Distributor Rotor Position on #1 TDC For E1

difrangia

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I can't.

But strictly speaking, any position of the rotor that places it beneath a plug wire on the cap will work. Where ever this points... THAT wire now becomes #1 and the other wires can be arranged 3,4,2 around it in a counter clockwise direction.

This is subject to it being within range of correct timing without running out of adjustment.

• Like 1

I don't know what dist. cap you have, but on the traditional type cap, my 1964 NL320 is the plug closest to the firewall(9:00).

But I have a matchbox dist, so it a from scratch situation.

On my 62 U320 which has the other type of cap, it is clocked a little different where the point of the wires are at 10:30/1:30/4:30/7:30 where 12:00 is straight up, that one #1 would be at the 4:30 position, that one is a stock cap, and it will always be a stock cap, as the top of the cap is a half inch from the column shaft.

• Like 1

What I'm looking for is the factory position for rotor on #1 TDC. I'm also using an electronic, but with the remote control module. I do realize that the rotor can be clocked at pretty much any position as long as the firing order is correct and the timing is attained. I want to clock the vacumn advance close to the original and would like the rotor close also. Not such a big deal when you're buzzing down the road, just a personal quirk. 

I looked in my books I have, and it only showed the L16 and L28 #1 position, it did not show the Vac Adv position.

With the metal Vac Adv line the early E1s had, your pretty limited on where it can be pointed, my U320 is pointed back towards the firewall, and down towards the starter a little.

DSCN3953.JPG

• Like 1