dogleg 5 speed into a 521?

allen dodson

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking into doing the same swap. I've been checking around and from what I've found out, it should bolt up to the engine no problem. You will need to modify the trans mount, but the drive shaft should fit w/ no mods if it has the short coupling. My 521 has the 2 piece shaft and I got a one piece shaft I was going to swap w/ the dogleg, but it has the long coupling so I will need to cut it down to fit the tailshaft properly. Not sure about the tunnel hole but I believe from what I've read it may interfere w/ your benchseat. If anyone wants to correct me, feel free. I'm all for learning from others experience.

Know this thread has been here probally a million times over but................

I'm all for helping folks and we all started out knowing nothing, but what? You're too lazy to do any work and want to be spoon fed? Now, if you had tried searching and still had questions, that would be different, but you didn't.

Just sayin'.....

Yeah, I can be an ass sometimes, but this pushes my buttons.

Thank you dqami for showing how it's done.

Rant...you go boy!:D

I know all about buttons! :blink: WE all started out dumb...some of us are still really dumb...some of us are just really good at it.:mellow: like me!

Yeah, do a search...

and then let me tell you that there should be no problem with the shifter tunnel and the bench seat having issues. I put the Zcar 5speed in mine and the bench is in the exact same spot that it was when I started...and my trans is 5 inches longer than the stock 4 speed. IDK about any other trans mount modifications or drive shaft stuff with the dogleg, since I went with the close-ratio box from a Z.

Peace...best to ya with it all, it is worth it man...I love having my 5speed in! My little truck will go over 100 now no problem!:eek:

Now if I can just find the time to install all those new drums/shoes and hardware...:rolleyes: so that it will stop at least half as good as it goes.

The 521 used a two part drive shaft with center carrier bearing. This front drive shaft bolts has a 4 bolt flange that mates to a matching flange output on the stock 4 spd. In essence the drive shaft just bolts to the transmission.

The dogleg tranny is used with a splined drive shaft that slides into the end of the tail stock. I would think if you remove the U joint you could remove the flange part and substitute a spline.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/620stuff003Large-1.jpg[/img]"]620stuff003Large-1.jpg

Here's where a little imagination helps... in the photo above look at the middle of the top drive shaft where the nuts and bolts are. Now ignore everything to the left and IMAGINE there is a 521 4spd tail stock there. The round disc is the tranny flange, and the drive shaft to the right is bolted to it. The drive shaft below with the spline on the end is what you want on your drive shaft. The splines are inside the shiny thing and it slips into the dogleg tranny.

• 2 months later...
The 521 used a two part drive shaft with center carrier bearing. This front drive shaft bolts has a 4 bolt flange that mates to a matching flange output on the stock 4 spd. In essence the drive shaft just bolts to the transmission.

The dogleg tranny is used with a splined drive shaft that slides into the end of the tail stock. I would think if you remove the U joint you could remove the flange part and substitute a spline.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/620stuff003Large-1.jpg[/img]"]620stuff003Large-1.jpg

Here's where a little imagination helps... in the photo above look at the middle of the top drive shaft where the nuts and bolts are. Now ignore everything to the left and IMAGINE there is a 521 4spd tail stock there. The round disc is the tranny flange, and the drive shaft to the right is bolted to it. The drive shaft below with the spline on the end is what you want on your drive shaft. The splines are inside the shiny thing and it slips into the dogleg tranny.

Datzenmike,

Where might I find one of these splined shafts that slide in to the dogleg tranny, besides the car that the transmission came out of. I'm working on this swap now. Thanks!

Ok, here is what I have found. Someone, who has some experience with this swap, correct me if this is wrong.

The flange on a stock 521 four speed can be pulled out and slid right on to a short tailed dogleg 5 speed. This allows you to bolt the dogleg up to the stock 521 driveshaft without cutting the driveshaft. I will need to take 2 inches out of my tranny mount. A freeze plug can be used to block off the end of the dogleg tranny to keep from dripping fluids?

Sounds too easy, right?

Edited by datto510
best to ask Ice house on this one.

Hes done like 2 on the 521.

I still think he used the 521 flange. just didnt throw that bolt(big nut not needed) Just slide the 521 one back in.

But PM Icehouse on here .

what datto 510 said

Thanks Hainz! Got a pretty good grasp on it now!

• 10 months later...

Just looking at this dogleg thread here. Allen asked for help and look at the response ppeters914 gave him. What a prick. Let me guess, Allen was banned because he found ppeters914 and kicked his ass for his rude comment? Just a hunch.