328

pl521sss

I swapped my Weber to Hitachi DCH328.

Opted for a smoother engine and suffer on the performance.

Removed the diaphragm assembly (#9 on the drawing) that connects to the secondaries.

It got in the way of the throttle cable (long story) but can explain if needed to be.

Question

Now that this diaphragm removed, what issues will I expect at WOT or at least when the secondaries starts to open?

DCH340.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I swapped my Weber to Hitachi DCH328.

Opted for a smoother engine and suffer on the performance.

Removed the diaphragm assembly (#9 on the drawing) that connects to the secondaries.

It got in the way of the throttle cable (long story) but can explain if needed to be.

Question

Now that this diaphragm removed, what issues will I expect at WOT or at least when the secondaries starts to open?

:lol: The diaphragm is what opens the secondaries. .... (I hate when that happens!)

Ummmm, does that mean suffer performance -AND- mpg? :eek:

:lol: The diaphragm is what opens the secondaries. .... (I hate when that happens!)

Well, the secondary butterfly is free to move as soon as it passes certain throttle position. At that point I would think the force of the air going in will make the butterfly just open up.

Ummmm, does that mean suffer performance -AND- mpg? :eek:

Weber is quicker off the line and any speed.

MPG is hard to tell cause it's not noticeable yet.

Still goes with no problem even in the highway.

Can reach 80MPH with no problem.

If that diaphragm is really what opens it then have to figure out how to get it in there to work with the throttle cable.

Will take picture during the day to show what I mean.

according to this the hitachi gets better mileage and runs smoother than the weber 32/36. not trying to start the old war back up but i have heard this from other people also.

http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/Hitachi_DCH340

somewhere a few years ago there was a real good comprehensive write up on the hitachi vs weber but i cant find it. i'll keep looking.

so both sides still say that each is smoother, more power and better mileage. personally i have webers on my l16 and l20b but i had a dch340 once that would smoke the pants off a weber and was smooth with good mileage. i wish they weren't so temperamental. i'm planning on checking out my hitachi's to see if i can get better mileage. i have a couple 328's. the 340 is the one to get.

sorry i have no answers for you. i haven't ran a hitachi for many years.

Big thing is to be sure it will close when you let off on the gas. If it jams full open the primary interlock may not reach it to close it.

It closes when you release the throttle.

That diaphragm then is what resist the secondary butterfly from just opening up right away.

I'm intrigue on Hitachi DCH340 and how it can be made to work better than Weber 3236. Anyone have one for sale?

Big thing is to be sure it will close when you let off on the gas. If it jams full open the primary interlock may not reach it to close it.

according to this the hitachi gets better mileage and runs smoother than the weber 32/36. not trying to start the old war back up but i have heard this from other people also.

http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/Hitachi_DCH340

somewhere a few years ago there was a real good comprehensive write up on the hitachi vs weber but i cant find it. i'll keep looking.

so both sides still say that each is smoother, more power and better mileage. personally i have webers on my l16 and l20b but i had a dch340 once that would smoke the pants off a weber and was smooth with good mileage. i wish they weren't so temperamental. i'm planning on checking out my hitachi's to see if i can get better mileage. i have a couple 328's. the 340 is the one to get.

sorry i have no answers for you. i haven't ran a hitachi for many years.

Other reason why I switched back to entertain the idea of better Hitachi carb.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_carb_tuning_guide.html

Yes, I've reviewed it, however, that's the only time I've heard anything good about the Hitachi carbs.

OTOH, few people were successful with the stock Rochester QuadraJet (fondly known as the QuadraJunk) on Chevy's although there were a few folks successfully racing with them.

take it from me someone who cant change carbs due to smog junk the hitachi there such crap i have had to do so much work on mine just to keep the damn thing together i dont know if you will have the same problem because you are runnining s cable but the action of the linkage causes the carb to seperate :eek: thus giving you a huge leak

Yes, I've reviewed it, however, that's the only time I've heard anything good about the Hitachi carbs.

OTOH, few people were successful with the stock Rochester QuadraJet (fondly known as the QuadraJunk) on Chevy's although there were a few folks successfully racing with them.

Good point

I won't use Hitachi carbs for racing either

Didn't like them for a long time cause don't want that air filter housing and other hoses that goes with it.

Solution, run it without the housing.

Hands down, Hitachi is a lot smoother and works well in cold mornings.

take it from me someone who cant change carbs due to smog junk the hitachi there such crap i have had to do so much work on mine just to keep the damn thing together i dont know if you will have the same problem because you are runnining s cable but the action of the linkage causes the carb to seperate :eek: thus giving you a huge leak

Hitachi carbs are complicated

If not overhauled right, won't run right.

That's where the issue your having.

I say this cause I have a properly overhauled Hitachi carb (like new condition) and it's perfect.

This is not to convince folks to switch over.

Stay with what works for you.

Hitachi carbs are not junk

They would be if their old and worn out hence it will work like crap.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a pic of the stock throttle cable as it attaches to the carb? I get how the end hooks on but there is a "stop" I believe is missing...

Not sure what your looking for but this is what mine looks like.

Carb is out of a 510 and it's slightly different.

Removed the secondary diaphragm and swapped the throttle mechanism from my old 521 Hitachi carb to work with the cable rather than the linkage.

HitachiDCH328005.jpg

Hitachi carbs are complicated

If not overhauled right, won't run right.

That's where the issue your having.

I say this cause I have a properly overhauled Hitachi carb (like new condition) and it's perfect.

This is not to convince folks to switch over.

Stay with what works for you.

Hitachi carbs are not junk

They would be if their old and worn out hence it will work like crap.

it was rebuilt by an ase certified master tech (my dad he even has the papers to proove it) it works just fine just i find the car kinda starves for fuel in the higher rpm ranges (i like to beat on it once in a while) that and finding a good rebuild kit (all the diaphrams for the secondaries and so on) is really really hard and there a pain in the ass to tune

it was rebuilt by an ase certified master tech (my dad he even has the papers to proove it) it works just fine just i find the car kinda starves for fuel in the higher rpm ranges (i like to beat on it once in a while) that and finding a good rebuild kit (all the diaphrams for the secondaries and so on) is really really hard and there a pain in the ass to tune

hmm

ok

exactly what do you mean by hard to tune?

There's only fuel mixture and idle speed to work with it for you standard motor.

So your saying Hitachi's are junk?

Like I said, Hitachi's are not for everybody specially if you don't like it to begin with.

I LOVE IT

I learned recently that those idle and mixture screws are only for idle (mostly), idle I knew, a/f I didn't. To tune these properly a person would have to do tons of runs with different jets to figure out what works best on any engine. Bleh. Gimmie fuel injection any day.

hmmm

what carb did you have before this?

Are you switching back to the OEM carb?

I was Taking different pieces from a couple of places (2 trucks) to get where I am at. The truck it is in didn't have the throttle cable so it came from somewhere else.

Not sure what your looking for but this is what mine looks like.

Carb is out of a 510 and it's slightly different.

Removed the secondary diaphragm and swapped the throttle mechanism from my old 521 Hitachi carb to work with the cable rather than the linkage.

HitachiDCH328005.jpg

how is the trottle responce over the linkage? and i guess junk is to strong a word but there not my favorite if i could i would rather run a weber